Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

P3P cannot do POI in medium wind

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by PilotHarry, Oct 3, 2015.

1. PilotHarry

I was trying to do POI from 100 feet high, and it couldn't achieve this because of the ~15 wind. Anyone else notice this?

Set it up, pressed go, wouldn't move.

I've done it before with no wind, so I don't think it's user error.

2. 4wd

4wd

Seems odd, I have noticed it's not very good at holding altitude while circling - and that's worse if it's windy.

3. brianb87

Would not move as in take off or your phantom wobbling? I use Autopilot features such as Orbit, Zip Line and Target. In Michigan it has been a steady 15 mph wind for a week now, with gusts reaching even higher speeds. My P3A handles it very well. Roughly the same height and in a open field with a single tree.

4. PilotHarry

It was wobbling, oddly. Wouldn't circle!

I am too paranoid for autopilot as of now. DJI Go for me now :)

5. bobmyers

Off the subject a tad-- is the autopilot app worth the 50 bucks or so with all the features? Opinion??

6. Shammyh

Hmm... and no error in the app? Were you using Litchi or Go?

Sounds like user error more than UAS error... but more details would be helpful.

I flew A LOT of Ground Station/Waypoint on my P2V+ and am up to about 10 fully autonomous flights on my P3P.
    So would love to hear some more info on your issue.

7. Jbundy63

I have had no issues with POI at I know at least 15 MPH winds and circles fine and steady. Only had issues with the updated ISO 9.0 with once I went into POI the video feed cut out so badly it was unusable. I downgraded to 8.4 and has been fine since. What device and software are you running? Just a thought?

8. brianb87

Yes and no.. It's $19.99, follow me is free and the other 3 are $4.99 each. Add another $4.99 for waypoints when it's released I'm assuming. The issue I have with it is that it's not compatible with healthydrones. I am commutating with Autoflightlogic trying to get them to add the correct format for healthydrones. Also you can't check you Mod values, not that I have found anyway. With that said it is super stable, consistent, user friendly and runs very smooth with plenty of options. I have used both DJI GO and Autopilot. I prefer Autopilot over DJI GO.

9. bobmyers

Thanks for the reply-- may just wait awhile longer till everything is there-- really want a good waypoint feature where the way points and altitudes can be set on the map. I can do that on my QAV 500 on the laptop before I fly. Also can input way points further away.

10. brianb87

I don't blame you. I hate flying without being able to check my bird during and after. It's hard to resist some of the features though, such as touch, passive and Target just to name a few. I feel it allows me to customize my flight more using Autopilot. I think, if I remember correctly you can only go out roughly 950ft. Which is not far at all, but As of now it is plenty for me. Here's a few 'follow me' settings from the app.
    ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443930137.834556.jpg

11. PilotHarry

It could very much have been user error... But I don't think it was. The drone was trying to do SOMETHING, but couldn't in the wind?

I'll see if I can recreate the issue, or run it through healthy drones to see if there were any errors

12. PilotHarry

8.4 IPad Air. It's been working great except losing video at 1600ish, which will hopefully get farther once I get the reflector.

Dunno why it refused to do POI