P3P – Motors mounted at an angle???

Reaction score
Hello all,

I received my P3P about a week ago, and I’m going through my due diligence before I stick this marvelous piece of work. Everything checks out o.k. so far, and I’m hoping to get some flight time in this weekend.

One thing I noticed is the angle of how the motors are mounted relative to the arms. It appears each motor are angled slightly to the outside and in towards the opposing arm. I don’t see this on my P2V+.

Has anyone else noticed this? I’ve attached a couple of pictures, one of the P3P, and one of the P2V+.

Regards

Bit

Attachments

• IMAG0389.jpg
    IMAG0389.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 457
  • IMAG0390.jpg
    IMAG0390.jpg
    738.6 KB · Views: 479
Thanks,

I saw the previous posts on this, but I just had to ask again.

Regards!

Hey, never hurts to ask even if someone comes along and flames you - ha!

I asked the same question myself a few weeks back. It was fresh on my mind

Just like a car, there is always some degree of toe-in to create stability.

I'm a race car junkie. The funny thing is, toe in creates a nice straight line stability, but toe out will create the nice turn in and maneuver setup stability. So there is always a give and take. I don't know enough about the angles of the Phantom motors, but I wonder if there is trade off.

Good analogy. I'm just digressing ....

I'm literally watching F1 practice for the Mexico Grand Prix on Sunday as I type this

Reactions: III% Streve
Well, let's hope everything goes o.k. this weekend. I hear the P3 is leaps and bounds ahead in comparison to the P2V+, which I might add has been a hoot! :eek:)

That too... 4 flat plops will make a vortex state VERY quickly compared to the slight tilt on the P3

Toe-in, we used that on our snowmobiles too.

Learner quad's, yes sir. I've forced VRS on my QR ladybird just to understand what it is. It's real isn't it.

The inward pitch (dihedral) increases stability especially in descent through prop wash. The left and right pitch increases the yaw authority of each arm. Instead of relying on torque alone to yaw the craft, they also create some thrust against the direction of rotation. Pretty cool design.

So I noticed the lateral prop tips are about 1/4" off from lining up, and the front and aft prop tips line up perfectly. By design, or just mine? It's not the props, switching out with different props is the same.

Attachments

• 1447036071069.jpg
    1447036071069.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 401
  • 1447036103241.jpg
    1447036103241.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 388

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members