P3A strobing / flickering video

Reaction score
Hi guys

I had the drone out yesterday, shooting in manual video settings, think 1/120 at 1080p 60fps

When reviewing the footage on the pc I noticed like a weird/annoying flickering on the screen at times throughout the video

surely with the exposure locked in manually there shouldn't be changes like this? I've checked various settings and the anti flicker was set to 50hz, would this have had an impact?

I was shooting with an ND8 filter. I have never noticed this before, any ideas on help?

Does anyone use a lens hood? I have seen shadows of the props before but this didn't look like it

I had white balance set manually. Does anyone know if the ISO adjust automatically when shooting manually? Its a weird effect and almost looks like the ISO is changing to compensate for exposure?

sorry to be a pain

The problem is caused by the sun strobing through the blades onto the lens.

I use a home made hood peak from a small perfume bottle.

Stopped the problem.

Reactions: TonyNI2013
Also camera at 30-45 deg down improves the quality in sun.

Reactions: TonyNI2013
Does anyone use a lens hood? I have seen shadows of the props before but this didn't look like it

I had white balance set manually. Does anyone know if the ISO adjust automatically when shooting manually? Its a weird effect and almost looks like the ISO is changing to compensate for exposure?

sorry to be a pain
When you set up everything manually, nothing should be readjusting itself unless you do the adjusting yourself. It could have been a glitch during that flight. It could have been a playback glitch, but that you can confirm. Outside chance it could the sd card dying. It really depends on subsequent flights now, and if the behavior continues or not. An ND filter with manual settings such as you had is more than enough to put you in the right ballpark, exposure wise. I would not mess around with lens hoods either. They aren't really needed. Even a modest tilt down on the camera of 10 degrees is usually enough to keep the props (and shadows) out of the shot when flying 10mph. Faster flying, you'll need to tilt it down more so and you may need to fly higher to counter the field of view you want. But prop shadows should be null when using an ND filter. You knowing what that looks like and saying this is different- that's pointing to a different problem. Hopefully it was just a one time video glitch.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik