P3P Crash Damage Assessment

Reaction score
Hello Forum!

So I had an indoor crash that was pure user error and I wanted to assess the damage to my P3P. The bird fell from about 12 feet upside down onto a wood floor. I have two sort of bulges on the body, and I realized yesterday that I think two of the plastic gimbal stabilizer pins are missing (see photos for what I'm talking about).

A couple questions that hopefully people more experienced with the machine can answer:
1. Are there normally 4 of these plastic stabilizer pins for the gimbal? If so, where would I be able to buy some usable replacements? And can I fly in the interim period with just two pins - what would be the possible downside to doing this?
2. What are the small white plastic pieces seen in the bulges? I tried to poke them back in to get rid of the bulge but they wouldn't move - should I keep trying harder to push them back in? Should I take the bird apart and see what I can do then? Or should I just leave them?
3. My props were spinning full speed on the wood floor for about 5-10 seconds and as a result they melted the plastic nub on the top about 20? of the way through. Are these props still safe to fly with? I can post pictures of those if it's useful.

Thanks for any input!
WP_20150513_19_31_48_Pro.jpg
WP_20150513_19_31_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20150513_19_32_09_Pro.jpg
WP_20150513_19_32_54_Pro.jpg
WP_20150513_19_31_48_Pro.jpg WP_20150513_19_31_59_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20150513_19_33_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150513_19_33_26_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 363
  • WP_20150513_19_33_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150513_19_33_32_Pro.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 441
  • WP_20150513_19_33_40_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150513_19_33_40_Pro.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 395
1) Thats normal.
2) They're the tabs that keep the shell locked together. I'd just leave them unless they really bother you since you'd probably have to pop the whole shell in order to straighten them out.
3) Probably safe to fly, but you've got a spare set so now may be the time to use them.

1) Thats normal.
2) They're the tabs that keep the shell locked together. I'd just leave them unless they really bother you since you'd probably have to pop the whole shell in order to straighten them out.
3) Probably safe to fly, but you've got a spare set so now may be the time to use them.
Thanks! Looking at the pictures up close of the P3 I can see that is indeed normal to have just two of four.

I'll probably pop my spare props on now and just keep the current ones as the backup.

Was curious about your crash photos of the P3 body. You need to understand that the body is engineered to have both halves fit tightly together for structural stiffness. Separated, the arms will cant/twist fairly easily.

In your second photo, showing one arm/motor, you have a recessed frame bolt hole that has either sheared or has torn partially. You risk under load, if what I'm seeing is correct, a potential to allow that arm to twist. If this is the case, you could experience an unstable flight.

Good luck!

How did you manage this? I'm just curious can you give details how it happened, could possibly help other users in avoiding the mistake...

I have a follow up question - I flew for the first time after the crash today and noticed that my camera horizon didn't seem to be level. Is there anything I can do to fix it? I'd say it's about 5-10 degrees off....

How did you manage this? I'm just curious can you give details how it happened, could possibly help other users in avoiding the mistake...
It happened flying somewhat inebriated indoors without prop guards and I hit a wall while trying to spin and pilot. Very, very dumb move - just glad no one got hurt.

Reactions: Buzz313th
Anytime you have a crash like this please check IMU values and perform an IMU cal.

Set the bird on a level surface and calibrate the gimbal.

I'll try to do both of those this weekend and see if it helps. It will be my first time doing each but I'm thinking the how-to's are all out there. Thanks for the input.

So I calibrated the IMU in the app on a level surface and my horizon is still off as it was before. Am I missing something?

Doesn't the P3 also have a separate gimbal calibration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would anyone be able to elaborate on specifically how to calibrate the gimbal on a P3 using the app? I've dug through all the menus and can only find calibrations for the IMU (have done this twice and the horizon is still obviously off) and the compass. I watched this video on the Inspire 1 app but the menu where the gimbal calibration should be located has far less options on my app and does not include a gimbal calibration option (Android, version 1.0.10).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic