P3P or P3A for long distance flying ?

Reaction score
I want to buy another P3, dedicated to long range flying. I don't need 4k Video, I always film in 1080/60. So my idea is to get an Advanced instead of Pro, on the theory it might be a bit more energy efficient and therefore have more range. Anyone can advise on the video feed range on the Pro vs. Advanced ? From what I read the Pro has 10 mbit vs 2 Mbit on the Advanced. Could that affect range ? I intend to keep it stock, only do a battery mod. Also, do you suggest taking one with the older or newer motors ? Thanks a lot for your urgent input.

Get the advanced, both have exactly the same range. Only difference is 4k camera. Definitely get one with newer motor. It's a lot quieter. You can guarantee getting new motor by ordering direct from DJI.

Get the advanced. In my quest for longrange PB i can tell you its only a matter of when not if it crashes/autolands away from homepoint trying to push the envelope each time so you might as well crash the cheapest of the two!! Get a tracker!

Your DJI flyer right? That 7.7 mile flight was wicked it's much harder to fly att then to do what I do. 7.7 miles in less than 26 minutes that's awesome man. Either way you go the new motors are so much more efficient than the old ones you might get two extra minutes maybe 3.

Reactions: lotusteve
Your DJI flyer right? That 7.7 mile flight was wicked it's much harder to fly att then to do what I do. 7.7 miles in less than 26 minutes that's awesome man. Either way you go the new motors are so much more efficient than the old ones you might get two extra minutes maybe 3.
Thanks Buddy. Today I actually got 8 miles. Thing is, I want to keep the RC stock, as I travel a lot and have to put the P3 always in the checked in baggage.

I assume you have an antenna mod ?

Reactions: dynamic3dSolutions
I want to buy another P3, dedicated to long range flying. I don't need 4k Video, I always film in 1080/60. So my idea is to get an Advanced instead of Pro, on the theory it might be a bit more energy efficient and therefore have more range. Anyone can advise on the video feed range on the Pro vs. Advanced ? From what I read the Pro has 10 mbit vs 2 Mbit on the Advanced. Could that affect range ? I intend to keep it stock, only do a battery mod. Also, do you suggest taking one with the older or newer motors ? Thanks a lot for your urgent input.

If you don't need the 4k video I would go with the Phantom Advanced & buy direct thru DJI so you get the newest model motors. I have found that different battery's affect flight times more then anything else . Also if your looking to do long range flights and want to keep it stock without voiding the warranty I would pick up a Windsurfer for your controller (A windsurfer will allow you to go further then the battery can take you and come back safely... 3+miles) its a easy on easy off design & just a suggestion get a tracker. If you decide you want to go even further you could then add a battery mod & an antenna mod. There are some great items here on this website that can help including some different style windsurfers.
Dynamic 3D Solutions

Reactions: lotusteve
If you don't need the 4k video I would go with the Phantom Advanced & buy direct thru DJI so you get the newest model motors. I have found that different battery's affect flight times more then anything else . Also if your looking to do long range flights and want to keep it stock without voiding the warranty I would pick up a Windsurfer for your controller (A windsurfer will allow you to go further then the battery can take you and come back safely... 3+miles) its a easy on easy off design & just a suggestion get a tracker. If you decide you want to go even further you could then add a battery mod & an antenna mod. There are some great items here on this website that can help including some different style windsurfers.
Dynamic 3D Solutions
windsurfers are fantastic. i have only been about 1 mile with mine on. i use mine on all flights now because of the brilliant quality of FPV.

Reactions: dynamic3dSolutions
Anyone any feedback on RC range with latest P3s and FW ?

Fanti I did read a thread somewhere here or probably on the DJI forum where a member said he is returning his P3S for a P3 Advanced due to lack of distance he gets from his P3S no matter where he fly's.

Hope this helps.

+1 for the Windsurfers. Out of all the paraphernalia that I have bought for my Phantom, the windsurfers stand out as the best buy. I couldn't really envisage wanting to go any further than they allow in ideal conditions,I'd run of battery! Best 20 quid I've spent this year.

+1

I LOVE FOIL!!!
Foil fixed my GPS issues on the P2V+ by assuring more and faster sat counts.
Foil has now easily doubled (some have tripled) the range. Like most, I have turned back because conflict of emotions - happy to see something so cheap and effective but yet shitting my pants in fear as I have never gone that range.

Just last week I purchased a P3 pro. (It came with the newest motors and shell.) How do you guys change the distance limits. I see in the app were you can change them, but it wont allow me to enter distance higher or farther than 500m. I have a FPVLR V2 kit that I would like to install. But I guess no need if I cant change the distance limits.

Just last week I purchased a P3 pro. (It came with the newest motors and shell.) How do you guys change the distance limits. I see in the app were you can change them, but it wont allow me to enter distance higher or farther than 500m. I have a FPVLR V2 kit that I would like to install. But I guess no need if I cant change the distance limits.
You can't change height above 500m, but you can turn distance off, and go till your Tx stops communicating.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Same range. I flew along a friend´s P3A with my P3P and we got the same range, no matter what. BTW it´s pretty cool to film a flying P3 from another one :D

And DO GET a windsurfer. Cheap and effective. I tried one I made myself from cardboard and foil and was so impressed I ordered a pro one right after landing. The 3D ones being sold are even better.

Hard to tell... I´d say most are about the same, many makers use the same template or from a few variations. There´s no big secret IMHO, they all promote "perfect angles of the parabole" and/or "thicker foil" or something like that but even though there´s a science behind it, it´s no big deal. I got a 2-piece (one for each antenna) and a 1-piece (for both), and in all honesty I can´t tell a difference. Now I use mostly the 1-piece as it´s easier.

Reactions: M Scott
I run out of range real fast, I was standing on the low point and wanted to get footage above me I only flew about 600m and then lost signal and panicked and hit return home. I had no internet connection. I was surrounded by trees and dense bush but I had a little bit of space around me, I wanted to follow a valley but lost reception any hint for the newbie will be greatly appreciated

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj