P3A & Samsung Tab S 8.4 unusable. Help

Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday my P3A arrived.

I have since been out for two short distance park flights, at two different locations. Both areas with low congestion of wifi signals.

I have the latest android App installed on my Samsung Tab S 8.4, and the latest P3A firmware on the quad.

I know the tab S isn't supported officially by DJI, but apparently a few people seem to be using it with success.

I have found it to be totally unusable. Lag is terrible, Video transmission is really really choppy. Its like a 1 to 5 fps situation. sometimes locking up completely for a few seconds during a quick yaw. It doesn't matter if I am 3 meters away or 300, same issue.

Dji Pilot app shows full bars for HD transmission and rc control.

Are there any troubleshooting steps i should try before i go and buy a Nvidia Shield?

i do not really want to buy a new tablet only to find out the issue is with the quad.

these are what I have tried do far.

- made sure RC antenna orientation is correct.
- changed to manual channel select and lowered transmission rate to 4Mbps
- tried auto channel select.
-removed dji pilot app from google play store, re installed directly from DJI website.
-made sure no other apps running on tablet.
-disabled video cache

Cheers

Chris

Reactions: Kevpain1
Thats very odd i have a TAB S 10.5 and no problems... i even miracast off it to a set of epson bt 200 glasses...

My setup is stock.. and unrooted.

I also use a Samsung S Tab 10.5 with Android 5.02 with P3A and have had zero problems. The smller tablet should logically work the same. It really sounds like a P3A problem. Good luck.

I'm having the same issue you are having and have tried the same things with a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone running Android 5.01. There are a lot of complaints about this app running on a lot of different devices and getting the same behavior. At this point I wasted $1300.

I am having similar problems with my Tab S. Most of the time the video is okay with just a little jittering. But, near the end of my first flight, the app locked up. Not only did the video feed freeze, it totally stopped responding. Closing the app and restarting it didn't help. I haven't had much time to do any debugging yet, but I plan to see what I can turn off, uninstall, and disable on the Tab S since I plan to use it only for the Pilot app.

-- Roger

Having the same problem with a Samsung tab 4, 10.5 for over a week, now my eyes are twitching

Thats very odd i have a TAB S 10.5 and no problems... i even miracast off it to a set of epson bt 200 glasses...

My setup is stock.. and unrooted.
I don't know how your mounting your s tab to the RC controller. I had great success using 1/8 inch plastic about 4 inches wide about 6 inches long. I used a vice and a heat gun to create a pseudo S or Z curve to use as an extension, because the 10.5 was about a quarter inch too tall to mount in the controller bracket.

I'm having the same issue you are having and have tried the same things with a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone running Android 5.01. There are a lot of complaints about this app running on a lot of different devices and getting the same behavior. At this point I wasted $1300.
How'd you waste $1300? Try a different device. It's clearly working for the majority of operators. If you flew it into the ocean, that'd be a waste of $1300.

How'd you waste $1300? Try a different device. It's clearly working for the majority of operators. If you flew it into the ocean, that'd be a waste of $1300.
I tried installing from DJI's website on an Ipad 2 and it said it was not supported. If I can't return it and can't fly it they way I expected to, it is a waste of $1300 since it will just sit on the shelf. At this point I'm not willing to spend another $400 on a new device that may or may not work. If you read enough of the forums, it becomes clear that some people using the same device and firmware version are having very different results.

I tried installing from DJI's website on an Ipad 2 and it said it was not supported. If I can't return it and can't fly it they way I expected to, it is a waste of $1300 since it will just sit on the shelf. At this point I'm not willing to spend another $400 on a new device that may or may not work. If you read enough of the forums, it becomes clear that some people using the same device and firmware version are having very different results.
So spend $150 on a refurbished Nexus 7 II (2013). Lots of guys using them based on the price : performance ratio alone, and I've not read about anyone having issues.

Reactions: bodine
It's also being reported that the latest FW is causing lag issues. So maybe that's you problem.

So spend $150 on a refurbished Nexus 7 II (2013). Lots of guys using them based on the price : performance ratio alone, and I've not read about anyone having issues.
I'd like to get a new Android tablet as I am in the market for one anyways rather than by an older one. But....after spending A LOT of time researching this issue, I can't seem to find one that will serve my dual purpose use and doesn't have issues being reported as an FPV monitor for the Phantom 3. For one person it is working great and then you see other people where they are having horrible problems with the same tablet and Android version. I suspect it has to do with using the older app or firmware for the people it is working for. Like an idiot, the first thing I did when I unboxed it was to upgrade the firmware without at least trying the older firmware.

It's also being reported that the latest FW is causing lag issues. So maybe that's you problem.
And on the DJI forum, someone posted that they had the same problem with the same phone/android version that I am running, but that he didn't have the issue using the old pilot app/firmware combination, so I think that is definitely part of the problem.

It's just a huge bummer. I waited so patiently to get my phantom 3 last Friday and I feel like I'm not able to really enjoy it like I was hoping. Flying with no FPV isn't really all that fun. I need to practice before I venture out into more risky flying areas, but part of that process I feel includes using the app and the camera to monitor everything while you are flying and get your sense of direction through the use of the front facing camera.

And on the DJI forum, someone posted that they had the same problem with the same phone/android version that I am running, but that he didn't have the issue using the old pilot app/firmware combination, so I think that is definitely part of the problem.

It's just a huge bummer. I waited so patiently to get my phantom 3 last Friday and I feel like I'm not able to really enjoy it like I was hoping. Flying with no FPV isn't really all that fun. I need to practice before I venture out into more risky flying areas, but part of that process I feel includes using the app and the camera to monitor everything while you are flying and get your sense of direction through the use of the front facing camera.
I hear ya. Considering the number of people experiencing the same issue, DJI will pump out a fix shortly (and likely break something else in the process, in true DJI fashion). Good luck!

I hear ya. Considering the number of people experiencing the same issue, DJI will pump out a fix shortly (and likely break something else in the process, in true DJI fashion). Good luck!

I am new to the DJI world. Do they tend to release updates/fixes pretty quickly or is it usually a long wait?

I am new to the DJI world. Do they tend to release updates/fixes pretty quickly or is it usually a long wait?
Something like this, pretty quickly. And since you're new, don't ever update the FW unless it adds something you can't live without.

Something like this, pretty quickly. And since you're new, don't ever update the FW unless it adds something you can't live without.

I am new to owning one, but I did do a lot of reading on forums before purchasing over the last year. The only reason I updated was because it seemed like a lot of the fly-aways of the earlier Phantoms were often times blamed on running out of date firmware. I didn't want to take that kind of chance with my new purchase.

Do you know if there is any way to downgrade the firmware? Is there a place to find older versions? I'd really like to try that and an older version of the app just to see if it resolves the issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan