P3s DBS mod only reaching 1000m?

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here, so I should start by saying Hi.

Bought my P3S a couple months back for urban exploration videos etc and have been playing round with it for a while. Decided I wanted to extend the range as 400m is just quite not enough for what I wanted, so after some deliberation between the DBS mod and the ARGtek mod I decided the DBS mod was the one to go for.

I've installed it and it seems to work pretty well, however It seems to reach a fraction over 1000m before I loose the fpv. Vast improvement, so I'm pretty happy with it. However I've seen plenty of videos of people getting there P3s to well over 1000m.

I am wondering whats different in my case? I'm in the UK so I am assuming I have the CE version, which from my understanding has a slightly shorter range than the FCC version?

The only thing I did that varied from most of the install instructions I saw was to keep the two stock square Wifi radios in the controller, just left them disconnected and secured the loose wires with tape. They were actually really stuck in there, so It seemed easier just to leave them.
Would this make a difference?

Anyway thanks in advanced.

its wifi so all depends on area you are flying in .how much interference you have

Hi, For long range a directional antenna is best, try a 5 turn helical but remember its directional - you need to move your head (if using goggles) to follow the aircraft to keep the image, i just posted 2 longish range vids on my Youtube channel from some time ago, i know one was 1400mtrs, not sure on the other.

If you're saying that you went from 400m to 1000m, isn't that a 150% improvement? Like "flpholt" said, it all depends on where and how much interference you have in that area. If I remember in CE mode it's only rated for 500m, right? So you're now x2 that. With FCC mode I've only made it out to 1700m so far. From my point of view you're doing ok.

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so I should start by saying Hi.

Bought my P3S a couple months back for urban exploration videos etc and have been playing round with it for a while. Decided I wanted to extend the range as 400m is just quite not enough for what I wanted, so after some deliberation between the DBS mod and the ARGtek mod I decided the DBS mod was the one to go for.

I've installed it and it seems to work pretty well, however It seems to reach a fraction over 1000m before I loose the fpv. Vast improvement, so I'm pretty happy with it. However I've seen plenty of videos of people getting there P3s to well over 1000m.

I am wondering whats different in my case? I'm in the UK so I am assuming I have the CE version, which from my understanding has a slightly shorter range than the FCC version?

The only thing I did that varied from most of the install instructions I saw was to keep the two stock square Wifi radios in the controller, just left them disconnected and secured the loose wires with tape. They were actually really stuck in there, so It seemed easier just to leave them.
Would this make a difference?

Anyway thanks in advanced.

Gromell,
I have the same CE issue here in Australia. Though with my P3S and DBS mod I have gotten out to 3.2klm in farmland. See my video here
Don't be put off, as I had issues for a little while. Getting used to pointing it at the drone as it is more directional than the original. Good luck and keep on flying

I was getting 280m before the DBS mod 500m -600m after Then10m after the1.6 FW update ! So it's back in China .Im in Australia open farmland as well .You should buy a lottery ticket with luck like that .You abviously got a good one

Hi Gromell,

You have gain preety big improvement of range, from 400m to 1000m it sounds really great.

When you asked about how someone else might get better range almost 2000m or may be more, i wish you have noticed on differences on the circumstances arround you and someone you mentioned above.

Just want to let you know, i am able to get 900 meters with stock antenna, and 1100+ with windsurfer only on 5.8 antenna. But it only happen when i fly on the vilage, above the farm field, faraway fron the city, building, or trees, and i had to manage altitude to be somewhere about 30-40 degre from horizon.

Finally, we have to understand there are so many factors regarding signal range, and this is all i know.

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have found the DBS mod the best bang for the buck on my p3s. It's a more solid bird now and I am less stressed about fly-always or sun spots and solar flares. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I originally was reaching 400m as well and with the DBS mod can only reach about 900m. Yes that's an improvement, but I'm stuck but at 400m in urban environments. In a secluded lake over water (which should improve reception) I was still only able to get 900m. I'm assuming it's something wrong hardware wise. When my phantom was brand new I was getting 900m in the first week. Then all of a sudden the next day I couldn't get past 400m. No crashes or firmware updates. But you are correct, many people are flying much further with DBS mods than us which I'm not entirely sure as to how that works.

So I have been playing with it a lot more recently, and I've managed to get 2km out of it so far. I'd imagine i could maybe get a little more, but 2km is good enough for me. I'm now happy!

Great to hear that you are getting some good range.
I do recall reading some places that the 1.6.8 firmware has reduced the transmission distance for CE mode to only 300 meters so If you have 1.6.8, that might be reducing it even more.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj