P3P or Yuneec TYPHOON Q500+ ??

Here's some background on the technology Yuneec will be releasing this year. I'm just curious of the type of WiFi the Qualcomm solution is going to use. It says 802.11N, implying it's the same ole technology that everyone else is using (except DJI) which has TCP/IP handshaking. TCP/IP reduces distance and increases latency, it was never meant to be used as a video broadcast technology like Lightbridge. If Qualcomm doesn't include some kind of "lightbridge-like" capability to maximize distance, this technology won't be competitive to Lightbridge. And DJI's new Lightbridge 2 supports 1080P links (instead of the Lightbridge 1 at 720p). This Qualcomm brief mentions 720 downlinks, so it appears to already be noncompetitive, from a video-link resolution point of view. I would assume the next Phantom and Inspire models in 2016 will include LB2.
Still might have other new tech in it as per the article/video. DJI won't be due for an update till the end of the year I believe.

I just looked at the Yuneec website,
It has something called "Smart Safety"
Here what it says;

Smart Safety
Ensuring utmost safety, the FAA compliant No Fly Zone feature prevents flight near commercial airports.
The No Fly Zone feature also prevents flight above 400 feet from the ground.
The built-in GPS establishes a 26 ft (8 m) diameter Smart Circle around the pilot when taking off and landing and also creates a Geo Fence that keeps the aircraft from traveling farther than 300 ft (91 m) from the pilot's position.

Am I missing something??
Their site is vague,
This drone cannot be flown further than 300' away ??

Last edited:
I just looked at the Yuneec website,
It has something called "Smart Safety"
Here what it says;

Smart Safety
Ensuring utmost safety, the FAA compliant No Fly Zone feature prevents flight near commercial airports.
The No Fly Zone feature also prevents flight above 400 feet from the ground.
The built-in GPS establishes a 26 ft (8 m) diameter Smart Circle around the pilot when taking off and landing and also creates a Geo Fence that keeps the aircraft from traveling farther than 300 ft (91 m) from the pilot's position.

Am I missing something??
Their site is vague,
This drone cannot be flown further than 300' away ??
It's just a feature you can activate. You can fly farther than 300'.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Yes, the H is something serious to check out. I would wait until I understood that bird fully before making a purchase. Yuneec makes a solid performing system. Worthy of consideration, especially this one. I will be too.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
B. Every manufacturer will probably have Geofencing. In fact that is what they should have done instead of making every hobby flyer register. Now there will be both.
Legally with permission of airport manager and tower I have flown/filmed with a DJI UAV at an airport. I assure you there is a need to control the "geo-fence". At least for me.

As to the main topic. After DJI quit supporting developing apps for the 2.4 ghz datalink/Bluetooth I will never buy one of their products again.

I like the Typhoon Q500k for the price. One of the good things is its capability to have a second person control the camera from a tablet separate of the flight controller. FAA and most business are big on safety. Some jobs require 4 or more people. 1 to fly UAV, 1 camera operator, and as many safety spotters as required for the area.

My $. 02
Mike

I like the Typhoon Q500k for the price. One of the good things is its capability to have a second person control the camera from a tablet separate of the flight controller. FAA and most business are big on safety. Some jobs require 4 or more people. 1 to fly UAV, 1 camera operator, and as many safety spotters as required for the area.

My $. 02
Mike
I own a Q500+ and sorry I bought it after I bought and flew my P3P. What a world of difference. 35mph versus 15mph! The max distance of the Q500+ is about 1800' if you're lucky, I can go over a mile with my P3P stock, and 2+ miles with a $25 windsurfer slipped over my antennas. I have a Q500+ in my closet for sale if interested, hardly flown. I'll even throw in the FPVLR antenna and amplifier setup (my attempt to get it to fly a mile away).

Maybe you mean the Q500 4K. I wasn't aware it had camera control with a phone/ipad for 2nd person. How does yaw control work since it doesn't have a rotating camera? Do you have to use Smart Mode?

The only thing I like about the Q500+ that I truly miss is the super quiet flight, it's very quiet when flying around, you can hardly even hear it at 100' up, better for wedding shoots. The Typhoon H is a big improvement, 22mph (they say), retracks and 360 camera that could potentially be controlled by a second person. We'll see how practical it is after reports start coming in. However, the distance is still limiting, less than a half mile using standard WiFi technology (so old school compared to Lightbridge).

Last edited:
The only thing I like about the Q500+ that I truly miss is the super quiet flight, it's very quiet when flying around, you can hardly even hear it at 100' up,
I understand what you're saying but for me, hearing the phantom has actually been a help to me compared to the Q stealth. It helps me locate the phantom at times up there. I have a soft spot for my Q but it's been all phantom since it arrived.

Yuneec always been a marketing company, does not have any own core technology, the Q500 technologies are outsourced

Maybe you mean the Q500 4K. I wasn't aware it had camera control with a phone/ipad for 2nd person. How does yaw control work since it doesn't have a rotating camera? Do you have to use Smart Mode?

/QUOTE]

Yaw is still controlled by the pilot.

Besides the DJIs I have owned, NY Q500 I now have a Yuneec Typhoon H
Great bird.

Will fly on 5 if it looses a prop or motor.

As far as comparing speed when it comes to shooting pics and video I'm generally going pretty slow.
If I just want to play around I have smaller faster cheaper drones for that.
However Yuneec claims 43 mph in follow me mode for the H.

Did a unboxing, first flights, first impression review on my blog.

Yuneec Typhoon H un-boxing and first flights - Mike_Flys UAV/Drone blog

Mike
Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4