P3A RTH button dislocation

Reaction score
Hi, I've been really enjoying my P3A. I've got about 15 flights in with DJI Go and 5 or so with Litchi. Been keeping her pretty close while learning the various modes. Both apps and the quad have been great, performing as expected and a pleasure to learn.

While doing some Simulator time I gave the RTH button a push as I've only used it once, twice maybe during actual flight to experience behavior. Anyway, the button kind of mushed in and seated to the left of where it should. It still seems to function normally.

I've got an RMA opened with DJI and suspect they'll take care of it without issue.

My question is that I've got a vacation coming up and was looking forward to P3A filming in this location. With the RTH button performing normally in its dislocated position does anyone know of this minor hardware issue escalating to something worse? Heck, I fly pretty conservatively still and don't forsee needing to utilize the button, but like I said it still seems to function fine.

Thoughts?

Thank you!!! Todd

I'm kind of in the same boat .. Mine works but not the way it should !!

Anyone know for 100% sure if this is a warranty issue ? I ordered a p3A and it just arrived and came with the RTH button loose / sunk in compared to my p3pro ... I don't want to send it there and them stick me with a bill for repairing & shipping .. But I think they will replace it since it's new & under warranty ?! Anyone with experience in this situation ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

These defects appear to be manufacturing defects and thus should be covered under warranty.

I had the same issue on mine. RTH button didn't respond at all when enabled on the field (RTH did work when enabled from the app itself) and when I tried activating it using the flight simulator, it became dislodged and sunk under the plastic. I was able to return it to the store and exchange it for a new unit.

I've been somewhat unlucky in this regard (or quality control at DJI has some opportunities for improvement). This is my third phantom 3 pro. The first one came with a gimbal that would not get a level horizon, regardless of calibrations, and then the second one had the RTH button become dislodged. I haven't set up this unit yet, but I'm crossing my fingers for no issues.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm planning to do at least 5 flights at my local park to see if anything seems amiss. I'll keep her close and test the RTH button. If everything seems fine I'll fly on my vacation, if not send in for warranty repair and no vacation Phantom fun.

I just spoke with DJI, they gave me 2 options .. 1) send just the remote for replacement 2) send the entire unit in to have the remote replaced ?

They said its definitely warranty so I'm happy with that !! It's snowing & -17c here right now so I think I'm going to just send the whole package in so they can update everything / test it / send it back !

Any thoughts ?

I just spoke with DJI, they gave me 2 options .. 1) send just the remote for replacement 2) send the entire unit in to have the remote replaced ?

They said its definitely warranty so I'm happy with that !! It's snowing & -17c here right now so I think I'm going to just send the whole package in so they can update everything / test it / send it back !

Any thoughts ?

If it were me, I would send everything in.

I dont understand option b unless they want to link new remote to aircraft. I would just send remote if you have no other issues.

If it were me, I would send everything in.

This is my thoughts too .. That way it's all tested / working / linked. The bird is useless to me sitting here anyhow.

Reactions: jorgeszabo
Hi Todd,

It's covered by the warranty, my remote has just been replaced for the same problem with the RTH button. Take a look at my post : RTH button felt inside the remote

I've got a very good experience with DJI support. But you have to be patient.
I would prefer having my remote fixed while it's on warranty, and I was afraid of If I used the remote with the RTH loose, that It could damaged one day some other things inside the remote. Who knows. I didn't want to lose my bird, so I played safe.

And for the record, send the remote and the aircraft. They do a full inspection of the unit. They have found on mine a problem with the gimbal pitch axis (never noticed that). They have replaced the gimbal and the camera…

Hope it will help you.

Xavier

This RTH button sink-in problem happened to mine a few days ago. Fortunately the RTH function still works. Now I am contemplating if I should discuss with DJI for replacement or keep using mine :confused:

Happened to mine too.
Never noticed when it broke loose though. One day last week I heard the noise of something rattling inside the RC. Then I saw that the RTH button was loose and a bit sinking into the shell.

I decided to open the RC and fix it by myself. The noise I could hear was caused by one of the 2 screws holding the button base. There are 2 small pods, both were cracked (probably because the screws had been tightened too much). I was lucky enough that the loose screw inside the RC shell didn't cause a short circuit or other malfunction while flying.

I repaired both pods with a few drops of Bondic and everything is OK again (and more solid than ever).

Opening the RC is easy but one have to be very cautious with those very thin flat cables and connectors. There are plenty, and when fiddling around and moving parts inside while repairing some of them can easily slip off their connectors.

I took me more than 1 hour to fix the problem, of which 15 min. to decide how to disconnect the USB board flat cable withoutr damaging it. :)

Reactions: Noodle
Same thing happened with my RTH button. Emailed DJI and arranged an RMA and sent only the controller in. According to DJI's repair tracking it's been fixed for free of charge and I'm just waiting for them to ship it back.

Same here ... Mine arrived brand new out of the box with the RTH button "mushy" ... RMA , send it in .. Swapped

I would just send the remote. That way they won't mess with the firmware on your Phantom if you are running an older version.

Any thoughts ?

I would just send the remote. That way they won't mess with the firmware on your Phantom if you are running an older version.

Agreed .. Send just the remote, I sent the whole thing in and they updated my FW and there's scratches & dirty smudged all over my AC. Looks like dirty fingerprints but hard to get off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4