P3 Firmware P3A with 1.6.40 - fine for me.

Reaction score
I've heard stories of how bad ver 1.6.40 is, but I uploaded it last night, flew it today with no problems or any decrease in speed at all.
DJI GO app is 2.4.2
RC is 1.5.70

I was getting a steady vertical speed of 11mph and a steady horizontal speed of 35mph.

Temps were about 23 degrees F.

Is anyone experiencing slow speeds with this upgrade?

Reactions: coyote107
did you have any gimbal shake after the update? I just did the update the other day and now my camera gimbal has a slight shake to it and noticed my phantom drifts a bit when hovering not alot but not as steady as it used to be before the update

I didn't notice any shake or drifting, but I'll watch for anything next time.

Thanks Scratch for your update on the new fw. Ive been reading about this 1.6 upadate till my eyes bled. And most update results were really bad? I am really glad to hear a positive post! Through my research i did learn that my p3a has the updated motors and shell so we'll see how the update goes. It's cold here in Illinois and the update deals with cold weather enviroments so ill most likely update this weekend. Thanks again....

Reactions: Scratch
No issues with my P3A on 1.6 either. I too have the new motors and shell.

No issues with my P3A on 1.6 either. I too have the new motors and shell.
How do you tell if you have the new style shell? I know I have the new style motors, but I didn't know there was a newer style shell…

If you hold the motor ends up close to a bright light you should be able to see a web pattern in the plastic housing. The pattern goes from the outside of the shell in towards the motors. This is the newer shell design. The old design had only a four webs supporting the motors. I hope I explained this so you can understand what I'm trying to describe.? I can't find the post about this but there were photos showing what I am trying to describe.

Does the 1.6.40 have any traces of the geofencing?

I've tried firmware v1.6.40 and had no problems. I haven't seen any signs geofencing has been incorporated yet.
However I can confirm it scales back vertical speed starting about 80% battery power. Speed is about 11mph on full charge but only about 8mph or less on 50% charge.
Air braking also seems to be less effective.

I downgraded to V1.5.0030 and I get good performance all through the flight again. I just have to use extra caution in the cold. I keep the battery warm and hover low for a minute before flying. I dont go fast in cold with a low battery. I think dji got unnecessarily cautious when dialing back some things in the cold weather update.

I am wondering if the batteries need to be downgraded as well. Hopefully the only change to the battery in v1.6.40 is more tolerance of low battery voltage before shutting off. (I'm guessing that's what changed)

It was no problem to downgrade. I just did it like a normal firmware update.

the changes are to avoid blowing up the battery when going over the maximum safe discharge current the battery can handle. the airbraking in particular in previous versions is pretty violent and uses a lot of energy.
I would also suspect newer batteries to be a lesser batch... now then again, i still like having the energy and control ;-)

Reactions: craighip
I've heard stories of how bad ver 1.6.40 is, but I uploaded it last night, flew it today with no problems or any decrease in speed at all.
DJI GO app is 2.4.2
RC is 1.5.70

I was getting a steady vertical speed of 11mph and a steady horizontal speed of 35mph.

Temps were about 23 degrees F.

Is anyone experiencing slow speeds with this upgrade?
Hi just wanted to say no problems' for me at all same speed everything good used 3 batters so had a good test just one thing I noticed was on the app my serial number that I did not notice before. But that's not a problem temp was 3c happy flying .:):cool: app2.5.1/ phantom 1.6.40/ rc 1.5.70 .

I've been using 3 latest FW's - no problems with any of those (with 2 different p3p's) i do have some shaking (gimbal) from time to time, had with all fw's on both phantoms and it's not FW related.

It's -15C--30C here, gimbal shake will start at some point sometimes. Those rubbers holding the gimbal assy just don't like to be in cold and they will lose some dampering causing the shake.

Hi rulppa have you balanced all the blades because I had vibrating of the gimbal until I balanced all of them regards Craig.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi rulppa have you balanced all the blades because I had vibrating of the gimbal until I balanced all of them regards Craig.

Nope, because i dont have any vibration when starting the flight or inside temps, it comes after 10mins or so when the gimbal dampening rubbers goes from soft to hard because of the freezing temps. Does not affect video so doesnt bother me much. You can try the effect yourself, put one of those spare dampeners in freezer and one inside temp, then compress both with your finger.

Yes of course that would make that happen sorry did not read the temp properly all the best[emoji851]

I don't fly my P3A aggressively. I prefer slow and steady flight for smooth video. So far mine still flies well and stable on firmware 1.6.4.
I still run my DJI Go on version 2.4.3 and I haven't noticed any new Geo fencing NFZ around me.

I've tried firmware v1.6.40 and had no problems. I haven't seen any signs geofencing has been incorporated yet.
However I can confirm it scales back vertical speed starting about 80% battery power. Speed is about 11mph on full charge but only about 8mph or less on 50% charge.
Air braking also seems to be less effective.

I downgraded to V1.5.0030 and I get good performance all through the flight again. I just have to use extra caution in the cold. I keep the battery warm and hover low for a minute before flying. I dont go fast in cold with a low battery. I think dji got unnecessarily cautious when dialing back some things in the cold weather update.

I am wondering if the batteries need to be downgraded as well. Hopefully the only change to the battery in v1.6.40 is more tolerance of low battery voltage before shutting off. (I'm guessing that's what changed)

It was no problem to downgrade. I just did it like a normal firmware update.

I dont think you can downgrade the battery update from 1.6.4 to 1.5.003 since 1.5 wasnt a battery firmware. the actual phantom firmware didnt change from 1.5 to 1.6, 1.6 just upgraded the battery. this is what the flash log showed at least.

Oh - and one more P3A on 1.6 with zero issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.