P3a update question

Reaction score
This might be foolish to ask, I update via sdcard and now that it's all good to go, do I delete the bin file off my card? I've left it on so far and did flights, downloaded and erased pics/vids but I've always left the bin file on,is it necessary to delete it and should I reformat the card every time I clean it up?

is it necessary to delete it and should I reformat the card every time I clean it up?

It's best to delete it. Every time you turn your P3A on it sees the file and does a version check procedure for the drone, then the battery, and then writes a log file to your memory card. Is it necessary... probably not, but it will shorten your startup time, save a tiny bit of battery and keep your memory card space free for additional photos/video files.

Worst case... it could snafu on you and run another update. Best just to get rid of it once your update is complete.

It's not necessary to reformat your card every time you dump files. Occassionally.. it's a good practice. It will help keep your file fat system defragged. If you use the memory card in another device (camera or what not) then it is a good idea to reformat it once it's back in use in your drone. Other devices "may" have written other/hidden files that "could" potentially interfere with your drones normal write operations.

Better safe than sorry and loose a whole shoot session with a corrupted file, right.

Last edited:
Sounds good, thanks I'll dump that file then. I don't use my cards for anything else, I do my pictures and video and immediately put them on my computer and delete them off the card.

It's best to delete it. Every time you turn your P3A on it sees the file and does a verision check procedure for the drone, then the battery, and then writes a log file to your memory card. Is it necessary... probably not, but it will shorten your startup time, save a tiny bit of battery and keep your memory card space free for additional photos/video files.

Worst case... it could snafu on you and run another update. Best just to get rid of it once your update is complete.

It's not necessary to reformat your card every time you dump files. Occassionally.. it's a good practice. It will help keep your file fat system defragged. If you use the memory card in another device (camera or what not) then it is a good idea to reformat it once it's back in use in your drone. Other devices "may" have written other/hidden files that "could" potentially interfere with your drones normal write operations.

Better safe than sorry and loose a whole shoot session with a corrupted file, right.
Good info, as a newbie I wasn't sure on that either, now if i where to get a new battery I've read it needs that bin file to update also how would that work? Iv also got a p3a , the update I'm referring to is for cold temp. motor startup

if i where to get a new battery I've read it needs that bin file to update also

Correct. Same way... with the .bin file in the root of your memory card. It will do a firmware check on the drone, pass it as no update required, then it will check the battery to see if an update is needed. Again.. delete the .bin file once completed.

I will say though.. the batteries rarely require any updates. It's still better safe than sorry to run any new battery through the firmware check.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1