Reaction score
I have a new P3P. On the 3rd flight I decided to try a manual landing. Not a wise decision I guess. I figured it would be ok since I have an FC-40 and figured the worst that would happen is it may tip over. Well it did indeed tip over. One of the rotors was against the ground and the motor started making a loud squeal. Before I could get to it started getting extremely hot. The motor got so hot it melted the plastic around the motor mount screws. Why did this happen? I have tipped the FC-40 many times with no overheating of the motors?

I always do manual landings, I feel safe with it.

It seems you didn't stop the motors before landing. Normal way to land it is get the P3 almost to ground and pull the left stick way down and hold it. You should ensure the surface is flat and hard. You can't land on long grass or on uneven surface as you should also protect Gimbal.

This is the reason many have gone for hand catching.

Reactions: meissner58
Because the motor doesn't shut down and tries to level the quad. Needed to hold the left stick down lock position and shut it down

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It seems you didn't stop the motors before landing. Normal way to land it is get the P3 almost to ground and pull the left stick way down and hold it. You should ensure the surface is flat and hard. You can't land on long grass or on uneven surface as you should also protect Gimbal.

So, you effectively 'drop' the quad onto the ground from a few inches up? Is this a common technique used, as I've never tried that. I would have thought that might risk the AC bouncing and tipping over. I alway land using motors and then once safely on the ground, kill the motors by pulling back on the left stick.

I still do not understand why the motor overheated. Is it normal for a P3 motor to overheat within seconds of sudden stoppage? Why does it not happen to the DJI FC-40?

I still do not understand why the motor overheated. Is it normal for a P3 motor to overheat within seconds of sudden stoppage? Why does it not happen to the DJI FC-40?

Motors get overheated if props are blocked and full current flows thru the motor. In such a case motor windings, ESC and the plastic shell can get damaged.

So, you effectively 'drop' the quad onto the ground from a few inches up? Is this a common technique used, as I've never tried that. I would have thought that might risk the AC bouncing and tipping over. I alway land using motors and then once safely on the ground, kill the motors by pulling back on the left stick.
yes effectively drop from an inch or so but pulling the throttle stick down and holding for 3 seconds. I use a landing pad.

One should practice it as moving stick down with an eagle will create yaw and P3 will tip over.

Or just tap the "Autoland" icon in the app. Personally, I always handcatch, unless I am deliberately ditching the aircraft in a safe place for later recovery because the battery won't make it all the way home!

yes effectively drop from an inch or so but pulling the throttle stick down and holding for 3 seconds. I use a landing pad.

One should practice it as moving stick down with an eagle will create yaw and P3 will tip over.
I tend to move the stick down with my hand as I find using any bird (let alone an eagle) is prone to causing flyaways. [emoji6]
I take it you meant 'angle'

Reactions: GadgetGuy
For a second I thought I was reading an old thread. I wish I had a nickel...

Op... sorry for your loss. This is kind of a common thing. Many pilots hand-catch which eliminates this risk. Hope this helps.

I tend to move the stick down with my hand as I find using any bird (let alone an eagle) is prone to causing flyaways. [emoji6]
I take it you meant 'angle'
Yes I mean Angle and not Eagle or Angel

Thanks. This forum is so interesting that if you make any typo, all start pulling your legs haha. That's the way to have great fun.

Some say auto correction is embarrassing but I think it's good for us. It sharpens our minds by carrying out mental permutation combination exercise to guess what one really wanted to type. :)

I know some languages have multiple meanings of commonly used words and I know those who use such languages are smart in general as their brain continuously think of the right word substitution.

Thanks for all the clarification. I was thinking I needed a new tool called an eagle.o_O

You are not actually dropping the quad. You get very close to landing, then ease the left stick down, and hold it down until the motors shut down. Holding the left stick down while still flying will just move the copter down.

You are not actually dropping the quad. You get very close to landing, then ease the left stick down, and hold it down until the motors shut down. Holding the left stick down while still flying will just move the copter down.
You are right, its not CSC to stop the motors in air. But lowering gradually ensures that you don't tip it over and make sad face.

Some say auto correction is embarrassing but I think it's good for us. It sharpens our minds by carrying out mental permutation combination exercise to guess what one really wanted to type. :)

I know some languages have multiple meanings of commonly used words and I know those who use such languages are smart in general as their brain continuously think of the right word substitution.
Sorry for giving you such a hard time. The auto correction booboo did make for an entertaining twist! Thanks for your good humor about it! :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers