P3S - 64 GB SD Card Format Fail

Reaction score
I purchased a Sandisk 64 GB SD card and it fails to format in the camera. I also used
SD Formatter for Mac
and attempted to format, no luck. It says in the software on SD Formatter For Mac that it has formatted, but when I put it back in the P3S camera and format from the menu, the pretty lady with the sexy voice tells me "SD Card Formatting Failed - Replace card.
Any ideas on this will be helpful.
This is what the manual says it supports, so maybe it just won't take a 64 GB. Also, the card info does not state whether it is FAT32 / exFAT

Supported File Formats
  • Micro SD Card: FAT32/exFAT
  • Photo: JPEG, DNG
  • Video: MP4, MOV (MPEG-4 AVC)
Also, this link to Amazon Phantom 3 Standard says this card is supposed to work in my P3Standard
Amazon.com : DJI Phantom 3 Standard Quadcopter Drone with 2.7K HD Video Camera EVERYTHING YOU NEED Kit + DJI Extra Battery + Snap on Guards + 64GB SD Card w/Reader + Headlight and Light Strip + Koozam Carry System : Camera & Photo

Attachments

• 41tfOAJ0lfL._AC_UL115_.jpg
    41tfOAJ0lfL._AC_UL115_.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
If it fails to format in multiple devices, it is likely the card. That said, 64 GB cards are problematic since some (cheaper) devices can't read them. A Mac should.

Another problem with SanDisks is counterfeit cards. If you bought it from a reputable dealer, I would try to get it replaced.

What's model number is it? I bought a Sandisk Ultra 64GB (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA) and it also failed to format in the DJI Go app; it was reported as invalid card. So I had to return it to Amazon.

I'm currently using 64GB Sony (SR64UY2A/TQ) and Samsung Evo+ (MB-MC64DA/AM) in my P3S without any issues.

IMG_1156.jpg
Same here ..got one awhile back and sent it back and got another one and it did fine .
This is the card I have, same as the one in my Amazon link above that says it works with my P3Standard. Dam the bad luck.

This is the card I have, same as the one in my Amazon link above that says it works with my P3Standard. Dam the bad luck.
I said the wrong card...sorry . just looked at my history and was this one .
PNY U3 Turbo Performance 64GB High Speed MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I,

OK, I'm sending it back. What a bummer. Thanks for all the help guys.
I'll order this one then if it works in your P3S ........ . PNY U3 Turbo Performance 64GB High Speed MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I,

OK, I'm sending it back. What a bummer. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll try the Sony "64GB Sony (SR64UY2A/TQ) " this time.
Good luck. They had no problem taking mine back and did have one right back . They good about that with me so far .
2nd one worked fine .

What's the appeal with 64GB cards? More must be better?
I value my images and I'd never send out multiple flight's work and risk it flying again and again.
Cheaper 16GB cards make much more sense.

Is just what I want to use Meta. Was on sale and got one .Is there something wrong with using one I don't know about ?
Just asking :)

What's the appeal with 64GB cards? More must be better?
I value my images and I'd never send out multiple flight's work and risk it flying again and again.
Cheaper 16GB cards make much more sense.
I buy them because I have other devices that use them. My dash cam loves the large ones as it collects so much data. Just works out better for me.

Reactions: dirkclod
Meta, I'm open for suggestions also. if there's an inherent problem with the 64GB Cards, I would rather know now than to get another one that doesn't work.

The card I posted Bill was on sale for 19 dollars when I got mine so I did . All the others I have are the SanDisk and have always worked fine .

It seems if there's a bum item out there, I'll be the one to end up with it LOL I may consider 32GB if I find a good deal on them too.

It seems if there's a bum item out there, I'll be the one to end up with it LOL I may consider 32GB if I find a good deal on them too.
Think positive Bill :)

LOL, I do think positive, was just joking around. I just ordered this one,
PNY U3 Turbo Performance 64GB High Speed MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I, up to 90MB/sec Flash Card (P-SDUX64U390G-GE)
Quite a bit faster at 90MB/sec and only a couple dollars more.

Attachments

• 71eNmB0X68L._SL1500_.jpg
    71eNmB0X68L._SL1500_.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 462
LOL, I do think positive, was just joking around. I just ordered this one,
PNY U3 Turbo Performance 64GB High Speed MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I, up to 90MB/sec Flash Card (P-SDUX64U390G-GE)
Quite a bit faster at 90MB/sec and only a couple dollars more.
71eNmB0X68L._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
wylrfqeur
I'm not sure how many minutes the stock 8GB card holds at 2.7K video I shoot all video, then select screen shots from the video to save at the perfect moment. Here's one from my first flight. I love this camera. This is compressed quite a bit.

image.png

Reactions: ObiDon and dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj