P3A with dbs mod AND battery powered range booster?

Reaction score
I am getting the dbs mod for my p3A, my question is can i/should I also fit an in line signal booster?

I am in the UK where I'm already expecting bad results due to the power being turned down!

Will one of these

Hobby-Fun 2.4G Radio Signal Amplifier Booster Flying Distance Extender For DJI Phantom Transmitter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012FL4MHI/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_ht.nwb33Q1XVJ

Be any good or will I not need it/risk damaging my Controller?

Attachments

• 1446508464922.jpg
    1446508464922.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 519
I am getting the dbs mod for my p3A, my question is can i/should I also fit an in line signal booster?

I am in the UK where I'm already expecting bad results due to the power being turned down!

Will one of these

Hobby-Fun 2.4G Radio Signal Amplifier Booster Flying Distance Extender For DJI Phantom Transmitter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012FL4MHI/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_ht.nwb33Q1XVJ

Be any good or will I not need it/risk damaging my Controller?
Power been turned down?

The ce power is lower than the standard spec, we are limited in Europe vs the (faa?) American power output for the tx.

The ce power is lower than the standard spec, we are limited in Europe vs the (faa?) American power output for the tx.
That is true for the 802.11xx WiFi standard not the OFDM based transmittion algorithm P3A uses with a proprietary technique for TxRx and the spec range is 1.2 miles.

Have you try flying your P3A with the stock antennas as far as possible to test the range?

Well with my P3P I get an easy 1.6 miles without losing signal and I live in the UK.
Good to hear ☺ it is stated on dji web site that ce power/range is lesser though. I'm more interested to hear of anyone in the UK having done a dbs mod and noticing a drop compared to other countries results.

Good to hear ☺ it is stated on dji web site that ce power/range is lesser though. I'm more interested to hear of anyone in the UK having done a dbs mod and noticing a drop compared to other countries results.
Can you post a link of this Facebook discussion pls ?

U keep saying "drop" but you dont specify. Drop compared to what? And why would u want to compare drop in DBS moded RCs?

People in the UK have done the itelite DBS mode which by the way is just a directional antenna without boosters. I am confused about what is it tha you are after.

First test your range with stock antennas in a non populated area and with LOS then let us know how far u got then u can compare it with others. If any the DBS mode increases sig directivity thus the range.
If u apply the DBS mode you can increase your range beyond 1.2 miles.

Search in this forum there is plenty in this subject and the mods.

Can you post a link of this Facebook discussion pls ?

U keep saying "drop" but you dont specify. Drop compared to what? And why would u want to compare drop in DBS moded RCs?

People in the UK have done the itelite DBS mode which by the way is just a directional antenna without boosters. I am confused about what is it tha you are after.

First test your range with stock antennas in a non populated area and with LOS then let us know how far u got then u can compare it with others. If any the DBS mode increases sig directivity thus the range.
If u apply the DBS mode you can increase your range beyond 1.2 miles.

Search in this forum there is plenty in this subject and the mods.

What I'm after finding out is

●if the reduced range in the UK (ce) affects the dbs mod in any way.

● if there is a reduction in range can I counteract this by using the boosters/amplifiers I specified earlier?

●are the boosters/amplifiers safe to use with the dbs mod?

And I've not specifically seen results from people in the uk as it had not generally been part of the discussion on the posts I've seen anyway.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

What I'm after finding out is

●if the reduced range in the UK (ce) affects the dbs mod in any way.

● if there is a reduction in range can I counteract this by using the boosters/amplifiers I specified earlier?

●are the boosters/amplifiers safe to use with the dbs mod?

And I've not specifically seen results from people in the uk as it had not generally been part of the discussion on the posts I've seen anyway.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.
As far as i knoe buddy there is no CE or other reduction.
Why use the boosters with the DBS mode????? Your battery won't get you further than 7km and back.

Reactions: clivek_77
Well I did a 1.6 mile run just on Saturday night on a very, very, very high interference area (I know, I should not have but I could not resist it).

I did use a Aluminium windsurfer without a slight hitch of signal loss, could of gone more if it werent for the bloody fog which made me scared.

I went out using the windity website so I knew which way the air was coming from and also uavforecast.com, went out with 100% battery, landed with 70% battery, was at an altitude of 180m.

I know I could of gone atleast 2.5-3 miles but there was also fireworks around plus was out in the cold and again it was so foggy.

Oh yeh as mentioned in one of my previous posts I get blackouts on my fpv and other glitches which was also another factor as to why I turned around.

As far as i knoe buddy there is no CE or other reduction.
Why use the boosters with the DBS mode????? Your battery won't get you further than 7km and back.

Here is the data from dji website regarding the ce compliance. It is noticeably reduced range.

The whole point of this thread really is to determine if anybody using a dbs mod in the uk had noticed the ce regulation affecting is use compared to elsewhere.

I'd really like to hear from anyone using a dbs mod in a CE rated country and their results.

Attachments

• 1446573320757.jpg
    1446573320757.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 347
Plenty of people in the UK with the DBS mod maxing out their range - battery is limiting factor.
I would take those stats with a giant pinch of salt. I don't think DJI want to officially state the real range as it looks bad on them to many people. People seem to disapprove of long range flying...........

Well I did a 1.6 mile run just on Saturday night on a very, very, very high interference area (I know, I should not have but I could not resist it).

I did use a Aluminium windsurfer without a slight hitch of signal loss, could of gone more if it werent for the bloody fog which made me scared.

I went out using the windity website so I knew which way the air was coming from and also uavforecast.com, went out with 100% battery, landed with 70% battery, was at an altitude of 180m.

I know I could of gone atleast 2.5-3 miles but there was also fireworks around plus was out in the cold and again it was so foggy.

Oh yeh as mentioned in one of my previous posts I get blackouts on my fpv and other glitches which was also another factor as to why I turned around.
Flying at 180M?!

You need to get 2 sunhans 2.4 ghz 3w amps . They are sold on amazon for about 60 bucks each . You will also need a battery to power them fpvlr sells a dual lead 3000 mah battery that works great . The same battery will power both at the same time.

Reactions: clivek_77
I am having a nightmare with latest firmware atm will soon be pushing this setup to its limit!! What little I did get out of it weather/time permitting before the worst update ever was so strong! Can't wait to get out!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub