P3P Crashed - Help

Reaction score
Have a couple of questions? I checked wind speed this morning and was 12 mph and went up to shoot some pipeline. Got up at 75 feet and was good. Got ready to start filming and caught an updraft and it took off crazy. I fought it for a few minutes at 425 ft and could see it. Then it started going south so I hit return home button. I could tell by the distance meter that it was attempting to come back but was going in long loops. It got to the point of low battery and stated it was landing. The last numbers were 170 ft and about 2200 ft away in a wooded area. Searched for several hours with no luck. Shows the flight path to the spot it drops. My question is would it be able to go further than the flight path? If so how far? Thanks

at that point you should have switched it to atti mode so it could fight the wind better and flew it back. Get the flight log off your phone/tablet and post it here, we can have a look and see what we can do to help.

at that point you should have switched it to atti mode so it could fight the wind better and flew it back. Get the flight log off your phone/tablet and post it here, we can have a look and see what we can do to help.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 395
. Thanks, I didn't think about that. I did raise the elevation due to a couple of high towers. Still tying to upload the file itself. It went into go home mode at 6:29 into the flight. Then looped and got a critical battery warning, then said landing.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 383
  • image.png
    image.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 386
Caught an updraft that lifted it from 75 ft to 425? Where do you live, Kansas? I've never heard of such an updraft except in the movies. I don't think they have them like that around here.

I would bet your aircraft is somewhere within a few hundred feet of where it shows it went down. It might have hooked onto a branch and be stuck in a tree. Or it could have come down into a Y split.

You might consider a tracking device for next time.

Sorry for your loss - I hope you find it. You still have a good chance!

Thanks Marknmd. Not KS, but KY. I flew it about 15 ft next to a bldg and believe that may have caused it. I hit the RTH button and it tried for at least 6 minutes to come back. The upper currents kept pushing it away. Tried different elevations but no luck. The flight path shows it just inside the wood line but not sure how far a 1/4 " of flight path is. Going back out this morning to look again.

Good news - after 5 days and lots of ticks ( mild winter ) I got a hold of another bird and flew the area taking pic's. Got back and checked on the computer and there it was in the top of a large oak. I remembered going past some tree trimmers on the way so I stopped and offer $50 to anyone that would climb and retrieve my bird. An hour or two later I had it back. I waited a day to dry everything out before powering up. The battery was DOA, wouldn't take a charge. Replaced all props and no other damage visible. Put in another battery any it lit up and heard the best sound ever. Flew it today and all is good. The last flight path was in the general direction but off several hundred yds. Lesson learned !!! Thanks for the help.

Did it bust the battery case open?

It's probably so dead and drained that it will not excite the charger circuitry. This is a safety that is built into many chargers that prevents the + and - wires from shorting out if you short them together.
Do this:
Try jumping across from a good battery to your dead battery, Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative, being very careful to not short - to + ... Leave them connected for 10 or 15 minutes. This should transfer enough power to the dead battery that it will excite the charger circuitry to a charge state, and therefore charge the battery.
I am pretty sure they have the same built in protection that many chargers have , and that is they need at least a minute bit of power to excite the charging circuit on the charger. I have had to do this jump start thing with a smart charger I have for cars. I'm pretty sure this should get her going again.
I'm happy for you getting your bird back.

Attachments

• skitched-20160314-200239.jpg
    skitched-20160314-200239.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Why would the battery just take a dump
Water/moisture damage, short circuit, overheat, complete discharge... who knows, there are so many ways to break a battery... especially a 4S, intelligent, relatively fragile & volatile LiPo.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj