P3P winter storage

Reaction score
Winter may eventually come and put a halt to my flying..maybe...but if it does wondering what advise you might have with regards to the main batteries and the battery in the RC. It's possible I may not fly from some point in December until mid to late March.

Thanks

Andrew

The main batteries will eventually drain themselves to storage levels (if you have that function engaged and you don't "peek" by pressing the buttons ... that resets the drainage clock)

the other thing you can do is send your PSP to someone who lives in a no winter zone like a foster parent ;)

Just remove the spark plugs, fill the cylinders with oil and replace the plugs, put the batteries on a trickle charger, put in some fuel stabilizer, and you should be fine.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I am actually looking forward to flying with snow on the ground and in the trees.
Not as much contrast in winter but fun flying
Falls (3).JPG

Attachments

• falls cafe.jpg
    falls cafe.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 306
Why stop flying just for winter? I and many others fly in the cold. I filmed a frozen waterfall in sub zero temps in the past. Winter scenery is some of the best footage. :)

Winter may eventually come and put a halt to my flying..maybe...but if it does wondering what advise you might have with regards to the main batteries and the battery in the RC. It's possible I may not fly from some point in December until mid to late March.

Thanks

Andrew
OK, if you want a serious answer, you should store the batteries about 30 to 40% charge level. Don't store at 100%. Keep them above 35F, ideally around 40-45F if it's that cold where you live. The flight batteries will discharge themselves, it's part of their "smarts", but I'd run them down myself if it was me. You'll need to run the transmitter battery down manually, just leave it on til it gets down to about the 2 led level. Here's some good reading about Li-Pos. If you get a warm day above 35F, fly that baby so it can stretch it's blades!

Last edited:
When you put batteries in storage mode don't they still gradually drain down? My last flight was about three weeks ago and I landed at about 50% with two LEDs lit (I am flying a P2). Now it is one LED and a second flashing LED so the current is still going down.

OK, if you want a serious answer, you should store the batteries about 30 to 40% charge level. Don't store at 100%. Keep them above 35F, ideally around 40-45F if it's that cold where you live. The flight batteries will discharge themselves, it's part of their "smarts", but I'd run them down myself if it was me. You'll need to run the transmitter battery down manually, just leave it on til it gets down to about the 2 led level. Here's some good reading about Li-Pos. If you get a warm day above 35F, fly that baby so it can stretch it's blades!

thanks John

According to the manual, the battery will enter hibernation mode if depleted and stored for a long period of time. When in hibernation mode, if you try to power on the battery, the battery LED will glow solid red, and none of the battery level LEDs will light. Recharge to bring it out of hibernation.
Kinda sounds like the battery pretty much takes care of itself, like a bear in a cave...

As a side note, store it in something fireproof if possible. A small safe would work, I use a metal ammo can.
Do your research on lipos if your not familiar with them as they require specialized care compared to your common household alkaline battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl