Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

P3P payload limitations

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by THG Aviation, Sep 16, 2015.

1. THG Aviation

I've been reading about people adding trackers, lights, skins, arm strengtheners and more to their Phantoms and I've been wondering if anyone has any information on the added weight limitations of the craft. Also curious about aerodynamic issues with add ons and whether these mods affect flight times with the added weight.

How much added weight can the P3 handle until performance and aerodynamics are affected?

Andrew

2. schemer

I've seen people add two extra smaller batteries to increase flight time. Skins and strong arms are negligible when it comes to weight/flight time. I'll bet my P3P could take off with at least a beer, or a half dozen eggs.)

3. reboot81

The P3 can lift another P3.

But adding another battery wont double its flight time.

Here’s some test with the aim to reduce the P3's top speed.

4. DBS

DBS

I've got a battery mod on mine that carries over 400 grams of extra batteries and the P3 flies like it doesn't even know the weight is there. 20150813_230357.jpg

5. Quadcopter102

On behalf of all who want to know.....link for the added battery support please.....

6. louforgiveno

How much more weight do you think it could carry and still fly effortlessly?

7. DBS

DBS

Handmade those ... no link, sorry

Not sure... there gets to be a point of diminishing return with batteries so "going bigger" doesn't help anymore... haven't tried more weight than that.

louforgiveno likes this.
  8. Fanti

Did you weigh the batteries ? Just received my 2200 Zippys, 204 grams each. Will it be flying well you think ?

9. THG Aviation

Not too interested in adding batteries but once you get them attached and are flying please post what the flight characteristics are like. 400 grams is nearly a pound so it would very, very interesting if the P3 could actually carry that weight without affecting the flight characteristics.

A

10. Lyle Hardin

Well, the important question is how much extra flight time do you get with the extra battery?

11. High Flyer_10

how much does it cost to upgrade your phantom-like this?

12. rstekeur

I tried for a while using 2 batteries on a Phantom 1.1 I had, the small amount of flight time didn't seem worth the decreased performance and added stress to the motors and esc's

13. Digdat0

DJI Phantom 3 Battery Wings

the 3d model is on thingverse as well .. I can hunt and find if interested.

14. Digdat0

Many of the long range flyers have found that <600g is ideal. Any more, and you risk too much weight/load on the ESC's. While it may work, you are eventually looking for disaster. For more info on dual batteries, check our thread here: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/dual-battery-mod.57463
    And the long range leaderboard can be found here too: Official P3 Range Leaderboard

There is ALOT of great info in there.

For those new to external batteries, feel free to read my FAQ here: Battery Modification for DJI Phantom 3 FAQ

(Note, I don't go into flight times, that varies depending on environment, but thats available in the threads)