P3s aftermarket battery

Dji is a drone company not a battery company. I have more trust in companies that only make batteries such as limefuel . Limefuel made great batteries for the p2 and hopefully they will be putting out a battery for the p3. Dji doesn't exactly have the best track record. There will always be companies trying to improve a product.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Dji is a drone company not a battery company. I have more trust in companies that only make batteries such as limefuel . Limefuel made great batteries for the p2 and hopefully they will be putting out a battery for the p3. Dji doesn't exactly have the best track record. There will always be companies trying to improve a product.
Do you think there is a chance limefuel simply purchase good quality cells and use them to make great batteries?

I doubt they make the cells.

The aftermarket batteries may be fine for the P3 but DJI claims not to have released the full battery soecs to tje point they have claimed they can defeat any aftermarket batteries from being usable with the aircraft through firmware. So.... at best the third parties have reverse engineered to the point they turn on and work but question is what compatability issue may be present that could cause a failure and where are you with warranty on the P3 then?

The fact the firmware upgrade couldnt run in this instance is a tell in my opinion.

What are you basing this information on!! How do you know they are exactly the same.You cant compare an after market battery to props,lights protectors its not even the same league!! You are giving mis-guided advice here. I have plenty of cash to buy oem's but dont agree with the price they are selling them at,and please tell me what the hell is the "chicken little syndrome" as i cant be arsed to google it!!

"Chicken Little" = a chicken running around trying to convince everyone that the sky is falling after being hit on the head by an apple falling out of a tree.

Very similar to the comments by some members on this forum regarding after market batteries.

Experience is my basis for what I say. I have after market batteries for Phantom 2 and 3 and no issues. I have after market batteries for many other products (Canon DSLR cameras, GoPro, Drift, etc) as well and again no issues. With no negative issues at my end, and plenty of time/flights/experience with after market batteries I must conclude that some people on this forum with no real experience of owning such a product have the "chicken little" syndrome.

Reactions: rulppa

The only difference in a DJI battery and an after market is the price.

Experience is my basis for what I say. .....

The first quote above is so outrageous, I didn't think it required a specific response. It's simply a ridiculous thing to say. It's wrong for a number of reasons, the first one being obvious.

1) I could fill a battery with soda pop and call it a P3 battery. I could throw it on eBay for $74.99. You'd happily buy it, apparently. I don't think many experienced P3 pilots would. But you would, and you would urge other fellow members to do so as well.

2) When you make a statement like this which contradicts other posts, it's proper to include some sort of link or qualification to your statement. The exception might be if you have some sort of reputation on the site. This is basic forum etiquette.

3) When you jump into the middle of a thread, it's a good idea to read the prior posts before you post so that you don't make a silly post yourself - contracting what's already been established. If you had done that, you'd have seen this:

Be advised: My VENOM battery does not do auto-discharge. It just sits there at 100% for weeks on end. Great battery, no problems - except this.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the site!

The first quote above is so outrageous, I didn't think it required a specific response. It's simply a ridiculous thing to say. It's wrong for a number of reasons, the first one being obvious.

1) I could fill a battery with soda pop and call it a P3 battery. I could throw it on eBay for $74.99. You'd happily buy it, apparently. I don't think many experienced P3 pilots would. But you would, and you would urge other fellow members to do so as well.

2) When you make a statement like this which contradicts other posts, it's proper to include some sort of link or qualification to your statement. The exception might be if you have some sort of reputation on the site. This is basic forum etiquette.

3) When you jump into the middle of a thread, it's a good idea to read the prior posts before you post so that you don't make a silly post yourself - contracting what's already been established. If you had done that, you'd have seen this:

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the site!
Speaking of outrageous statements "I could fill with soda pop and call it a P3 battery "
Do you have any evidence of a 3rd party P3 battery malfunctioning and if so can you please provide it for us. Otherwise you are just spreading misinformation and that is just a waste of everyone's time .

Reactions: CaptainDrone798
What we need is someone willing to sacrifice their 3rd party battery and do a full tear down. Any takers?!?!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the site!

You do realize that you called a forum member (me) a "noob" because you immediately discounted my comments... a bit unfair.

Forums are for discussion and opinions on a topic. Opinions are like noses... everyones got one. However, some people base opinions on hearsay or perception and not experience and attempt to project their opinions on others which is not cool.

My comments, once again, are based on my experience. Others who discount "all" aftermarket batteries due to one bad experience they have had or may have heard of, and preach this as gospel are that "all" aftermarket batteries are the devil are not really being of honest help to forum members.

Note: If you think I'm referring you specifically, this is not my intent. My comments are general in nature and apply to the topic of batteries or any aftermarket product that people discount for the sole reason that it is aftermarket and must therefore be crap and damaging to the Phantom.

I may jump in here, and say I am no expert on the DJI brand and I am very new to this hobby, but in my next breath I know a bit about using lipos in rc racing and about charging/discharging and storage. Unfortunately a lipo is a very big fire hazard if not treated correctly. It does not like to be stored full of energy or left empty. I use my racing lipos to extremes, and we have in fact been banned from warming them. Heat changes the chemical reaction inside and can take the battery over voltage causing a fire. Also charging in a cold place then taking the batteries outside and it heats up can take it over voltage as well and it can catch fire. Yes I know you all know this, and my point is.

My point is I have used various lipos and they are all charged in a controlled environment with a very high quality balance charger. From the very cheapest to the most expensive lipos there is very little difference in lifespan or performance. Most of the lipos come from the same factory it is just the manufacturers will match and select the most equal ones and grade them by price. Usually a higher priced better quality lipo has a lower resistance, letting the power out quicker, and we are drawing 700 amps at times from these packs. We can drain a 6000 mah pack in 6 minutes.

What I am trying to say in these cheaper packs are possibly equal in performance to the DJI and the circuit wear will have been copied, so it is possible you could get better cells in the non DJI battery packs.

Sorry to drag on about nothing, but as a modeller I am open minded
on non branded cells. Let's face it you can buy a 4800 4s lipo for £20-£30uk, the circuit board will cost pennies and the plastic casing a few pounds. One thing we do know is the Chinese for learn is copy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am a noob. Sometimes I make incorrect posts.

I also own three after-market batteries. I am not sorry I bought them - at least not yet.

"Chicken Little" = a chicken running around trying to convince everyone that the sky is falling after being hit on the head by an apple falling out of a tree.

Very similar to the comments by some members on this forum regarding after market batteries.

Experience is my basis for what I say. I have after market batteries for Phantom 2 and 3 and no issues. I have after market batteries for many other products (Canon DSLR cameras, GoPro, Drift, etc) as well and again no issues. With no negative issues at my end, and plenty of time/flights/experience with after market batteries I must conclude that some people on this forum with no real experience of owning such a product have the "chicken little" syndrome.
Nice phrase, I like it. I have owned after market batteries when I had a Fc40 that were ok I just don't know if I would risk them with my p3 each 2 their own I suppose.

I am a noob. Sometimes I make incorrect posts.

I also own three after-market batteries. I am not sorry I bought them - at least not yet.
Where did you get them from and what sort of price do you pay for them out of interest?

I may jump in here, and say I am no expert on the DJI brand and I am very new to this hobby, but in my next breath I know a bit about using lipos in rc racing and about charging/discharging and storage. Unfortunately a lipo is a very big fire hazard if not treated correctly. It does not like to be stored full of energy or left empty. I use my racing lipos to extremes, and we have in fact been banned from warming them. Heat changes the chemical reaction inside and can take the battery over voltage causing a fire. Also charging in a cold place then taking the batteries outside and it heats up can take it over voltage as well and it can catch fire. Yes I know you all know this, and my point is.

My point is I have used various lipos and they are all charged in a controlled environment with a very high quality balance charger. From the very cheapest to the most expensive lipos there is very little difference in lifespan or performance. Most of the lipos come from the same factory it is just the manufacturers will match and select the most equal ones and grade them by price. Usually a higher priced better quality lipo has a lower resistance, letting the power out quicker, and we are drawing 700 amps at times from these packs. We can drain a 6000 mah pack in 6 minutes.

What I am trying to say in these cheaper packs are possibly equal in performance to the DJI and the circuit wear will have been copied, so it is possible you could get better cells in the non DJI battery packs.

Sorry to drag on about nothing, but as a modeller I am open minded
on non branded cells. Let's face it you can buy a 4800 4s lipo for £20-£30uk, the circuit board will cost pennies and the plastic casing a few pounds. One thing we do know is the Chinese for learn is copy.

Thanks for your insight very informative and interesting and you have a great point about chinese product market and copy doesn't always mean a good copy too!!

I paid $109 for one and around $75 for the other two. Got them on amazon. They are batteries for the P2V.

As an RC racer for years now; I can tell you that aftermarket batteries are universally accepted on everything I have ever used. This is further illustrated by all the folks in this very thread that use them on the P2.

The issue is that there are various qualities of aftermarket batteries. Some companies are known for making batteries that exceed OEM specifications. And some companies are known to make crap. It doesn't take long for someone's reputation to catch up with them in this hobby.

P3 aftermarket batteries are only now coming to market; as witnessed by the folks on this thread that bought them without realizing they were aftermarket. Only time will tell if specific 3rd party batteries will be good or bad for our P3s. As seen in this thread, two different people had two different experiences when plugging them into the P3. So for this brand, the future doesn't look good.

That being said; someone who acquires one of these should plug it in and see if the upgrade to firmware will go well. Then they can take it out and fly it around their yard at a height of no more than 6 to 10 feet until the battery discharges. Only then will someone be able to offer a *qualified* opinion on the battery. Until someone actually is able to use the battery; then everything is really pointless in discussing if it works well or not.

Right now, these are unknown batteries. But the absolute fact is that a quality third party battery will appear soon. And it will most likely come from a brand that is known for making RC batteries. When these companies start making the batteries; we will be able to use the reputation of the company as a guide to our purchases.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
As an RC racer for years now; I can tell you that aftermarket batteries are universally accepted on everything I have ever used. This is further illustrated by all the folks in this very thread that use them on the P2.

The issue is that there are various qualities of aftermarket batteries. Some companies are known for making batteries that exceed OEM specifications. And some companies are known to make crap. It doesn't take long for someone's reputation to catch up with them in this hobby.

P3 aftermarket batteries are only now coming to market; as witnessed by the folks on this thread that bought them without realizing they were aftermarket. Only time will tell if specific 3rd party batteries will be good or bad for our P3s. As seen in this thread, two different people had two different experiences when plugging them into the P3. So for this brand, the future doesn't look good.

That being said; someone who acquires one of these should plug it in and see if the upgrade to firmware will go well. Then they can take it out and fly it around their yard at a height of no more than 6 to 10 feet until the battery discharges. Only then will someone be able to offer a *qualified* opinion on the battery. Until someone actually is able to use the battery; then everything is really pointless in discussing if it works well or not.

Right now, these are unknown batteries. But the absolute fact is that a quality third party battery will appear soon. And it will most likely come from a brand that is known for making RC batteries. When these companies start making the batteries; we will be able to use the reputation of the company as a guide to our purchases.

Amen !

I have 1.4 on my p3p and i am hesitant to update since its working well. I also have a p3s that i have only flown a few times when it came out that i might update and try one of these batteries.

edit: looks like there is no fw update for the p3s.

Try to update the FW for us Orion !! Before you send it back .. And screenshot the battery page on DJI go app

Last edited:
I have 1.4 on my p3p and i am hesitant to update since its working well. I also have a p3s that i have only flown a few times when it came out that i might update and try one of these batteries.

Feel free to pass by Toronto and fly it in my p3A !! Lol

It's fine to use . I wish there were more 3rd party companies making these batteries.
I agree. If the third party battery works the way it should. The after market battery we're talking about is unfortunately not one of these vendors. I would absolutely buy a third party battery if it's proven to work.

I ordered one from banggood today ... I'm going to test it against my 3 OEM ones & post my findings ! Worst case scenario it is junk and I don't use it.

The only thing I have against the non-DJI lipos is how long you will be able to use them for, I'm sure as soon as DJI work out what they have done (ie copied/cloned the smart battery chips/control board) DJI will update the aircraft firmware so they can't be used - I'm sure if you never upgrade firmware the 3rd party lipo would continue to work, but you need to decide if you're happy with that.

The DJI battery and P3 aircraft both have DJI firmware which communicates back and forth, so it is very simple for DJI to alter one or both so they detect these 3rd party lipos, and they have a significant financial incentive to do this, and a reasonable safety justification if anyone challenges this, so unless the 3rd parties are paying DJI to licence the batteries (which I very much doubt), they are going to be limited.

I am sure the quality of the 3rd party battery lipo cells could easily be as good or better as official DJI batteries, but then again if the aim is to produce a cheap non-OEM lipo, it would also be understandable if they cut corners - without back to back lab testing over a hundred or more cycles we will never know.

Anyone know if the P2 non-DJI batteries were licenced/authorised by DJI, or if they just copied the P2 battery chips/board and cloned a DJI battery serial number ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj