P3A still picures - Sky glaring

Reaction score
P3A.

I can pilot well but my photographic efforts are lacking to say the least, however, I am learning.

My question relates to still shots.

The overall still is fine but the sky glares thus spoiling the overall picture.

I have Gimp and have tried to adjust the colours curve but, of course, this effects the whole picture.

Any advice please?

P3A.

I can pilot well but my photographic efforts are lacking to say the least, however, I am learning.

I have Gimp and have tried to adjust the colours curve but, of course, this effects the whole picture.

Any advice please?

shoot in manual mode to reduce the exposure setting.

If you do shoot in automatic, point the gimbal down so there isn't so much sky showing. You'll notice the ground getting brighter. In automatic mode the bright sky tells the camera that things are too bright and it wants to darken things down, making the ground very dark. If your photo processing program supports RAW format shoot only in RAW. You can adjust the brightness (and all other parameters) much more than with JPEG.

Any advice please?
All cameras have trouble rendering a scene with a big range between bright and dark areas.
The Phantom is no exception - it has less dynamic range than my on-the-ground camera.
Understanding that is the key.
Avoid shots with a bright sky and dark foreground.
The best way is to shoot with the sun behind your Phantom rather than shooting into the sun.
You'll get nice skies and well lit detail on the ground .. like this:
i-vdJg5V7-XL.jpg

Reactions: deltamike
Thanks. Would the overall picture be darker if I reduced the exposure setting?

yes its a balancing act. try getting a good balance between the sky and ground with manual mode, the over exposure lines in the app are very helpful for this.

shoot in RAW and also try HDR or AEB to get more dynamic range.

i got the shot below yesterday at sunset with HDR / RAW / Manual Mode

[GALLERY=media, [ATTACH=full]62544[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• DJI_08102.jpg
    DJI_08102.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 220
I would also suggest you start looking into not only Neutral Density filters (ND filters), an absolute must for good photos and videos, but if you absolutely have to capture bright skies and less bright terrain in the same shot, consider using a gradient Polarized filter which will even out the exposure of the sky with that of a less lit ground .. sigh .. so much to learn for all of us ...

Good luck

I would also suggest you start looking into not only Neutral Density filters (ND filters), an absolute must for good photos and videos
While ND filters have their uses in video, they aren't much use for stills with a Phantom.
They would only be useful if you need to slow the shutter speed for some reason.

for the OPs use case of sunrise / sunset a ND filter may also be helpful, a polarizer will typically be the best. in the photo i uploaded above i used a ND4-PL filter on my P4.

ND filters and polarizers help control the light and increase color saturation. think of sunglasses for your camera :)

Last edited:
If you do shoot in automatic, point the gimbal down so there isn't so much sky showing. You'll notice the ground getting brighter. In automatic mode the bright sky tells the camera that things are too bright and it wants to darken things down, making the ground very dark. .

I'm certainly no photographer, I take pretty good pictures on the ground but will admit my camera in auto mode does everything for me almost perfectly (Sony NEX-5T). As a phantom newbie I've read a lot of posts about a lot of different topics and now i feel a little dumb. Reading this simple post just explained a lot and i feel like its something I should have realized before. Cant wait to try this and manual mode. Also, my other idea is, in Auto mode, if you tilt down a little as you suggested and then lock the AEF, would this help when tilting back up or would the sky then be too bright? Cant wait to try all these options this weekend.

I'm certainly no photographer, I take pretty good pictures on the ground but will admit my camera in auto mode does everything for me almost perfectly (Sony NEX-5T). As a phantom newbie I've read a lot of posts about a lot of different topics and now i feel a little dumb. Reading this simple post just explained a lot and i feel like its something I should have realized before. Cant wait to try this and manual mode. Also, my other idea is, in Auto mode, if you tilt down a little as you suggested and then lock the AEF, would this help when tilting back up or would the sky then be too bright? Cant wait to try all these options this weekend.

personally i havent gotten great results with AE Lock , it seems like it turns itself off after a couple photos ,usually i look for the brightest part of the sky adjust manual settings, then look at the darkest part and readjust to get a good balance

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers