P3P firmware update -- how?

Reaction score
Just got my P3P, which is also my first quad.

Looking at the Pilot's option, is says that firmware is latest, but how do I know?

Also, when firmware update is avail, will I need to do it from a PC with USB cable, or will the Pilot app download it to the controller and to the bird thru the lightbridge?

Last edited:
You download the firmware file to your computer, then place it on the microSD card. Insert the microSD card into the camera, and follow the directions that were included with the firmware. To update the controller firmware, insert the SD card with a card reader, into the USB plug on the controller, and follow the same directions that came with the firmware!

To check if firmware was up-to-date, or updated, or failed, put the card back in your computer and check the text file :)

Happy updating!

You download the firmware file to your computer, then place it on the microSD card. Insert the microSD card into the camera, and follow the directions that were included with the firmware. To update the controller firmware, insert the SD card with a card reader, into the USB plug on the controller, and follow the same directions that came with the firmware!

To check if firmware was up-to-date, or updated, or failed, put the card back in your computer and check the text file :)

Happy updating!
I like the way the p2 did updates. Just connect to computer and click update. The p3 is more complicated.

This is super stupid, but where do I find the root directory on the micro SD card from the camera?
When I open the card on my Mac laptop, I see only 1 folder and it is labeled "Media100."
It seems to only contain pictures I have taken, and a folder labeled "construction pics by P3A."
Do I just drop the bin file that I downloaded from DJI in the Media100 folder? Then reinsert the microSD card in the camera?

This is super stupid, but where do I find the root directory on the micro SD card from the camera?
When I open the card on my Mac laptop, I see only 1 folder and it is labeled "Media100."
It seems to only contain pictures I have taken, and a folder labeled "construction pics by P3A."
Do I just drop the bin file that I downloaded from DJI in the Media100 folder? Then reinsert the microSD card in the camera?
Root folder is the main folder.
Media100 is a subfolder of root.

Reactions: TulsaReiner
Looking at the Pilot's option, is says that firmware is latest, but how do I know?
With everything connected (leave the props off if you are messing around at home) go to the app and click the next to Home in the top left.
Click on the 3 dots icon down the bottom left.
i-7RnKJ9M-M.png

And down at the bottom of the page, click on About.
That will bring up this screen which shows firmware versions.
i-bW2PvLd-M.png

Reactions: dnszero
You're welcome.
And thanks Meta4 for posting screencaptures. I got my answer from earlier, video post, but this direct answer will be easier to reference for others.

What if the firmware shows N/A? . I've had the copter for a week and haven't had FPV or able to update the firmware on the copter. The controller updated without a problem. The copter won't initialize the update, the text file is empty, I've tried 3 different SD cards, formatted them more times than I can count. downloaded, unpacked and copied the zip file at least a dozen times. uninstalled and installed the DJI go app 4-5 times. Might be time to return it for a refund.

What if the firmware shows N/A? . I've had the copter for a week and haven't had FPV or able to update the firmware on the copter. The controller updated without a problem. The copter won't initialize the update, the text file is empty, I've tried 3 different SD cards, formatted them more times than I can count. downloaded, unpacked and copied the zip file at least a dozen times. uninstalled and installed the DJI go app 4-5 times. Might be time to return it for a refund.
I had to update every version of the firmware sequentially in order for my P3A to accept it.
So look at the version you currently have, then look at the sequence of new versions on the DJI website, and be sure you aren't trying to skip a version.

I had to update every version of the firmware sequentially in order for my P3A to accept it.
So look at the version you currently have, then look at the sequence of new versions on the DJI website, and be sure you aren't trying to skip a version.
Thanks for the reply TulsaReiner.
Part of the problem is I can't tell what version I have on the aircraft. DJI go shows N/A on my Galaxy s4 and Unknown on the IPhone 6S. I've tried every version of firmware on the website and none will imitate the update.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl