P3P/P3A any disadvantage of iOS over Android

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
As the title states I'm looking to learn if there are any disadvantages of an iOS (Ipad Air2 etc) over an Android tablet. I am slowly moving my personal devices over to iOS after our company (my day job) mandated we only use Apple devices in our corporation last year. Since then I have really taken a deep liking for anything Apple so much that I now have an iPhone 5s, Ipad2, and 2- Apple TV's at home. So I'm leaning towards getting a new iPad to go with my soon to be purchased P3P/P3A (yet to determine which one for sure) and I don't want to limit my options by going Apple of Android. I've read that my current iPad2(not mini or Air) is not compatible with the P3P/P3A platforms so it's time to add a new tablet to the budget.

So aside from personal preferences (Apple Vs Android) is there any reason to get an Android tablet instead of the iOS tablet? If I do get an iOS tablet which one fits the "holder" on the P3A/P3P and gives best performance?

If iOS does have limitations what is the best alternative tablet in regards to the P3A/P3P platform?

I'm not dead-set against an Android device but with all things being equal I would prefer to go ahead and get an iOS so long as I'm not selling myself short for future features etc.

Thanks in advance,
Allen

A few things that I've noticed is that the iOS version has a simulator and it also had the Go app first.

I'm a total Android guy but I purchased an iPad for flying only. It works great.

The only thing I can think of is 3rd party development, if that is important to you, as more will likely occur on the android side due to its open architecture. In this particular case, going apple would have you miss the most responsive developer on the planet, @Kaehn, and his app Litchie.

If that isn't a big deal to you, then I can't think of any other real downsides.

Thank you BOTH! Now I just need to find and iOS/Android tablet so I can have ALL of the above LOL!

I am hearing some GREAT things about Litchie. I would really like that option. But at the same time I like the idea of flight Sim (although I've been flying RC for 4 decades and multirotors several years LOL).

Decisions decisions. . . . dang nabbit LOL

The other thing that you would miss is being able to record your screen. For example, say you like to make videos of everything on the DJI GO app for training or whatever other purpose. With Android that's easy to do with a 3rd party app. On iOS, that's impossible unless you jailbreak and I'm not even sure there's a jailbreak for the latest iOS version anymore. It's been a while since I've done that.

What I've done is bought an Android specifically for that capability (a Nexus 9) and using my iPhone 6 Plus the other time. This works well for me.

The other thing that you would miss is being able to record your screen. For example, say you like to make videos of everything on the DJI GO app for training or whatever other purpose. With Android that's easy to do with a 3rd party app. On iOS, that's impossible unless you jailbreak and I'm not even sure there's a jailbreak for the latest iOS version anymore. It's been a while since I've done that.

What I've done is bought an Android specifically for that capability (a Nexus 9) and using my iPhone 6 Plus the other time. This works well for me.
There are iOS apps that record the screen.

What android devices seem to run litchie & these 3rd party apps the best? I currently use iOS but would like to experiment with these android apps..

Taz, I was not aware of this app. I'm trying it now and will let you know if it does what I think I need. Thanks for the heads up!
Hope it helps. I use it regularly. A couple of hints:

1) You have to turn on Assistive Touch. That does put a little transparent button on the screen that if placed incorrectly can obscure important features. You can drag and drop it anywhere on the edge of the screen. Assistive touch is under accessibility in iOS general settings. I also bind it to the triple tap of the home button, so I can easily turn it on and off, easily.
2) make sure you set your orientation correctly (landscape with home button left/right) or it will record upside down.
3) in past versions for some reason the recording didn't play well when moved to another device. To easily fix this, just append another video (I just have a 1 second black screen vid sniper I use) to the beginning of the recorded video. Not sure if this is still an issue, but if so, that's the fix.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hope it helps. I use it regularly. A couple of hints:

1) You have to turn on Assistive Touch. That does put a little transparent button on the screen that if placed incorrectly can obscure important features. You can drag and drop it anywhere on the edge of the screen. Assistive touch is under accessibility in iOS general settings. I also bind it to the triple tap of the home button, so I can easily turn it on and off, easily.
2) make sure you set your orientation correctly (landscape with home button left/right) or it will record upside down.
3) in past versions for some reason the recording didn't play well when moved to another device. To easily fix this, just append another video (I just have a 1 second black screen vid sniper I use) to the beginning of the recorded video. Not sure if this is still an issue, but if so, that's the fix.

Well, so far so good. I'm going to try it on my next flight and see what the results look like. It also wants microphone access to record with no option to turn that off. Maybe it's a functionality of how they got it to work on iOS... who knows?

The other funny thing is that the web page warns you that the non-jailbroken version has less features and MORE bugs... I chuckled. But it looks like it's working so thanks for that!

FWIW, iOS is currently a more preferred mobile platform from a security standpoint. If there is a vulnerability, especially a 0day, all currently supported devices will mostly get a patch very quickly straight from Apple.

However, in the Android camp, Google has to patch it, then the various Android OEMs have to incorporate it into their own flavor of Android, and then it will then need to get tested, approved, etc. by each carrier before reaching the consumers. This is an extremely lengthy process causing many current device owners unpatched. The Stagefright bug, which allows attackers to gain control of your device remotely, was discovered over a month ago and most Android devices today are still vulnerable to it.

FWIW, iOS is currently a more preferred mobile platform from a security standpoint. If there is a vulnerability, especially a 0day, all currently supported devices will mostly get a patch very quickly straight from Apple.

However, in the Android camp, Google has to patch it, then the various Android OEMs have to incorporate it into their own flavor of Android, and then it will then need to get tested, approved, etc. by each carrier before reaching the consumers. This is an extremely lengthy process causing many current device owners unpatched. The Stagefright bug, which allows attackers to gain control of your device remotely, was discovered over a month ago and most Android devices today are still vulnerable to it.
This is why you buy a Nexus!

However due to the architecture of Android I fear the app will never perform on par with its iOS counterparts. I think it's asking too much of DJI.

This is why you buy a Nexus!

However due to the architecture of Android I fear the app will never perform on par with its iOS counterparts. I think it's asking too much of DJI.

Sorry but even your Nexus 5 or 6 is still not fully patched. Initially there were 6 issues with Stagefright, but later on a 7th one was discovered. The company that found the vulnerability (I forgot the name) was nice enough to write a fix for it and submitted to Google. A Google engineer probably got lazy and did not review the submitted code before merging into the Android codebase and releasing an update. But again most people don't buy a Nexus device because of its poor Marketing and distribution model (probably intentional as they don't want to risk ruining existing OEM relationships).

Sorry but even your Nexus 5 or 6 is still not fully patched. Initially there were 6 issues with Stagefright, but later on a 7th one was discovered. The company that found the vulnerability (I forgot the name) was nice enough to write a fix for it and submitted to Google. A Google engineer probably got lazy and did not review the submitted code before merging into the Android codebase and releasing an update. But again most people don't buy a Nexus device because of its poor Marketing and distribution model (probably intentional as they don't want to risk ruining existing OEM relationships).
Yeah I know about the stagefright bug not being totally patched. I was referring to buying a Nexus being a better option in terms of not having to go through OEM and carrier approval B.S. that takes forever.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj