P3P Controller Joystick Problem

Reaction score
Not sure what has happened but when I went to fly yesterday, when turning on the controller, I got multiple beeps and a blinking red light. Shut it down right away to check the problem and found the right joystick was no longer attached to the underside of the controller cover. Left was fine and tight, right could be moved slightly up and down in the controller. I held the joystick up against the controller and was able to clear the error code and holding the stick up, I was able to fly OK - considering we had driven 250 miles to fly and photo and video a canyon - if I could fly safely, I was flying.

So I was able to fly a few places - probably an hour or so in a couple places - so there isn't any damage or electrical issue. The problem is the physical dis-connect between the joystick and the controller cover from the inside.

Anyone have any knowledge of how to resolve this? If there is some attachment inside the controller that could be re-attached to tighten this up - can anyone tell me how to open the case to check/fix it? My initial instinct says to just grab some super-glue, glue it around the edges carefully and move on - but if someone can offer better guidance, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

can anyone tell me how to open the case to check/fix it? My initial instinct says to just grab some super-glue, glue it around the edges carefully and move on - but if someone can offer better guidance, it would be appreciated.

As soon as I saw the title of your thread, my first assumption was that your joystick had broken off internally. There have been multiple threads about the RC buttons (especially RTH), screw bosses and joysticks breaking off, so it was the first thing that came to mind.

To answer your question, if I were you I would just look at one of the videos or threads with pictures and open the RC. My guess is that you'll find the screw bosses broken for that joystick.

Last edited:
I would suggest to go for replacement as RC is a vital control equipment of the system.

The problem is the physical dis-connect between the joystick and the controller cover from the inside.

It seems a fairly simple fix ........... I realize this is not a P3 controller - however I would imagine the control stick setup is very similar........
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks. If that's what the joystick housing and attachment points look like inside the P3P controller, it would appear in my case, either the four screws came loose - nothing rattles when I shake it so maybe not - or the mount itself has broken free somehow.

<sigh> Might have to crack it open and see what I can figure out.

That's a great help - thank you. Doesn't look too difficult if I take my time. Hopefully, I can get it tightened up or at least secured from the inside instead of super-glue on the case itself.

I'm going to guess the plastic threads holding the screws that hold the joy stick have cracked. I would send it back for replacement.

Yeah, I'm weighing my options here. DJI isn't exactly known for rapid turnarounds and we're entering the time of year for us here, to flew.

Option number two. My concern was the time-frame to send it to DJI and return. We're just getting into the best flying weather here.

I called and spoke with Brian. Already have the RMA and instructions and the pre-paid shipping label should be here within 24 hours. Brian says it should take no more than two weeks to get it back.

I prefer not to open the case and void my warranty since it appears I really won't be down that long.

I'll let you know how it goes.

The shipping label was here in two hours and the RC is on its way to Carson, CA.

So far so good and - so far - it's been faster service than promised. Very good feeling about this one.

Thanks DJI.

Just checked status on-line. Quite pleased thus far.

Like the P3P - now I actually like DJI service. Thanks guys.

DJI.jpg

Package from DJI this morning. They simply sent me a new RC.

No complaints. Two week turnaround....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers