P3P fell from the sky in a undesirable manner, worth fixing?

Reaction score
So after 72 flights and 5hr 45hr time I finally crashed my phantom. It was totally my fault as it drifted into a tree top while I was working on the DJI App. It fell from about 80'. The body is thrashed but everything still seems to work.

I can fix it with a new body, that will cost $60 and a few hours of my time. So before I invest a couple hundred in time and money I would like an opinion on the flight time and age on the drone to make sure its even worth fixing? How much time gets put on these before a motor failure or similar leads to them falling from the sky? I wouldn't want to fix it if I shouldn't expect more than 10 hours out of it?

These motors generally don't fail. I would fix it. It's kinda fun and it'll be a learning experience.

Tangent: I like your thread title. Reminds me of Space X's official description of their last crash: It had a "rapid unscheduled disassembly" :p

These motors generally don't fail.
I am not too sure about that.

I only had one minor crash. Basically it touched the wall of a building, fell from about 5ft height. I cut the power to the motors with CSC move, picked it up and dusted it off, it flew again well for about dozen more time. Then one day it showed ESC error and wouldn't arm the motors anymore. I had to send it back to DJI for repair for a fee of $200+ as they had to replace main control board as well as a motor and the body shell.

The fact Bacho dropped his from 80ft height with the body shell thrashed, I suspect there are more serious damage inside the body as well. I would send it off to DJI for proper damage assessment and repair IMHO.

How much time gets put on these before a motor failure or similar leads to them falling from the sky? I wouldn't want to fix it if I shouldn't expect more than 10 hours out of it?
It's rare to see Phantoms crashing due to a motor that hit its life expectancy. You'll likely sell your Phantom before the motors die.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl