P3pro rotor motor melted plastic

Reaction score
Phantom 3 pro is melting plastic after only 4 flights

Never crashed

Plastic got hot enough that rotor does not sit plum

Last two flight machine tipped over after sitting down

Tried turn off as usual (this second p3 pro. First one crashed last year)

Had to pull battery at end of last two flights

I think it was defective from plant

What are your thoughts?

hand catch wont tip over

It sounds to me like when your Phantom tipped over the props were obstructed and I am guessing they were making a very loud noise. You were probably getting some sort of warning that the motors were obstructed. That would very quickly overheat the motors and could also fairly quickly melt the plastic. With the motor out of alignment you would not want to fly it. It would not respond correctly if it is out of alignment. It doesn't sound like a factory defect to me. I would suggest that when you get it repaired you learn how to recover it by hand. I find it a much safer way to recover my P3.

Reactions: flpholt
The motors are canted at a slight angle on purpose for a good reason. It helps prevent the death rattle on fast descents... ;-)
Are you certain they are not out of being square from that?

RedHotPoker

The motors are canted at a slight angle on purpose for a good reason. It helps prevent the death rattle on fast descents... ;-)
Are you certain they are not out of being square from that?

RedHotPoker

I was gonna mention that, too. Then I figured he would have noticed that by now if he's on his second one. But, who knows..

Reactions: RedHotPoker
A picture or two would be a benefit of the doubt...
I need to see it to know, & a view from inside the shell would be even more telling...
Though, We all know how thin these shells can be, at the screw pocket locations too. Hehe

RedHotPoker

Everything the o p mentioned happened to me with the same results, except I hit a small branch that dropped my p3p and it landed tilting forward. It made the loud squealing sound, overheated, wouldn't respond to the CSC and I had to pull the battery to kill it. In my case the plastic melted enough that the rotor would light tap the top of the case when spinning.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not to sound unkind, but dude's had to pull the battery out to shut it down after putting it on it's side the last two flights.

This does not sound like a DJI problem.

As hot as the batteries get especially after a full run, they should always be pulled out immediately upon landing... The shell acts as an insulator. Pull the battery and let both sit for a minute or 2 depending on the shells temp and after it has cooled, put in the next battery and take off :)

Reactions: flpholt

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic