P3P or Inspire 1?

Reaction score
I'm nearly read to go for buying a new P3P from my DJI dealer. Its going to cost me, but I'm thinking is it worth saving the extra money for an Inspire 1?

I'm not a video or professional photographer and so don't need it for earning a living. But with the issues of the cracking motor arms etc, even though the I1 is more money, can that extra money be justified?

Sure the I1 has 360 degree rotation, but I'm more thinking of the build quality of the I1 such as carbon, landing gear retracts...maybe a more stable flight.

Any thoughts?

Are you aware that DJI just released two new cameras for the Inspire 1? So there are new various price points that one can consider.
With many sImilarities, and some major differences between the two models. You have much to consider. The ease of portability with the Phantom 3 was certainly a major factor in my choice.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: nickyb
Are you aware that DJI just released two new cameras for the Inspire 1? So there are new various price points that one can consider.
With many sImilarities, and some major differences between the two models. You have much to consider. The ease of portability with the Phantom 3 was certainly a major factor in my choice.

RedHotPoker
Thanks. Yes, a good point on portability. The I1 seems to come with a huge flight case and not a backpack. Maybe a negative factor for me on the I1 (apart from cost)

Only you can decide which suits you better.
But the build quality of the P3 is very good.
The cracking you refer to only affects some P3s. The majority show no cracks.
The P3 will do more than 90% of what you can do with the Inspire 1 for 44% of the cost.
Or 34% for the Advanced which is almost the same as the Pro.
The Inspire is considerably bigger and not as easily portable.
In storage mode it takes up even more space than when flying.
The Inspire is an impressive machine - but at a cost.
The new cameras make it more impressive but at a much greater cost.
i-6WHQdfv-XL.jpg

Only you can decide which suits you better.
But the build quality of the P3 is very good.
The cracking you refer to only affects some P3s. The majority show no cracks.
The P3 will do more than 90% of what you can do with the Inspire 1 for 44% of the cost.
Or 34% for the Advanced which is almost the same as the Pro.
The Inspire is considerably bigger and not as easily portable.
The Inspire is an impressive machine - but at a cost.
The new cameras make it more impressive but at a much greater cost.
i-6WHQdfv-XL.jpg
Many thanks for a logical and to the point comparison between the two. Looks like I'm saving my money and going with the P3 after all.

For the price of an Inspire 1, two Phantom 3 models...money left over.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: bobmyers
If I had the extra cash I would go for the inspire but you would not be able to use the inspire as much as you would the P3.

The inspire is bigger and harder to transport compared to the P3, I'm still thinking if I should get the inspire but still no good reason to do so as of yet as my P3 is sufficient.

Reactions: lotusteve
If I had the extra cash I would go for the inspire but you would not be able to use the inspire as much as you would the P3.

The inspire is bigger and harder to transport compared to the P3, I'm still thinking if I should get the inspire but still no good reason to do so as of yet as my P3 is sufficient.
Agree. Inspire great bird but when you try to traveling it would make some difficulty

I chose the P3P over the Inspire because I want to be as discrete as possible when flying. There is still a lot of bad publicity in the industry, so, for now, I want to be as unnoticeable as possible.
Once UAV operations get more common, I will certainly consider an Inspire, but by than, there will proabably be capable birds that look like birds.

I'd buy an inspire but I'd be stressed out having that much flying $$$$ over head.
Plus the p3 is a winner in the distance race.

I use the following S900 with a G4, Inspire 1 and the Phantom 3 Pro, and I do use them for production shoots. I have found myself using the Inspire more and more on set, it is much easier to setup than the S900 and when the new cameras get here I will probably be selling the S900. But for just going out and getting some personal footage and general shooting I use the P3P but I have used the P3P for a couple of production shots now that Autopilot introduced the zipline feature in their app it is very useful since we don't have a second controller that can directly control the camera. I have used it on two different shoots for local commercials and the directors were very impressed with the resulting footage from the P3P. I do have to say on a large production set I don't think the P3P is as professional looking as the Inspire 1 or S900. So as stated by others it is what your needs dictate.

I have 2 P3P's but am very interested in selling one and investing in the newly capable i1. Currently, I take footage for personal use but aim to go commercial with a UAV licence in due course. I love the portability of the P3P but believe the new Inspire is the way to go if I take the next step. The bigger sensor and the prospect of higher quality RAW is very seductive plus, of course, a fully rotatable gimble. Both are great birds!

I use the following S900 with a G4, Inspire 1 and the Phantom 3 Pro, and I do use them for production shoots. I have found myself using the Inspire more and more on set, it is much easier to setup than the S900 and when the new cameras get here I will probably be selling the S900. But for just going out and getting some personal footage and general shooting I use the P3P but I have used the P3P for a couple of production shots now that Autopilot introduced the zipline feature in their app it is very useful since we don't have a second controller that can directly control the camera. I have used it on two different shoots for local commercials and the directors were very impressed with the resulting footage from the P3P. I do have to say on a large production set I don't think the P3P is as professional looking as the Inspire 1 or S900. So as stated by others it is what your needs dictate.
Thanks for the input here.

I have 2 P3P's but am very interested in selling one and investing in the newly capable i1. Currently, I take footage for personal use but aim to go commercial with a UAV licence in due course. I love the portability of the P3P but believe the new Inspire is the way to go if I take the next step. The bigger sensor and the prospect of higher quality RAW is very seductive plus, of course, a fully rotatable gimble. Both are great birds!
Yeah...is aw-inspiring. But the price is prohibitive for my budget. Good luck.

Thanks for the input here.
No Doubt You will have a great time with the P3P...just take the time to learn to fly without the aid of GPS...in ATTI mode or purchase one of the cheaper $40 quads you can bang around your house and learn to fly without any GPS aiding you because sooner or later something will go wrong and you will have to rely on your flying skills to recover with no training wheels to help. I have come into may situations where I loose GPS or something starts acting up and I switch to ATTI mode right away and fly manually...practice..practice...practice before you put the P3P in the air. Just my advice...just want you to enjoy the hobby ..

Reactions: nickyb and Skylark
No Doubt You will have a great time with the P3P...just take the time to learn to fly without the aid of GPS...in ATTI mode or purchase one of the cheaper $40 quads you can bang around your house and learn to fly without any GPS aiding you because sooner or later something will go wrong and you will have to rely on your flying skills to recover with no training wheels to help. I have come into may situations where I loose GPS or something starts acting up and I switch to ATTI mode right away and fly manually...practice..practice...practice before you put the P3P in the air. Just my advice...just want you to enjoy the hobby ..
Agreed. I am not as competent in ATTI as I would like to be. Today took P3P into an open space with quite a lot of wind and gusts. A bit unnerving at times but very good practice. Things always tend to go wrong in adverse conditions anyway.

Reactions: dataway
Wise words indeed.

Reactions: dataway

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl