P3A & Samsung Tab S 8.4 unusable. Help

I am new to owning one, but I did do a lot of reading on forums before purchasing over the last year. The only reason I updated was because it seemed like a lot of the fly-aways of the earlier Phantoms were often times blamed on running out of date firmware. I didn't want to take that kind of chance with my new purchase.

Do you know if there is any way to downgrade the firmware? Is there a place to find older versions? I'd really like to try that and an older version of the app just to see if it resolves the issue.
Actually, I think it was the contrary... the fly aways were caused by jumping on the latest firmware. I never updated my V+ for that reason.
No one has figured out how to downgrade P3 yet. But if you want older FW, just copy the link to the latest one and change the version number in the URL to whichever version you want.

I have similar problem, my iPad2 is not compatible. Called dealer tech and they told me all their guys us the NVIDIA Shield because the processor is for gamers and has better graphics and speed. Amazon has them for $199. I am going to try this route as price is factor with me also. Even if DJI were to include older iPads etc it is well known that Apple takes months to review and ok releases.

Hi,

Yesterday my P3A arrived.

I have since been out for two short distance park flights, at two different locations. Both areas with low congestion of wifi signals.

I have the latest android App installed on my Samsung Tab S 8.4, and the latest P3A firmware on the quad.

I know the tab S isn't supported officially by DJI, but apparently a few people seem to be using it with success.

I have found it to be totally unusable. Lag is terrible, Video transmission is really really choppy. Its like a 1 to 5 fps situation. sometimes locking up completely for a few seconds during a quick yaw. It doesn't matter if I am 3 meters away or 300, same issue.

Dji Pilot app shows full bars for HD transmission and rc control.

Are there any troubleshooting steps i should try before i go and buy a Nvidia Shield?

i do not really want to buy a new tablet only to find out the issue is with the quad.

these are what I have tried do far.

- made sure RC antenna orientation is correct.
- changed to manual channel select and lowered transmission rate to 4Mbps
- tried auto channel select.
-removed dji pilot app from google play store, re installed directly from DJI website.
-made sure no other apps running on tablet.
-disabled video cache

Cheers

Chris

So I went out and purchased a Ipad mini 2.

Video was so,so smooth compared to what I had seen on my Samsung android tablet. Hardware decode enabled. Only test flew for a few minutes so cannot comment on whether it overheated, or if any lag developed later on in the flight.

Compared to my Samsung tab s 8.4, the ipad mini 2 screen is really hard to see in daylight. very bright overcast day here. I will definitely need to build a sunshade.

I decided to root and upgrade my Samsung tab s 8.4, following the guide that @louforgiveno provided earlier in this thread.
Really nice bloat free OS.
I am yet to flight test the tab with the new OS installed. I am not hopeful though.

I have been reading many reports of android users having serious lag issues with the latest 1.9 P3 firmware. Even people with the Nvidia shield are having trouble, and that thing is grunty as.

Surely DJI will get this fixed soon. maybe.. hopefully.

For now I will keep both devices. This may come in handy, as it seems app development speed and features offered are quite different between the two platforms.

I am happier now knowing that I do not have a dodgy lightbridge unit, and that it must be software/firmware related issue.

Cheers

Reactions: louforgiveno
Okay ... I spent a few hours flying my P3P with a Samsung Tab S 8.4. I had rooted it and installed the vanilla version of Lollipop.

I had the same problem I had with the factory software. The image lagged then the app locked up. I found that if you wait long enough, sometimes the app will disappear or an error message will be displayed then the app will restart. Once when the app restarted, it reconnected and immediately displayed "Home Point Set." I didn't take the time to look to see if it had been reset. I just flew back and landed.

I went through the settings in the Pilot app. I turned off the options to Calibrate Map Coordinates for Mainland China, Locally Cache Video, and Show Flight Route. And, I set Image Transmission Settings to Custom and the quality to the lowest setting.

This made the app usable throughout each flight. It still lagged near the end of the flight, but not as badly, and it didn't crash.

The Google error that sometimes appears and the fact that the app's performance gets worse over time leads me to believe that it is software problem, something like a memory leak, in the Android version of the Pilot app. Since Inspire flyers have had good experiences with the Tab S, I hope it is somthing DJI will be able to fix soon.

-- Roger

Hi just got my Phantom 3 yesterday and after installing the DJI pilot app and getting it all working I went out about 20min ago and did a maiden flight. I am also getting some serious lag. I wasnt sure if this was just normal for the lightbridge. When its right should it run at similar speeds to normal FPV type setups or will there still be some lag? Would the HDMI port into a screen be faster? I also battled with the reflection onto my Sumsung s4 tab 10.5 (which is also to big for the clamp so had to use some cable ties to hold the top for a test) so I will have to make a sun shield. With a sun shield it might not be so easy to get to the touch screen so maybe just using the HDMI into a normal screen is not so bad.

Jase I am having the same problem with choppy video displaying on my Samsung tab s 8.4. I have been reading many threads on forums saying this started happening with the last firmware update. Most everyone I've seen with the problem thinks its related to being in gps mode. If you check your video reception indoors without gps I think you will find its working perfectly then you go outside and it picks up gps and gets choppy immediately. Many videos on people using their p3s camera to record the stopwatch on another tablet and showing how the video lags when exposed to gps try it. Go on dji website and open support if enough of us complain they will have to fix.

Hi I just did a test. Set the mode to Atti (if that is what you mean?) and still seems to have a delay. If I move the rudder while the Phantom is still sitting on the ground I see the camera moves straight away but the video only moves about half a second later. Has anyone used the html output to a mini dvd screen etc with a html input. I'm feeling a bit desperate because I cant use this Phantom 3 in my business yet without sorting this problem.

Thanks Jase

If someone can advice me. I also need to go upgrade my new phone contract as it is due now. Which android device would be the best for the Phantom 3. I like the Gallaxy note 4 size or maybe a a tablet slightly smaller than the s4 10.5 as this doesnt fit the clamp.... and of course it needs to work properly with the Phantom 3 ;)

Hi I just did a test. Set the mode to Atti (if that is what you mean?) and still seems to have a delay. If I move the rudder while the Phantom is still sitting on the ground I see the camera moves straight away but the video only moves about half a second later. Has anyone used the html output to a mini dvd screen etc with a html input. I'm feeling a bit desperate because I cant use this Phantom 3 in my business yet without sorting this problem.

Thanks Jase
http://forum.dji.com/thread-16777-2-1.html

More experimenting today with my Tab S. Pretty much the same as before. App works well for the first half of the flight then starts to really lag. Response to buttons takes seconds or more. Sometimes the app crashes.

One interesting thing was that once the app sort of restarted and started working well again. So I know the problem isn't heat as some have suggested.

-- Roger

I have s8.4 with the same problem. Someone advised me to go back to 4.4.2 version of Android. I just did it tomorrow morning I'll post results. With new 5.02 version stock or root I had terrible lag and choppy video.

I have s8.4 with the same problem. Someone advised me to go back to 4.4.2 version of Android. I just did it tomorrow morning I'll post results. With new 5.02 version stock or root I had terrible lag and choppy video.

Thanks. I look forward to seeing your results. As I noted before, the problems seemed to have started at the same time that Kit Kat was replaced by Lollipop. It may just be a coincidence. But, I also saw at least one post from someone reporting good results with Kit Kat, so it is worth trying.

-- Roger

Thanks. I look forward to seeing your results. As I noted before, the problems seemed to have started at the same time that Kit Kat was replaced by Lollipop. It may just be a coincidence. But, I also saw at least one post from someone reporting good results with Kit Kat, so it is worth trying.

-- Roger
I got my Galaxy S4 to work by downgrading from Lollipop to KitKat. Before downgrading I had no video feed at all.

OK I did downgrade to 4.4.2 on my Samsung S8.4 (SM-T700) To be very honest - It is was usable thru entire 20 min of flight. I did another flight and same results. Will compare it to Nvidia and post results, Or better I will record video from both screens.

Having issues with mine too, Just bought a tab s 8.4 for sole use on this and then find that everyone's having issues with it.. typical. Mine's running stock samsung 4.4.2. Have just uninstalled and disabled as many unnecessary apps as I could, and will test whether it will give me smooth video tomorrow. Read the whole thread on the DJI forum. They really need to fix the android app up quickly.

Having issues with mine too, Just bought a tab s 8.4 for sole use on this and then find that everyone's having issues with it.. typical. Mine's running stock samsung 4.4.2. Have just uninstalled and disabled as many unnecessary apps as I could, and will test whether it will give me smooth video tomorrow. Read the whole thread on the DJI forum. They really need to fix the android app up quickly.
Interesting. Did you download the app from the Google play store or the DJI website? If you downloaded from the play store, you might want to try the one on the DJI website.

10.5 will snap in, all you do is remove the 2 bottom foam pieces with a hair dryer, drill the bottom hole bigger to fit the mini usb

You need to roll back / uninstall the updates for the Google Play Service.
follow the steps in my post above

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers