P3p battery 8% discharge

Reaction score
I have 3 P3p batteries approaching 20 cycles.
Read several posts about DEEP discharge process...Pro's and Con's. ..
I've used lipos for many years in land RC vehicles. ...Never took a Lipo below 3.4 volts per cell....So My Question is DEEP DISCHARGE
or NOT?????

Guess I'd really like your Current opinions

THANKS Guys!!!

bodine, yes, you should do it since DJI recommends it. Disregard whatever other information you've read about non-DJI lipos.

Discharging to 8% improves state of charge readings if a full charge is done afterwards. Charge monitoring circuits (built into the battery, not the P3) are just not accurate enough without periodic calibration. Deep discharge does nothing to improve the real storage capacity of the new (P3 type) Phantom batteries. Deep discharge may degrade storage capacity depending on several dependent and independent factors. Having accurate battery capacity readings is important for safe flying of the Phantom. DJI recommends to do deep discharges at regular intervals (20), so I will. I figure anyone that can design something that can fly so well must know how to charge, measure, draw and discharge their batteries. I fly my P3A to 10%, land it, remove props and run to 8% after about every 20 cycles.

Last edited:
Every 20 cycles.

This is NOT flights or the number of times you have attached the charger to the battery but rater another calculation within the 'intelligent' battery interface.

Every 20 cycles.

This is NOT flights or the number of times you have attached the charger to the battery but rater another calculation within the 'intelligent' battery interface.

I agree. It is cycles, not flights. But I always start with a full battery and fly it until about 30%. Waiting to recharge until shortly before I fly again. So in my case - about the same.

Reactions: bobmyers
I am recycling tonight and just for everyone's information the latest app 2.4.1 apparently will stop the motors when the batteries reach 10%. This is sitting the P3 on the bench and running them down at idle to reach the 8% level.(without the props)

I had deep cycled two batteries about a month ago sitting on the bench to 8% and I had to shut the motors off when they reached 8% so apparently that change occurred in a software upgrade-- probably the last.

I have 3 P3p batteries approaching 20 cycles.
Read several posts about DEEP discharge process...Pro's and Con's. ..
I've used lipos for many years in land RC vehicles. ...Never took a Lipo below 3.4 volts per cell....So My Question is DEEP DISCHARGE
or NOT?????

Guess I'd really like your Current opinions

THANKS Guys!!!

Currently can't fly, your opinion also would be great, I have a P3p don't know really why as the A is a beauty as well, can shoot 4k but can't play back on anything, question is you paid a lot of money for your bird & do you think it will always be with you, will it or you fail, kinda like preventative measures, opinion is divided with me as 1 day I know she will leave me, be it by my hand or hers, as far as batteries go its me that needs to deep cycle

I am recycling tonight and just for everyone's information the latest app 2.4.1 apparently will stop the motors when the batteries reach 10%. This is sitting the P3 on the bench and running them down at idle to reach the 8% level.(without the props)

I had deep cycled two batteries about a month ago sitting on the bench to 8% and I had to shut the motors off when they reached 8% so apparently that change occurred in a software upgrade-- probably the last.

My 1st battery is on 40cycles & all the cells are spot on, 100% battery life - in your opinion would you deep cycle it?

I did it at 20cycles as the cells were way off & it corrected it

When the battery reach 0%, the cell voltage is 3.5V. So it is safe to deep cycle your battery.

Deep discharging after 20 cycles is a good practice but don't leave the battery in discharged state for long. It is advised to put it to charging again immediately to full.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.