P3 Firmware P3S Current FW Version?

Reaction score
Hi folks -- New to DJI, UAVs and this forum. Patience for a newbie, please... ;)

Quick question: Reading a lot about FW upgrades, but it seems that the new versions are for models other than the P3 Standard. Mine is at v1.6.8 -- Is this the most current version for the P3 Standard?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the quick reply, Don! According to my flight logs, my max altitude has been 395 ft (plenty high for me, but I'm sure it could go higher. Other issue is a general aviation airport 5 miles to the north, so I need to avoid that traffic...), and the straight-line distance was several hundred meters -- far enough that I felt uncomfortable because I couldn't see it in the sky and brought it back.

To be honest, the unit flies wonderfully and does everything I expect it to do and much more. Really a lot of fun!!! I'm just one of those knuckleheads who thinks he needs to upgrade his gear whenever an update comes out.

Gutch, the reason he asks about your altitude is that those of us who did a firmware update not long ago are suffering from the ability to get more than about 200' from the controller. We are desperate for a firmware update to fix this. Glad you're not having problems!

Thanks for the info, Mduehmig!

Somewhat related, I downloaded Litchi yesterday and gave it a try. I found that when using that software, I could barely get to the end of my residential block before the Auto RTH brought the P3S back home. I went back to DJI Go and everything worked fine again. Weird, as I thought that the app had nothing to do with the communication between the RC and the bird. I also found the Litchi app made the controller response time lag significantly. (Using an iPhone 6+)

Here is my stats. P3-4K, I've found that remote areas away from urban dwellings and their wifi AP's, cordless phones 2.4ghz phones, wireless alarm signals, etc, are best for range and distance.

Curious if those with the 200' problem are flying in high density RFI environments, where there is a lot of other devices broadcasting....

upload_2016-8-9_17-53-53.png

In my case, I have a P3S, and almost always fly in the open desert. No antennas, to trees, no houses, nothing! Only the occasional Joshua tree that never gets over 20 feet high. I also have and fly a P3 Pro. I can get tremendous range with that one. So far I've gone almost 2 miles on one of my search patterns. No problems there!

I wonder if maybe there is physical damage, like a disconnected/broken/misrouted during assembly antenna?

I wonder if maybe there is physical damage, like a disconnected/broken/misrouted during assembly antenna?
Hard to say. But I rather doubt it. I tried installing the ARGtek antennas first. When that didn't help much, I removed them again. There are three antennas in the RC. I believe the two flat panel ones are for video, which has always been strong. Never cuts out. The pole antenna is for controlling the drone. At least that's my understanding. I've double checked it several times and can't see any thing wrong with it. I am leaning more toward some kind of interference though. Because every now and then I can get ,1000 feet. I once got 1,400 feet in a particular desert location. The the next time I only got 300 feet in the same location. Very confusing. As I said once before, I search in the desert for lost crash sites and other points of interest where range is important. I use my Pro for that now. I just used the Standard for in close practice. It's still fun to fly. I'm anxiously waiting for the next firmware update to see what that does.

Gutch, is your antenna oriented properly ( parallel to the legs of the bird)? I ask because if it's not, that will significantly reduce your range. I see newbies all the time pointing their antenna(s) directly at the drone even though the manual explains this. I've even seen an instructionsl video on Youtube telling the viewers to point the antennas at the drone!

Gutch, is your antenna oriented properly ( parallel to the legs of the bird)? I ask because if it's not, that will significantly reduce your range. I see newbies all the time pointing their antenna(s) directly at the drone even though the manual explains this. I've even seen an instructionsl video on Youtube telling the viewers to point the antennas at the drone!

Hi Pharm - Thanks for the note. As someone who works in the professional world of RF (and former Ham operator), I'm all too familiar with antenna design, polarity and position, FM propagation characteristics and the impact of RFI/EMI on low power transmission. You are correct that proper antenna orientation, as well as maintaining a clear LOS for the signal, are fundamentally very important to maintain the communication link.

Reactions: Easy-V

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj