P3P video quality.... 4K display vs Retina Display. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Has anyone experience a real difference in video quality when viewing your 4K footage on a true 4K display vs the Macbook Pro's lower resolution 'Retina' display?

In for details!

I have a new macbook pro and resolution is great. However the output supports 4k so my next monitor will be 4k.. If I can get the courage to buy such (I hate spending money)

Reactions: Mario_SB
i have a 5k imac and theres a lot of difference, even when watching youtube videos. the video is so sharp and bright and shiny.

Has anyone experience a real difference in video quality when viewing your 4K footage on a true 4K display vs the Macbook Pro's lower resolution 'Retina' display?

I took a copy of my P3 4K video with me when I went to the Apple store. I viewed it on the iMac 5K and yes you will experience a difference. Try it. I was upgrading from an old mac computer and that sold me. I can edit the 4K video on it and YouTube takes 4K uploads now too. Huge difference. I looked at my 1080P video from my Solo side by side with the 4K video from the P3. It is like night and day. Test your 4K file on any machine you are going to buy, make sure graphic card is up to the task.

i have a 5k imac and theres a lot of difference, even when watching youtube videos. the video is so sharp and bright and shiny.
I just recently bought an IMAC 4k..love it! My question is if use IMovie to edit videos then send to Utube. There uploaded 4k why isn't Utube compressing down to 1440p? I was going to try Facebook but I'm fearing they will be worse.

I just recently bought an IMAC 4k..love it! My question is if use IMovie to edit videos then send to Utube. There uploaded 4k why isn't Utube compressing down to 1440p? I was going to try Facebook but I'm fearing they will be worse.

this is my first mac ever and im also loving it :)

im using premiere pro to edit the video and adobe media encoder to export it, and this are my settings for youtube 4k and facebook hd (never upload anything higher than 1280 to facebook or it will look terrible, the dont support 4)

youtube settings 4k
Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 12.52.15.png

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(watch it in 4k)

i guess the compression in youtube depends on your files resolution, with those settings here are the options:
Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 12.58.08.png

facebook settings for HD
Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 12.52.28.png

this is my first mac ever and im also loving it :)

im using premiere pro to edit the video and adobe media encoder to export it, and this are my settings for youtube 4k and facebook hd (never upload anything higher than 1280 to facebook or it will look terrible, the dont support 4)

youtube settings 4k
View attachment 53589
(watch it in 4k)

i guess the compression in youtube depends on your files resolution, with those settings here are the options:
View attachment 53591

facebook settings for HD
View attachment 53590
Awesome great advice!! They you for taking the time to help me with this! I've had so many questions concerning coding and what Facebook will take along with utube..Generally I just upload to Utube then share link with Facebook or share utube link with friends.

Awesome great advice!! They you for taking the time to help me with this! I've had so many questions concerning coding and what Facebook will take along with utube..Generally I just upload to Utube then share link with Facebook or share utube link with friends.
Great video by the way!

I have a thread going about whether to get an iMac 4K Retina or a PC and a 4K monitor. I can get more PC for the price. Much more. An i7, current generation, a 28-inch display, and 72,000RPM hdd plus a 960 GPU for the price of the 21.5-inch Retina iMac.

I was in there the other day looking at them. I went to YouTube and just search for 4K Aerial and you get tons of cool videos. Youtube says when it's playing in 4K down in the corner. It looked badass. So I like that computer. But I can make a PC look the same way so I'm stuck at which way to go.

So I took my SD card with some 4K video to an Apple store and loaded it up on an iMac 5K and I'll be honest, I was not that impressed. I really could not tell the difference between the standard Macbook retina display (slightly above 2K) and the 5K display.

Oh man. I could tell a HUGE difference between the 4K and regular iMac. I would 100% spend the extra money.

How much for. 5K MacBook... 5k?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Oh man. I could tell a HUGE difference between the 4K and regular iMac. I would 100% spend the extra money.

I'm thinking about spending the extra money but it's gotta have at least 32GB of ram and an SSD drive. 4k editing is killing me and it would be nice to have the extra horsepower but we're talking over two grand. :/ Still deciding.... aka 1st world problems. lol

Really? Maybe I missed something.
I put on a YouTube video I knew was in 4K and played the same video on both computers. They were side-by-side. I was floored at how badass that 4K Retina is. That's the only reason I'm contemplating buying the iMac is because of that display.

@chaprlz I've watched tons of tutorials on drone vids with Premiere Pro CC and one guy said it makes a huge difference if instead of using VBR1 or 2, to use CBR at 50. Apparently the phantom camera shoots around 50 bit rate and by using the VBR you are somehow degrading the quality. Try it out!

@chaprlz I've watched tons of tutorials on drone vids with Premiere Pro CC and one guy said it makes a huge difference if instead of using VBR1 or 2, to use CBR at 50. Apparently the phantom camera shoots around 50 bit rate and by using the VBR you are somehow degrading the quality. Try it out!
Compression degrades video. Can't get around that unless you want to upload huge files. Trick is to find the happy medium between compression, quality and file size.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic