P3A widw angle lens

Reaction score
I'm trying to get videos on my lake, tracking silt runoff. I have to get to go to 400' to see the shore line and full width of the lake. Is there a lens (add on or replacement) to get the same view at about 200'?

There is no way to replace the Phantom 3 lens. A mutli-layer composition would probably work best. See an example here.

There is no way to replace the Phantom 3 lens. A mutli-layer composition would probably work best. See an example here.
Thanks for the info. But I want to make videos. I want to fly the P3 from open (clean) water to the source of the pollution so the magnitude of the problem is more apparent.

Ah. Yeah, that won't work so well for video :)

Sinisalo, have you tried those lenses?

no, but that is what he was asking for. I personally would use a 3-D mapping solution or the multi layered pano solution you posted but he said that wouldn't work and only wanted to know about wide angle lenses.

Also that company states that most of their sales are for agricultural usage so idk but I thought it was what he was asking.

Yep. It sounds like it. I was just wondering if you knew more -- so you could advise him on whether or not they work well. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

I'm trying to get videos on my lake, tracking silt runoff. I have to get to go to 400' to see the shore line and full width of the lake. Is there a lens (add on or replacement) to get the same view at about 200'?

You have a choice by changing the lens to a lower magnification with wider angle of view and fisheye or staying at a 90° view with lower magnification and you would see more at lower altitude..

Yep. It sounds like it. I was just wondering if you knew more -- so you could advise him on whether or not they work well. Perhaps someone else will chime in.
I guess they have services to install new lense and remove old in case someone is worried about being able to do it right. They have a facebook, instagram,and youtube channel. I don't know how smooth everything goes but here is a link to their services page for installing a new lense: Service: Install Lens With PROFESSIONAL Focusing – Peau Productions

Thank you both. Wish there was a slip on lens but this will do it.
Please report back about your experience and the quality of the product and if your problem was solved. There have been a few posts here about that lense option but nobody has reported back.

Ive used a peau lens on my sjcam sj4000 to remove fisheye. its a high quality product, HOWEVER, it was scary as hell actually opening up the camera and changing the lens even though it was only a $50 camera.

I cant imagine doing this to a phantom. also, when i put the peau lens on the sj4000, i had to connect it to tv out and rotate the lens until it was focused. with the phantom, not sure how you would be able to get it into focus.

edit: didnt realize at the end of the video posted, they show you how to put it in focus

Ive used a peau lens on my sjcam sj4000 to remove fisheye. its a high quality product, HOWEVER, it was scary as hell actually opening up the camera and changing the lens even though it was only a $50 camera.

I cant imagine doing this to a phantom. also, when i put the peau lens on the sj4000, i had to connect it to tv out and rotate the lens until it was focused. with the phantom, not sure how you would be able to get it into focus.

edit: didnt realize at the end of the video posted, they show you how to put it in focus
I guess they have a service to install it for you

I guess they have a service to install it for you
Yes, $40 to take out the old lens and $40 to install and focus the new one. I'm going to give it a try on my own. If I fail I will send it in to the pros at Peau.
Sent Peau an email to confirm lens selection. Then I will send an order.

You have a choice by changing the lens to a lower magnification with wider angle of view and fisheye or staying at a 90° view with lower magnification and you would see more at lower altitude..
Fish eye is not want I want. Just a lower altitude to get my shot. At 400' I can't see the quad.

Fish eye is not want I want. Just a lower altitude to get my shot. At 400' I can't see the quad.

Then use the 3.97mm f/2.8 82° 16mp lens which allow you to much closer then the 400 feet you're shooting from now..Keep in mind that original lens is 20mm verses 3.97mm and that makes a big difference in the altitude that you would need to shoot from.

I have changed the lens on two of GoPro cameras which are harder and more detailed then the P3's camera without any problems. Watching that video the hardest part would be removing the lens from the mount. To bad they don't have mounting frames for the lens that you could just swap over.

Then use the 3.97mm f/2.8 82° 16mp lens which allow you to much closer then the 400 feet you're shooting from now..Keep in mind that original lens is 20mm verses 3.97mm and that makes a big difference in the altitude that you would need to shoot from..
The original lens in the P3 has a focal length of 3.61mm and a diagonal angle of view of 94°
According to the Peau specs their 3.97 mm lens has a diagonal angle of view of 92°
I suspect their number for FOV is a little out but either way the difference wouldn't be much with this lens - not enough to justify using this on a P3.
It would make a lot more sense if you had a GoPro or a P2V+ and were sick of dealing with fisheye.
You wouldn't notice any difference on a P3

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31