P3P Crash

Notice that the disruption happened when it reached the shadow of the dormer window. Before that there would have been strong contrast between sunlight and shadow on the roof surface.

I just don't buy the bird strike scenario. My son didn't see a bird, and there would have been feathers flying around. Zero feathers found on site.
You assume the bird would have hit the props.
As mentioned before, we would like to hear the motor sound as a bird impact sounds different from a motor cutoff.

Here's one where you barely see the bird. It took 15-20 ft before the Phantom could right itself again.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have you performed a new IMU calibration? A hard landing can shake up the IMU enough that the Phantom won't restart. (According to the NAZA specs, the Phantom won't start up if the slope is greater than 70°).

Reactions: Apparition
Here's one where you barely see the bird. It took 15-20 ft before the Phantom could right itself again.
Looks very similar to me.

RF interference (Wi-Fi, ham radio, etc.) did not and cannot cause this. I fly Lightbride units all over huge cities. Bird strike would have been much more obvious. The dipping corner (front left) shows a perfectly spinning prop. There are a couple of possibilities:

1. Something with a potentially strong magnetic field in that area of the house (e.g. large subwoofer, some sort of electromagnet?).
  2. Defective MEMS sensor (IMU) bound to manifest early in product life.
  3. Physical defect (e.g. cold solder joint, ESC braking issue).
Does P3 not record sound? I want to hear the motors and see the full video.

Your bird did not strike anything fixed that I can see. My major crash was caused by something similar, I was too close to the structure, I did not hit it, but my bird acted the exact same way, flipped over and fell 60' to the ground. I had visual on my at the time, I'm thinking some sort of interference electronically from the structure itself or the close proximity caused a form of VRS to only one part of the bird.

Roof crash - gimbal/camera is off. I wasn't in line of sight when it happened - just offsite at the side of the house. What I can't understand is it looks like I have clearance from the first roof section.

Anyone want to chime in as to the prop hitting the roof OR the P3 malfunctioning - I really don't know. Again, it seems to me that I had enough clearance.

This is reminiscent of the "Flip of Death"

This had crossed my mind but didn't want to mention it. Seems not many are concerned but i am a little worried a must admit.

This had crossed my mind but didn't want to mention it. Seems not many are concerned but i am a little worried a must admit.

Concerned with??? Flip of death?

Just the fact that it seems 3 could have gone over like this and there are not many out there at the moment, plenty with them but plenty still waiting for either a new tablet or the IOS App.

I'm the first to admit my ignorance, but really, don't you folks use a regular old controller?
What's with the Android (which I don't recall being mentioned yet in this thread), the tablet and the APPs? Do you, or do you not fly with a controller, something like this?

remote-silver-3.JPG

Or like this?

remote-silver-2.JPG

Could you be shooting yourselves down, pun intended, by using "Beta" apps?

...kids pick up on everything, and most of the time they pick up on things we as adults don't because they are so much more alert...

Yes, they definitely do, but they are also very easily distracted, I'd personally NOT trust a very young person to be a spotter. That's not to cast any aspersions on the OP's son. I'm sure he was concentrating, but just a counter to the comment above about how much more they see. It's how much more they see that makes them so easily ... oh look, a butterfly!

I was simply stating if it was a bird strike his son would have probably seen it. wasn't suggesting its a good idea to use a young person as a spotter.

I was simply stating if it was a bird strike his son would have probably seen it. wasn't suggesting its a good idea to use a young person as a spotter.
Neither of them could see the craft, nobody knows what they didn't see.

Neither of them could see the craft, nobody knows what they didn't see.

He said his son watched it happen i thought. Either way it seems nobody is worried about it being a dji problem at this point so maybe a might slice that box i have open after all. Was going to hold on for another week or so or at least until the IOS app release just in case i decide to return it.

He said his son watched it happen i thought. Either way it seems nobody is worried about it being a dji problem at this point so maybe a might slice that box i have open after all. Was going to hold on for another week or so or at least until the IOS app release just in case i decide to return it.

Open it! Just don't fly it low over angled roofs!

Reactions: bbfpv

Don't use elderly folks either, their eyesight is not that good - I know that's a generalisation and I apologies but I speak from first hand experience when my old man mistook my Phantom 1 for a seagull when I sent it out across the gorge.

All I can say is without FPV home lock is your friend.

I am wondering if DJI has ever solved the MYSTERY with the crash.
I use my bird to do a lot of building inspection therefore this crash is of great interest to me.

I tried to repeat the crash with my new P3 as "CONTROLLED" as possible by doing the following.
-put on blade guard
-fly extremely low ( 1 to 3 ft off the ground )
-flying within from 2 to 15 ft away at all times.
-made artificial roof, cliffs, you name it.

Yesterday - away from the house 25 feet.
-tried for 2 flights and the bird behaved beautifully.
This flights are by flying in circles (from 2 to 10 ft radius ) for 10 to 15 minutes each flight around these obstacles at VERY low level. None of the flights are beyond 6 ft and about 1 to 3 ft off these obstacles.

Today, feeling a little more ambitious, tried it again but this time, fly right against the house with a 1 foot high by 2 ft wide "CLIFF". It works also and stay there perfectly and then,

All of a sudden, it just go right against the wall at pretty high speed, lost control of all directional control. Since it is only about 18 inches off the ground, I just let it go at it until the battery ran low and return home is activated. This is when it flipped. Nothing damage since I have guard on.
Only thing is there is a little chip on the propeller.

After the incident, I analyze the data. I think I know why. Obviously, this type of flying is something that you will never do, but it can explain what happen in this crash.
- when near the house, the gps dropped from 14 to 3

I think that is when the VPS took over, and when the battery is low, try to do a RTH business and VOILA.

I WILL TRY THE SAME FLIGHT AGAIN TOMORROW BUT THIS TIME WITH A MOVING BLANKET AROUND THE SITE AND WEAR GLOVES SO I CAN CATCH THE BIRD.

WILL TRY WITH AND WITHOUT VPS BUT MAYBE TOUGH TO CONTROL AT 1 TO 2 FEET OFF THE OBSTACLES.

I MUST EMPHASIZE THAT THIS IS NOT A NORMAL FLYING CONDITION, AND I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND ANYONE TRYING THIS UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO LOSE THE BIRD.

COULD THIS HAS CAUSED THE PROBLEM WITH THIS CRASH.

ANY COMMENTS.

Very interesting especially GPS going down and switching to P-Opti.

In real life I would never fly so close to a house as it is frowned upon here in the UK (150 feet minimum distance from property)

I am wondering if DJI has ever solved the MYSTERY with the crash.
I use my bird to do a lot of building inspection therefore this crash is of great interest to me.

I tried to repeat the crash with my new P3 as "CONTROLLED" as possible by doing the following.
-put on blade guard
-fly extremely low ( 1 to 3 ft off the ground )
-flying within from 2 to 15 ft away at all times.
-made artificial roof, cliffs, you name it.

Yesterday - away from the house 25 feet.
-tried for 2 flights and the bird behaved beautifully.
This flights are by flying in circles (from 2 to 10 ft radius ) for 10 to 15 minutes each flight around these obstacles at VERY low level. None of the flights are beyond 6 ft and about 1 to 3 ft off these obstacles.

Today, feeling a little more ambitious, tried it again but this time, fly right against the house with a 1 foot high by 2 ft wide "CLIFF". It works also and stay there perfectly and then,

All of a sudden, it just go right against the wall at pretty high speed, lost control of all directional control. Since it is only about 18 inches off the ground, I just let it go at it until the battery ran low and return home is activated. This is when it flipped. Nothing damage since I have guard on.
Only thing is there is a little chip on the propeller.

After the incident, I analyze the data. I think I know why. Obviously, this type of flying is something that you will never do, but it can explain what happen in this crash.
- when near the house, the gps dropped from 14 to 3

I think that is when the VPS took over, and when the battery is low, try to do a RTH business and VOILA.

I WILL TRY THE SAME FLIGHT AGAIN TOMORROW BUT THIS TIME WITH A MOVING BLANKET AROUND THE SITE AND WEAR GLOVES SO I CAN CATCH THE BIRD.

WILL TRY WITH AND WITHOUT VPS BUT MAYBE TOUGH TO CONTROL AT 1 TO 2 FEET OFF THE OBSTACLES.

I MUST EMPHASIZE THAT THIS IS NOT A NORMAL FLYING CONDITION, AND I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND ANYONE TRYING THIS UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO LOSE THE BIRD.

COULD THIS HAS CAUSED THE PROBLEM WITH THIS CRASH.

ANY COMMENTS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers