Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

P3P battery questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by virginblue4, Jun 25, 2016.

1. virginblue4

I have a couple of questions regarding the battery of the P3P.

1. With the discharge feature, does the battery have to actually be in the phantom for this to work?

2. Last week, I charged the battery to 100% and then turned it on and did a few calibrations, and the battery dropped to 96%. I then went to top it off before flying and it wouldn't charge? I drained the battery a couple more percent and then it charged perfectly fine. Does the battery not charge if it is only within a few percent of being fully charged?

3. I've had the battery fully charged all week and although I had planned to get out and use it, I just haven't had time. I checked it today and it's still at 100%, will it be ok for me to fly tomorrow even though it's just been sat there all week?

4. As I can't guarantee I can fly as often as I like, what's the best way to look after by battery? Keep it drained to say 20% and then just charge it if I definitely can go out?

5. It's mentioned on these forums not to take off with less than 100%. What if I go out and have say 95%, is this ok, or should I still not?

Thank you

2. flpholt

1. no
    2.yes
    3.yes
    4 if you dont use it it will auto discharge depending on how you have it set up
    5 yes

3. Multicoptertec

Agree 100% with the the Great Pumpkin. Too add to this, I have taken flight over and over again with batteries less than 100%, and have never had any issues.

flpholt likes this.
  4. Mark The Droner

4 - No, don't keep it drained at 20%. The perfect storage level is around 50%. In other words, if you fly it down to 20%, you would be wise to charge your battery up to around 50% (if you fully charged it, the auto discharge will take care of it for you but that would be redundant).

5. Doink

I've set mine to discharge after 2 days, so just to confirm then are you saying 50% is what auto discharge will take it down too or will it fully discharge it?

6. Mark The Droner

No - my understanding is auto-discharge will take it down to about 65%. Auto-discharge certainly won't fully discharge it.

Doink likes this.
  7. Doink

Champion ;)

8. msinger

Approved Vendor

It will start auto discharging down to 65% after 2 days have passed. The discharge process normally takes about 4 days. So, after about 5 days, your battery will be at 65%.

FYI, if you press the battery button before 2 days have passed, the battery will not start to auto discharge until 2 more days have passed since the battery button was last passed. If you press the battery button while your battery is auto discharging, it'll stop discharging and wait another 2 days before it starts auto discharging again.

9. Doink

OK that's good to know however if they don't get used then my lid has always stayed shut...........and I sulk!

10. Traveler

Also, you can force a 95is% to charge by turning the battery on before connecting it to your charger.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app