P3A widw angle lens

Yes, $40 to take out the old lens and $40 to install and focus the new one. I'm going to give it a try on my own. If I fail I will send it in to the pros at Peau.
Sent Peau an email to confirm lens selection. Then I will send an order.
Trying yourself first almost always it will cost more when you send it in. Nothing worse than working on something someone has had a go with and failed..... Almost always something is butchered or missing.

The original lens in the P3 has a focal length of 3.61mm and a diagonal angle of view of 94°
According to the Peau specs their 3.97 mm lens has a diagonal angle of view of 92°
I suspect their number for FOV is a little out but either way the difference wouldn't be much with this lens - not enough to justify using this on a P3.
It would make a lot more sense if you had a GoPro or a P2V+ and were sick of dealing with fisheye.
You wouldn't notice any difference on a P3

I have to totally agree with you on it not being worth changing lens. Of course changing the lens on the GoPro has it pros and cons also. For instance with a 5.4mm I do not have be as close for the same shot with the stock lens but the altitude has to increase to cover more of an area. That is one of the reason one of my three cameras has the stock lens in it so when I need wider area at a lower altitude just change cameras and control the amount of fisheye being removed.

I have to totally agree with you on it not being worth changing lens. Of course changing the lens on the GoPro has it pros and cons also. For instance with a 5.4mm I do not have be as close for the same shot with the stock lens but the altitude has to increase to cover more of an area. That is one of the reason one of my three cameras has the stock lens in it so when I need wider area at a lower altitude just change cameras and control the amount of fisheye being removed.
Received an email from Peau confirming they do not offer a lens that gives a wider view for the P3A camera. Dang.

If you can afford another bird in your fleet, I would suggest the yuneec q500 4k which has a 115° field of view and makes a heck of a difference compared to the P3 lens. But I've come to appreciate the P3 lense for my purposes mostly because it gives a tighter shot at distance which helps avoid having to be too close to most poi's.

If you can afford another bird in your fleet, I would suggest the yuneec q500 4k which has a 115° field of view and makes a heck of a difference compared to the P3 lens. But I've come to appreciate the P3 lense for my purposes mostly because it gives a tighter shot at distance which helps avoid having to be too close to most poi's.
Well I happen to be in the market for a new bird. My P3A drowned in my lake a little while ago. My fault. I was in a moving boat during the flight and lost my orientation (in relationship to the quad). The return to home feature kicked in and landed where I wasn't. Should have been constantly updating my home position - but thought I had time for that later.
So I have the P3A controller and an extra battery. I have delayed the purchase of the replacement copter until the pain subsides and I can refill my hobby money fund.
So if I went with the Q500 it would most likely be the Q500+ versus the 4K. Of course, there is the price difference but I don't need the 4K or have editing software or processing power to handle it. Does the 500+ have the wider field of view like the Q500 4K? Any other feature differences?

Well I happen to be in the market for a new bird. My P3A drowned in my lake a little while ago. My fault. I was in a moving boat during the flight and lost my orientation (in relationship to the quad). The return to home feature kicked in and landed where I wasn't. Should have been constantly updating my home position - but thought I had time for that later.
Too late to help in this case but for anyone else in a similar situation there are a few things that would have prevented this.
1. You can cancel RTH and resume control - every flyer should practice this
2. The radar display goes a long way toward preventing disorientation
3. It's also possible to reset Home to a point on land rather than leaving it where the Phantom was boat launched.
So if I went with the Q500 it would most likely be the Q500+ versus the 4K. Of course, there is the price difference but I don't need the 4K or have editing software or processing power to handle it. Does the 500+ have the wider field of view like the Q500 4K? Any other feature differences?
According to Yuneec, the Q500+ has a Field of View of 130°
Product Specifications
It is well below the performance of the P3 Advanced in a number of areas and is much larger.
Search here for Yuneec to find comments from a number of members that have tried it.

I own it. I believe the fov is 115. However I would not remember the plus version. The camera is not good. If you can wait more, consider the Yuneec typhoon H. But I do agree that the Phantom is much more capable in a number of areas. But we're talking lens here and that isn't changing. If fov is really a deal breaker you'll have to either consider another bird or have multiple choices in your fleet to cover all your needs.

My suggestion is to fly an overlapping flight plan shooting pics at 5s and stitch the pics together.
The P3 camera can shoot timed pics @ 5s, 7s and 10s.
Set it for 5s and then set your speed to get good overlap going forward and at least 30% overlap on the sides.
Then find a good program to stitch it together.
Agisoft Photoscan Pro can be downloaded used for free trial.
You could take your pics with a 60 degree lens and end up with an incredibly sharp, detailed photo.
You could resize the file and go to Staples and get a 3x4 foot photo that will blow you away.
Anything is possible.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic