P3P Camera versus GoPro Hero 3+ image comparison

Reaction score
I just repeated a panorama that I took previously under very similar weather conditions. The original (on the right) was taken with a Hero 3+ controlled by a Dronexpert 360 panoramic head. The image on the left is taken with the Phantom 3 Pro camera (mosaic).

I think initially the GoPro image has a lot of punch in terms of the colour contrast, but it has a lot of jpeg artifacts, jagged edges and smooth greens. It also appears over-sharpened.

The P3 image is obviously higher resolution (due to the narrower FOV), but as I have said in another post, it requires some work in post processing to unlock the best of the image. It takes a bit more time (both to acquire a 360 - 3 minutes vs 20 seconds with the GoPro/Dronexpert), but the workflow I am suggesting is:

- Lightroom import
- Lens profile correction (DJI Inspire camera is in there, which I believe is the same as the P3)
- match exposures
- sharpening in NIK output sharpener
- adjust colour temp, clarity and black levels
- export as PSD or TIF files
- stitch with Autopano giga and optionally apply the excellent neutrahazer filter

2015-05-27_1101.png

Obviously image quality is a personal thing, but I'd be interested to know about what others think in relation to still image quality from the P3 compared to other cameras such as the GoPro

best

Nick

I just repeated a panorama that I took previously under very similar weather conditions. The original (on the right) was taken with a Hero 3+ controlled by a Dronexpert 360 panoramic head. The image on the left is taken with the Phantom 3 Pro camera (mosaic).

I think initially the GoPro image has a lot of punch in terms of the colour contrast, but it has a lot of jpeg artifacts, jagged edges and smooth greens. It also appears over-sharpened.

The P3 image is obviously higher resolution (due to the narrower FOV), but as I have said in another post, it requires some work in post processing to unlock the best of the image. It takes a bit more time (both to acquire a 360 - 3 minutes vs 20 seconds with the GoPro/Dronexpert), but the workflow I am suggesting is:

- Lightroom import
- Lens profile correction (DJI Inspire camera is in there, which I believe is the same as the P3)
- match exposures
- sharpening in NIK output sharpener
- adjust colour temp, clarity and black levels
- export as PSD or TIF files
- stitch with Autopano giga and optionally apply the excellent neutrahazer filter

View attachment 20135

Obviously image quality is a personal thing, but I'd be interested to know about what others think in relation to still image quality from the P3 compared to other cameras such as the GoPro

best

Nick
To me the one on the right looks like it has far more detail. The white lines on the roofs are much more defined than the ones in the left. Plus I like the color better on the right one.

Thanks for sharing!

P3P photo wins with me, it's color is more natural, and whites are less washed than the GoPro, out of curiosity were you shooting in protune with the GP? I actually prefer the GoPro color over the protune settings, seems over exposed with protune turned on. Just my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Did you shoot any for full spherical? If so how many rows with the P3?

Thanks..great post..

The P3 wins for me. I would love to get rid of my GoPro Hero 4 Black if they would offer the P3 camera as a handheld version with waterproof housing. They are both great cameras though and have different applications.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20