P3P vs Advanced video quality

Reaction score
Ive asked around a lot on reddits and many people seem to be saying that the 4k video recorded on p3p is "sub par" the 2.7k video recorded on p3a.

IE its more banding and pixelated when filming gras in 4k with the p3p than the same settings on p3a on 2.7k?

Could it really be true that the p3A has exactly the same (or better) video quality than the p3p?

Im about to buy one of these iand i need to know.

My thinking is that 4k downsampled to 1080p will get better quality than the p3a at 2.7k downsampled to 1080p?

Any expert here that could give advice on what drone to buy to get the best picture quality?

Four things:

First, the 4K video on the P3P is coming through a small data pipe. It gets squashed pretty hard before it is recorded to the microSD. Pixel for pixel, the 2.7K video in the Advanced is treated a bit more gently.

Second, since the Pro does, in fact, have a bit more bandwidth, the best quality is theoretically captured by a Pro running at 2.7K. But the difference at 2.7K between the Pro and Advanced - since the camera is the same - is very hard to detect.

Third, it all depends on your final output format. Most everybody in the pro world, at the end of the day, is delivering the project to the client at 1080P. Both 2.7K and 4K offer the opportunity for scale-down, or pan-and-scan, or cropping to 1080P - 4K just offers more.

Finally, do you have a computer system that deftly handles 4K? It can choke a consumer-grade machine pretty quickly.

For me, especially with the current sale on P3As, the $450 price difference wasn't worth it. I bought an Advanced (got a great deal at jet.com for $719) and used part of the difference in price to accessorize it.

My thinking is that 4k downsampled to 1080p will get better quality than the p3a at 2.7k downsampled to 1080p?
Does anyone really do this?
I suspect it just something that gets discussed on forums by the kind of people anxious to have the theoretical "best" while real people just go on happily shooting in 1080, 2.7 or 4K and enjoy the great results.
There are way to many variables in subject and lighting for anyone to be able to say what is the "best" - but it doesn't matter because they're all good.

So still no answer id like to get. I get responses like "can your machine really do 4k editing" and "does people really downsample"?

Yes. i would not ask otherwize.

I thought p3A and p3p has the same bandwith at 2.7k

Only highter bandwith is p3p at 4k. Now wouldnt that beat 2.7k footage in image quality?

Yes i would like to buy the device that has best image quality. Thats the reason im asking.

(regarding downsampling PS i film some with "galaxynote4" at 4k and downsample to 1080p) gets better pq quality than 5dmk3 in some scenarios.

Try magic lantern on your 5D, will pull the pants down on the Galaxy.

Back on topic. If your into editing get the p3p 4K and be done with it. I use 4K exclusively regardless, it's a nice luxury to have.

With the birds.

* check youtube comparisons you cant get tha sharp detail in the 5d3 1080p as with the note4-4k *Back on topic

With the birds, do you guarante p3p (with 4k mode) will be better than the p3a? (image quality wize). Thats the big question and i must be 100% sure before buying it. otherwize ill buy the advance.

thx again.

With the birds.

* check youtube comparisons you cant get tha sharp detail in the 5d3 1080p as with the note4-4k *Back on topic

With the birds, do you guarante p3p (with 4k mode) will be better than the p3a? (image quality wize). Thats the big question and i must be 100% sure before buying it. otherwize ill buy the advance.

thx again.
I trust my own experience. My note4 looks like pox compared to the 5D. glass quality, dof control, bit rate and noise are all factors here also. Crunchy and over saturated don't look better for long. Try colour grading note4 footage. You have both. Trust your eyes.

I haven't shot with the p3a but the p3p is better than my note 4.

Agree. You can only colorgrade very little (if at all) but during perfect lightning and shooting a wide view, you will notice 5dmk3 softer .
(yea few scenarios the note4 is better but only a few). (i was only refering to optimal circumstances).

thx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers