P3S coming. iPhone 5s question

Reaction score
I have a P3S on the way. I will be using my iPhone 5s for now. I can't get the storage down to 1 gb available without deleting some rather necessary apps. Is it imperative to have 1 gb available?

** edit: I fiddled some more and got 1.03gb free space. Still would like to see some input on this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
I believe that if you disable local video caching in DJI GO, you won't need so much free space. There's plenty of posts about optimizing phones/tablets for DJI GO, both on iOS and Android, I suggest you also look into that. I did a few flights with my iPhone 5 and it worked flawlessly, despite being officially unsupported, so the 5S should work well, too.
I personally found the screen to be too small, though, so I ended up buying a cheap 7" tablet (Samsung Tab A 2016): not the most powerful and responsive device on the market, but it does the job quite well, and the screen is the perfect size for me.

Thank you! I do plan on buying possibly an iPad Mini 4 later on. I concur that the screen on a 5s would be small. I see people walking blindly along in busy malls, etc., with their noses just about touching the screen, reading an important bookface blurb.

I initially tried to use my iPhone 5s with the P3S with lackluster results; the video was VERY choppy. I had done everything that was recommended and had freed up 4 gb of space, alternately, I used my iPad Air with pretty good results.

Interestingly, the 5S and iPad Air have very similar specs but the phone just didn't seem to be up to the task.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I initially tried to use my iPhone 5s with the P3S with lackluster results; the video was VERY choppy. I had done everything that was recommended and had freed up 4 gb of space, alternately, I used my iPad Air with pretty good results.

Interestingly, the 5S and iPad Air have very similar specs but the phone just didn't seem to be up to the task.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
The A7 is more than powerful enough to not get choppy video. I have a mini retina (v2) and it streams flawlessly. With Hardware decoding on it should be golden.

My 5S was what I used to fly before getting an ipad mini 2 a few months ago. You definitely do not need 1gb of space, i never knew that you did and never had a problem with just the 100mb or so the app takes up.
The only problem I had was the feed would start to stutter quite a bit whenever I had my camera set to video, whether i was recording or not. I turned off video caching since i didn't and still don't have a use for it and no problems.

The A7 is more than powerful enough to not get choppy video. I have a mini retina (v2) and it streams flawlessly. With Hardware decoding on it should be golden.
I know, it should be, I just had a lot of problems getting my 5S to not be choppy. I tried it recently and it was better, but not as good as my iPad Air. I actually have more free space on my phone than the iPad, but it did not seem to make a difference. I must be missing something in the settings that I got right with the iPad.

I know, it should be, I just had a lot of problems getting my 5S to not be choppy. I tried it recently and it was better, but not as good as my iPad Air. I actually have more free space on my phone than the iPad, but it did not seem to make a difference. I must be missing something in the settings that I got right with the iPad.

Did you try with hardware acceleration on?

I used a mini 2 and it's perfect.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj