P3P Focus Defect!

For me it's definitely optical. I know there's always some distortion around the edge of the lens. It's that giant bubble glass lens under the polarizer that was good on my first P3P (less than 3 months old) and visibly worse on my new P3P. I've tested them indoors. It's a optical defect. Very frustrating since my first P3P went off a bridge and I'm not interested in waiting 4 months for DJI to exchange this one…

For me it's definitely optical. I know there's always some distortion around the edge of the lens. It's that giant bubble glass lens under the polarizer that was good on my first P3P (less than 3 months old) and visibly worse on my new P3P. I've tested them indoors. It's a optical defect. Very frustrating since my first P3P went off a bridge and I'm not interested in waiting 4 months for DJI to exchange this one…
Yup that is my fear and I've decided to leave with the mild center blur and enjoy my Phantom as everything else works great, no issues after almost total of 4 hours flying!!

I have the exact same issue..most of my images in the center are blurry and edges super sharp, it can be seen both video and stills, but more notieceable in the images. I can get away with it in Video. I know of maybe 3 other people in the last week have the same issue.

I have exactly the same problem, sharp on the edges but a bit out of focus in the center.

What did you do to resolve it?

Guys I have received my p3p a week a go, and I am experiencing the exact same thing, very sharp edges, but very soft in the upper middle part of the image. I am adding a link to my videos on youtube, can you guys watch the video and let me know how bad is my video softness in comparison to yours?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks

Guys I have received my p3p a week a go, and I am experiencing the exact same thing, very sharp edges, but very soft in the upper middle part of the image. I am adding a link to my videos on youtube, can you guys watch the video and let me know how bad is my video softness in comparison to yours?

Thanks
Exactly like mine...I find 1080P at 60 FPS works much better but I purchased the P3P for the 4K...you can eliminate a lot of the softness in post but it still a ***** especially with photos. I have heard many people with similar issues some much worse than yours and mine, if its not a huge issue for you, my suggestions is to make it work for your needs. I have heard horrow stories people returning and trying to get a better one and end up with worse...I think its a defect of sorts ..

Exactly like mine...I find 1080P at 60 FPS works much better but I purchased the P3P for the 4K...you can eliminate a lot of the softness in post but it still a ***** especially with photos. I have heard many people with similar issues some much worse than yours and mine, if its not a huge issue for you, my suggestions is to make it work for your needs. I have heard horrow stories people returning and trying to get a better one and end up with worse...I think its a defect of sorts ..

Yeah I agree, it is definitely a manufacturing defect or a poor focus adjustment since it is a fixed focus. It is really disappointing to pay so much money and to get a product with a slight defect. I think I will keep it as is, the last thing I want is to send it back to china and as you said risking of getting a even worst camera. I will try 1080p @60, I will let you know if it worked out. Today I tried plying a bit with the setting, and I found out that setting the sharpness to +3, will dramatically reduce the softness, It is still there, but less noticeable. Where and when did you buy your drone? mine is only a week old

As soon as Best Buy receives their latest shipment of Phantoms, we will be on our 5th P3P in 20 or so days. We actually are in the process of canceling a shoot tomorrow due to not being able to use the images out of this camera. We have tested every setting and every scenario, I simply do not have time to post all of the examples we have generated. I see plenty of fantastic images being created by people using the P3P, however the last 4 we have tested have not been capable of creating these images. Portions of the left side of the sensor are tack sharp, however everything from the center to the right is completely out of focus. I highly doubt that this issue is only isolated to Idaho or Best Buy as 3 of the 4 birds have had unusable focus. Just a heads up!

Examples:

(May not be live yet)

Issues for each P3P:

1st P3P - Sharp edge to edge and flew well, however suffered from random corrupted encoding which caused artifacts on several different SD cards. Knowing what I know now, we should have kept this bird. (RETURNED)

2nd P3P - Horribly Soft, the worst on the right side. (RETURNED)

3rd P3P - Horribly Soft, the worst on the right side. (RETURNED)

4th P3P - Horribly Soft, the worst on the right side. Also, GPS does not seem to function correctly, loses sat lock often and puts off a nasty servo whine that the others did not. (SOON TO BE RETURNED)

What altitude were those photos taken at? I want to take a similar photo for comparison. I purchased my P3P at Bestbuy on 11/29/2015

As soon as Best Buy receives their latest shipment of Phantoms, we will be on our 5th P3P in 20 or so days. We actually are in the process of canceling a shoot tomorrow due to not being able to use the images out of this camera. We have tested every setting and every scenario, I simply do not have time to post all of the examples we have generated. I see plenty of fantastic images being created by people using the P3P, however the last 4 we have tested have not been capable of creating these images. Portions of the left side of the sensor are tack sharp, however everything from the center to the right is completely out of focus. I highly doubt that this issue is only isolated to Idaho or Best Buy as 3 of the 4 birds have had unusable focus. Just a heads up!

Examples:

(May not be live yet)

Issues for each P3P:

1st P3P - Sharp edge to edge and flew well, however suffered from random corrupted encoding which caused artifacts on several different SD cards. Knowing what I know now, we should have kept this bird. (RETURNED)

2nd P3P - Horribly Soft, the worst on the right side. (RETURNED)

3rd P3P - Horribly Soft, the worst on the right side. (RETURNED)

4th P3P - Horribly Soft, the worst on the right side. Also, GPS does not seem to function correctly, loses sat lock often and puts off a nasty servo whine that the others did not. (SOON TO BE RETURNED)

It is Idaho, mine does the same thing.... Just kidding. I have had issues with mine but then find out that there was only a tiny tiny little smudge on the lense or even on the inside of the lense. Best buy has this really cool and inexpensive lense cleaner in their camera section. it is about the size of a Sharpie and a silver gray in color. I think it was about $10

hope you get it all straightened out

88VMX12 -

Lol, it would be Idaho. Are you located in Boise?

No it ended up being truly defective units, our newest unit shoots great (for the P3P's pretty sub-par camera). How long have you been flying? Business or pleasure?

88VMX12 -

Lol, it would be Idaho. Are you located in Boise?

No it ended up being truly defective units, our newest unit shoots great (for the P3P's pretty sub-par camera). How long have you been flying? Business or pleasure?

Located in the magic valley, I fly for pleasure and for work, I am currently doing indoor and site shots of a new bakery being constructed. I have been flying my P3P for around 6 months now. For awhile I was into helis but it was a mutha.

Yup. I'm on my second P3P and the first one had perfect focus this one has blurring. It's ruined my ability to do any good looking camera work which is the point of this drone.

My first P3P was giving me soft images. Not just edge or center but whole image. I took back to dealer. They got a new P3p in from DJI. One motor would not work so they swapped out camera. Pretty happy with the images now.

Reactions: Karatekid1800
My first P3P was giving me soft images. Not just edge or center but whole image. I took back to dealer. They got a new P3p in from DJI. One motor would not work so they swapped out camera. Pretty happy with the images now.

It gave you a soft image also in videos? Do you have a video online of the soft camera to share here with us?

It gave you a soft image also in videos? Do you have a video online of the soft camera to share here with us?

It's easier to see in videos than photos (in my case), but for me it literally ruins the entire point of the drone. The problem is this is the replacement unit DJI sold me discounted due to the flyaway of my last drone. Now I have to spend another 3 months hassling them on the phone to get a replacement. I'm livid. I live in SF. I know they have an office here because there employees fly drones here all the time. I'm thinking about figuring it out and taking in in there.

Why do I have suffer without a drone for 6months while there tech support takes forever? ****.

Anyone get their focus defects fixed? I have exchanged my P3P 3 times all from different bestbuy locations and they have all to some degree had a focus issue. I chatted with DJI Today and they said it is because of the cold weather, I uploaded photos from within my house and they said "it needs to be at least 30 meters away" who the heck has a 30 meter long room in their house? I should be able to take a photo from 5 meters that is in focus while my quadcopter sits on a shelf but I cannot. Also I told DJI that I know to let the lense acclimate to the cold when bringing it outside from a warm area so the condensation can dissipate. I don't think they knew what I was talking about.

Must say it is frustrating to read about owners having changed products 3 or 4 times and then still experience poor image quality.......

More frustrating is when you get home from doing a job only to found the footage you took is unusable. This is I am using my older P2V+ more and more again, especially in critical situations.

Here are a possible solution if you lose complete trust in DJI's ability to deliver quality.

I bought a 2nd hand P3A without camera recently, the camera was broken when the pilot hit something in flight. Plan is to fix the broken L-arm of the camera and to then if required tune the fixed focus until its best.......

I had same problem with p3a. Returned it and got p3p. These are samples/tests.

p3a, out of focus:
p3p, good focus:

I suggest you to do brick test. Just shoot brick wall, or something like that, static, distanced more than 2m from device.
Send that pic to your dealer, and you should get replacement unit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31