P3A with 4K Camera

Reaction score
I had to send my P3A in for service of the camera and gimbal because it would not maintain level horizon. I got it back after a couple weeks and they replaced the camera with a 4K version. Besides the obvious resolution difference do I gain any other benefits like maybe the faster bitrate of the video stream to the controller?

Are you 100% sure ?? It should function and be for all intensive purposes a pro now. From what I have read the birds are the exact same , it's the camera that decides if it's a pro or and advanced

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

May be a dumb question but where does lightbridge reside? That is what controls the bit rate, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I believe the lightbridge (inside the phantom) is capable of whatever the camera can produce, the dedicated chip on the pro that handles live feed gives a higher amount of data for the lightbridge to send. In the advanced, one chip is responsible for both the live feed and saving the data to the SD card. But I could be wrong

May be a dumb question but where does lightbridge reside?
Right above the VPS module:

dji_phantom_3_stripped_18.jpg

Reactions: SergeantJoKer
I believe the lightbridge (inside the phantom) is capable of whatever the camera can produce, the dedicated chip on the pro that handles live feed gives a higher amount of data for the lightbridge to send. In the advanced, one chip is responsible for both the live feed and saving the data to the SD card. But I could be wrong

I definitely don't know much about that. Maybe somebody better versed in the technical stuff can chime in if the light bridge is different or not between the models

Are you 100% sure ?? It should function and be for all intensive purposes a pro now. From what I have read the birds are the exact same , it's the camera that decides if it's a pro or and advanced

The replacement camera was clearly marked 4K and I was able to install the Pro firmware. DJI Go app also now lists 4K recording mode.

I'd just enjoy the free pro upgrade then lol !!

If in this case, beside upgrading the aircraft firmware to p3p, the RC and intelligent battery need upgrade firmware or jus use the present installed

I'd try to upgrade everything if it asks you to.. But I'm no expert

My understanding is ( i could be wrong and my wife says I am always wrong) the only difference between the Advanced set up and the Pro is the gimbal main board. I understand u can put a 4K camera on an Advanced Main board and it is still an Advanced. Look at the back of the board, if it has a fan it is a true 4K. The actual cameras are the same. Anyone agree with me? Should I shut up like my wife says. ??

the only difference between the Advanced set up and the Pro is the gimbal main board
It seems people are always swapping the camera & gimbal. I haven't seen anyone only attempt to swap the camera.

I had to send my P3A in for service of the camera and gimbal because it would not maintain level horizon. I got it back after a couple weeks and they replaced the camera with a 4K version. Besides the obvious resolution difference do I gain any other benefits like maybe the faster bitrate of the video stream to the controller?
They just switched it to a 4K camera? You didn't ask them too or anything? That's strange but awesome for you! :)

They just switched it to a 4K camera? You didn't ask them too or anything? That's strange but awesome for you! :)

Yes, I did not ask for the upgrade. They took it upon themselves to upgrade. I don't know if it was because of parts availability or a Christmas present but to say the least I was shocked when I discovered the change. I did update the firmware in the RC as well as the aircraft. The batteries did not require an update.As I previously mentioned the issue I sent it in for was related to an inability to maintain level horizon. I have noticed a lot of people who have suffered the same symptoms. Some have remedied using calibration techniques but I could never correct it on mine. I sent it in and less than 3 weeks later it came back with the upgrade.

Cyberthingy,
Just to clarify. Who did this camera replacement/upgrade; a local dealer or DJI themselves?
DJI seems to be warning everyone NOT to do this, but without giving any clear reason

Cyberthingy,
Just to clarify. Who did this camera replacement/upgrade; a local dealer or DJI themselves?
DJI seems to be warning everyone NOT to do this, but without giving any clear reason

I had sent my P3A to DJI repair center in California because my camera/gimbal would not maintain level horizon. I got it back about 2 weeks ago and I have only flown once to verify the problem did go away. My particular aircraft was a newer version with the new motors and shell.

Thanks for that info. The weird thing is that DJI Europe are saying this cannot be done. When I did it (long chain elsewhere on this forum) the cooling fan did not work. I thought I had a defective camera but DJI said this fault is inevitable if a P3P fan is put on a P3A.
So please can you tell me: does your fan work? From the feedback of others with a genuine P3P, the fan should come on within 5 minutes of starting to record 4K. Easy to check on the bench.
In contrast even though my P3P camera records 4K fine, no action from the fan. After approx 30 minutes of 4K recording the camera status light starts double flashing to indicate overheating. The video card casing is almost too hot to touch by that point.
I'd love to hear that yours doesn do this.

Thanks for that info. The weird thing is that DJI Europe are saying this cannot be done. When I did it (long chain elsewhere on this forum) the cooling fan did not work. I thought I had a defective camera but DJI said this fault is inevitable if a P3P fan is put on a P3A.
So please can you tell me: does your fan work? From the feedback of others with a genuine P3P, the fan should come on within 5 minutes of starting to record 4K. Easy to check on the bench.
In contrast even though my P3P camera records 4K fine, no action from the fan. After approx 30 minutes of 4K recording the camera status light starts double flashing to indicate overheating. The video card casing is almost too hot to touch by that point.
I'd love to hear that yours doesn do this.

The fan does work. It came on once I started recording 4K while on the ground but it appeared to be off after I had landed and stopped recording. I'm not sure if it stopped prior to landing or the moment I stopped the recording but I am certain it was spinning initially.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl