P3A with HDMI Box Goggles Compatability

Why pay for an HDMI conversion and $300+ goggles when you can just get HooToo goggles and put your phone in it? It makes full VR including looking down to control camera tilt. And all the OSD options you could want. $30 upgrade and you're there. Not seeing a downside. Just curious what the thoughts are.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Have you seen my HooToo single screen conversion? Will HDMI Glasses work with P3A?
I get HD, widescreen viewing from my Samsung Note 5 that is way better than the VR view. I have to look side to side to see everything. Best part is NO Fresnel lenses distorting the view. I use 6+ reading glass lenses but depending on your eyes 2.5x - 4x may do just fine. You need something to let you see things up close even with good vision. I also had to increase the lens to phone distance to keep from being cross-eyed. I have let other people try mine and some like it and some say it is still double image. I probably need to move the spacer out about 1" more for universal viewing and less eye strain. I also use this for watching YouTube videos now. It is like a personal theatre.

Have you seen my HooToo single screen conversion? Will HDMI Glasses work with P3A?
I get HD, widescreen viewing from my Samsung Note 5 that is way better than the VR view. I have to look side to side to see everything. Best part is NO Fresnel lenses distorting the view. I use 6+ reading glass lenses but depending on your eyes 2.5x - 4x may do just fine. You need something to let you see things up close even with good vision. I also had to increase the lens to phone distance to keep from being cross-eyed. I have let other people try mine and some like it and some say it is still double image. I probably need to move the spacer out about 1" more for universal viewing and less eye strain. I also use this for watching YouTube videos now. It is like a personal theatre.

Very interesting mod. Thanks for sharing. So you just removed the internal wall between the lenses, and replaced the lenses themselves? Other than having less condensed resolution, is there an advantage to this? I don't really care if I have super HD viewing with goggles. But since you won't be using an app for split screen anymore, you'll lose the VR function of it tilting down when you look down, right?

I love seeing some of the innovations on here. Very cool

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, the tilt feature is only part of VR mode. I am in regular mode with my phone connected by USB and slid into the headset. I basically removed the internal wall replaced the lenses as you said, but you also need to increase the focal distance from lens to screen. VR and HDMI goggles use two screens so they can "fake" what's called the "least distance of distinct vision" or the closest 2 eyes can focus on one object. I resolve this by increasing the distance. You need at least 5"-7" without some kind of prisms or mirrors. there is also the "least distance of clear vision". this is easier to resolve with magnifiers like reading glasses. That is why I have 6+ readers in mine. It honestly looks great with 4+ ones too. Depending on your vision you may want less or more magnification. The same way some people can read the newspaper without reading glasses and some can't. The hardest thing to resolve the "Least Distance of Distinct Vision" because we humans have stereo vision and our eyes are about 68mm apart. That is why my headset or even the Headplay's stick out several inches from your face. It is worth it IMO because I can see what my P3 is seeing great and I fly by FPV now about 95% of the time. I have tried my friends new HD FatSharks and I appreciate how good they look and how light they are BUT I have a better view than he does. I can also just use my old deactivated Galaxy S4 with 5" screen as my dedicated headset screen without using my Note 5. This is a great option for us DJI owners since we don't need the radio receivers and all the other stuff that comes with headsets. As for screens you will have a hard time beating the quality of an once expensive HD phone screen. Remember that old smart phone was $699.00 just a few years ago for a reason. Most 4-5year old smart phones have 1080P HD quality and a high pixel count.

Do a test. Get in a dark room and put on strong reading glasses, like 4-6+, then get as close to your phone as possible, maybe 6". It looks like a big screen TV right?

Reactions: alokbhargava
Pros:

1. Good price
2. Small form factor, fits into backpack
3. Acceptable video quality
4. Two independent screens so works good on 2D mode
5. You can view tablet while wearing it

Cons:
1. No pupil distance adjustment.
2. Korean documentation
3. Nose support not that good

Hi all!

I second this. Got mine yesterday at $169,- free expedited shipping from excellent Korean seller:
ACCUPIX 3D Glasses Mybud Present a 110V Adaptor 100inch Virtual screen
(also English manual)

This is my first pair of videogoggles ever, but I connected to my nVidia shield and my first impression is:
  • Nice picture and colours! It seems that the focus point is just in the middle of the screen though, and I am not able to get a clear image over the whole screen. (only brightness adj. with glasses?)
  • Very subjectively, I would say NOT 100" screen! Maybe more like 70" from 5 m.... and just a little bit bigger then my 27" PC screen just in front of me..
  • Bad nose support but its adjustable, and I can make it work. (shipped with two different)
  • Lets lot of sunlight in, but on the other hand no problem to watch tablet underneath. Shipped sunshade helps a bit.

Too bad the pupil distance make them about useless for me!...
I measured it to about 63 mm. and my optics prescription say I got 69,5 mm.
This is too much of a difference, and I loose the small focus point in the middle! Neither can I see the right screen edge with my right eye and left screen edge with my left eye...
-Just has to pass them on... :(

Now my question is, maybe I really wanted a more immerse goggle?
But what about being able to see my tab. and Phantom? Is it as good and easy just to lift your FatShark or HeadPlay's?
Would be happy for any input! :)

/orre

Last edited:
I use my 5.7" phone in a modified Google VR viewer. It is a huge FOV.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl