P3A/P Dashware profile for for Dat Files

Bringing in a Litchi log and synching for battery% is really overkill as creating a calculated battery % column in Dashware is only required once as per my above.

However Litchi has two columns that are not found in Dat converted files:
downlinkSignalQuality uplinkSignalQuality - so synching Litchi would prove useful.
Maybe Budwalker will find these in the Dat files.

I would like to see the whole file (so to speak)..

As bud walker mentioned lots of "unknown" columns of data - will be fun to decipher them :)

Ok - heres an example of battery % (im using the datconverter from the fly zip too)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 418
... its from a dat file of a friend (who had an "unknown crash" that I was going to try & see if I could help identify why)

here is the link to their file...

Dropbox - FLY021.DAT

(What do you guys think?... I'm obviously still learning to read the data & unsure what some of the parameters should be - so cant recognise what looks out of place)

EXTREMELY USEFUL !
Thank you very much to Bud and all others who made this possible.

This is da BOMB ! :D
You're welcome.

Please join me in extending a Thank You to @Luap for all the work he has done in making the Dashware profile available. In addition, Luap has provided invaluable feedback and contributed several ideas to the project. The usefulness of the project would not have been possible without his contributions.

I'd also like to thank @TheRealNick for the work he's done. Both TheRealNick and Luap have become flight incident analysis experts.

Lastly, I'd like to thank all the pilots who've contributed their flight incident .DAT files. I know it's a hassle to retrieve and then post the .DAT file. The opportunity to analyze these .DAT files have made a real difference.

... its from a dat file of a friend (who had an "unknown crash" that I was going to try & see if I could help identify why)

here is the link to their file...

Dropbox - FLY021.DAT

(What do you guys think?... I'm obviously still learning to read the data & unsure what some of the parameters should be - so cant recognise what looks out of place)

I can't seen any crash in that file. Maybe you posted the wrong one? I'll also fix the battery%
Ok I see it now.
At start of flight he did an auto takeoff and P3 tipped backwards - but can't figure why.
Then shut motors doing CSC then back on and did a regular take off applying throttle.
Judging from the flight after no damage to the a/c.

Last edited:
You're welcome.

Please join me in extending a Thank You to @Luap for all the work he has done in making the Dashware profile available. In addition, Luap has provided invaluable feedback and contributed several ideas to the project. The usefulness of the project would not have been possible without his contributions.

I'd also like to thank @TheRealNick for the work he's done. Both TheRealNick and Luap have become flight incident analysis experts.

Lastly, I'd like to thank all the pilots who've contributed their flight incident .DAT files. I know it's a hassle to retrieve and then post the .DAT file. The opportunity to analyze these .DAT files have made a real difference.

Of course, just wasn't sure who did what at that time.

LUAP - A huge THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You to TheRealNick

Great stuff

Luap rules ;-)
BudWalker: do you have a list of the flight modes that are possible in the DAT file? I only see 1 and 2 now...

Luap rules ;-)
BudWalker: do you have a list of the flight modes that are possible in the DAT file? I only see 1 and 2 now...
As I've responded to you in an earlier post New version of .DAT converter | Page 3 | DJI Phantom Forum there are 3 independent columns used to represent the flyState. They are flightMode, flightRegime, and navMode. There is also the text representation of these columns. These values come out of the .DAT event log. Additionally, a single flyState (like what occurs in the .txt) doesn't make sense to me, e.g. auto takeoff can occur in both atti and gps_atti flight modes.

Using the text representations the possible values are:
flightMode = {Atti, GPS_Atti}
flightRegime = {engineStart, asstTakeOff, autoTakeOff, autoLanding}
navMode = {goHome, waypoint, followMe, hotpoint}

Combining these fields will yield the flyState ,e.g. {Atti, autoLanding,} is autoLanding in Atti mode, {GPS_Atti, autoLanding, goHome} is autoLanding in GPSMode during a goHome.

@Fredz I implemented this stuff at your request. But, you have refused, at least twice, to look at it and discuss it. Do you not like the answer or is there otherwise a problem?

Are there any dash profiles for the Litchi CSV files?

I tried to get Battery % working last night but I couldn't. I imported it as a flytrex and got most of the screen gauges I wanted. Just not battery %,

As I've responded to you in an earlier post New version of .DAT converter | Page 3 | DJI Phantom Forum there are 3 independent columns used to represent the flyState. They are flightMode, flightRegime, and navMode. There is also the text representation of these columns. These values come out of the .DAT event log. Additionally, a single flyState (like what occurs in the .txt) doesn't make sense to me, e.g. auto takeoff can occur in both atti and gps_atti flight modes.

Using the text representations the possible values are:
flightMode = {Atti, GPS_Atti}
flightRegime = {engineStart, asstTakeOff, autoTakeOff, autoLanding}
navMode = {goHome, waypoint, followMe, hotpoint}

Combining these fields will yield the flyState ,e.g. {Atti, autoLanding,} is autoLanding in Atti mode, {GPS_Atti, autoLanding, goHome} is autoLanding in GPSMode during a goHome.

@Fredz I implemented this stuff at your request. But, you have refused, at least twice, to look at it and discuss it. Do you not like the answer or is there otherwise a problem?

Thanks - I did look at it. In my CSVs both flightregime and navmode are always at 0. Flightmode works fine though.
I'm sorry but I don't recall not getting back to you. I certainly didn't "refuse" on purpose. This is great stuff!
Example: FLY109.DAT which I uploaded yesterday.

I can't seen any crash in that file. Maybe you posted the wrong one? I'll also fix the battery%
Ok I see it now.
At start of flight he did an auto takeoff and P3 tipped backwards - but can't figure why.
Then shut motors doing CSC then back on and did a regular take off applying throttle.
Judging from the flight after no damage to the a/c.

Thank you for your time Luap!

He did say crash.. But the tip backwards you are referring to after takeoff is what he was talking about - the P3 was apparently upside down on its props, he then shut down, checked & relaunched etc - no further problems.

I could see this data.. but couldn't see why?? (I was thinking maybe "prop wash" - but I was unsure about the data showing something more obvious to the trained eye!

Last edited:
Yes - A huge Thank You to all of you for time & effort spent.

I am certainly happy to contribute back (were I can!)

I'm def a bit of a data geek.. I like working stuff out (& used to skimming through huge amounts of data to find stuff)

So shout me if there are projects going / some help needed !

Thanks - I did look at it. In my CSVs both flightregime and navmode are always at 0. Flightmode works fine though.
I'm sorry but I don't recall not getting back to you. I certainly didn't "refuse" on purpose. This is great stuff!
Example: FLY109.DAT which I uploaded yesterday.
This file (FLY109.DAT) has flightRegime equals engineStart at 157.162 and then asstTakeOff at 159.157.

Try DatKML. It's in the Fly.zip that you downloaded, unzipped, and installed DatConverter. It takes the -f and -d arguments.

Outstanding!! Excellent result & exactly what I was looking for

Thank You again!

This file (FLY109.DAT) has flightRegime equals engineStart at 157.162 and then asstTakeOff at 159.157.
You're right; it works fine. NavMode (GoHome) also shows up on another log ;)

Last edited:
I've been asked by some to post the Dashware profile For the DatConverter.
The Dat converter is a little program that converts the Dat logs stored in the Phantom.
The Datconverter thread:
New version of .DAT converter | DJI Phantom Forum
You can download the latest Dat Converter here (the zip file includes instructions how to convert the logs):
Fly.zip

The Dashware profile can be downloaded here (the zip file inludes instructions how to install the profile):
DatconverterProfile.zip

Here is an example of a converted log using the template in the Dashware profile:
View attachment 38212

Let me know if you have any issues.
Have fun and if you create new gauges do post them!
Luap,

Thanks for creating this. I have been importing my flight data files with no issues. Where I am having the problem is when I go to render the video.
Dashware crashes. These are the error messages I get:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DashWare.exe
Application Version: 1.7.4000.37
Application Timestamp: 54e3bde3
Fault Module Name: avcodec-55.dll
Fault Module Version: 55.52.102.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 53855b2a
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00403245
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I have a ticket started at GoPro support - this was the first suggestion they made which did not work.

I have listed some steps on how to correct the error when you are creating videos in DashWare.

There are a few things to look for here:

• Make sure the source file is not open in another application, like Windows Media Player or VLC...or even selected Windows File Explorer.
  • Make sure you're not attempting to render over the original file by rendering to a different folder than the source file...or at least make sure that it has a different name than the source file.
  • Make sure the location to which you're rendering has 'write' access. As a test, try rendering directly to the root of drive C.

This was the second list of corrective measures which also have not worked.

Sorry about the inconvenience this process is bringing you. I would like to suggest some troubleshooting steps below which can fix crashing issues. I would please like you to give it a try.
  • If the loading symbol displays when attempting to launch, but nothing opens, open Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC). In Win7, applications and processes are separate tabs. In Win8 & 10, applications and processes are along the same tabs. If any DashWare processes are shown along the list, select each process and click "End Task" on the bottom right hand corner of the window. Relaunch DashWare from there.
  • Please make sure to install these particular Windows components to verify if they are able to relaunch DashWare.
  • Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) via this link: Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) from Official Microsoft Download Center
  • Locate and delete the .appsettings file. Please see How to Locate the Appsettings and .plist Files then delete AppDataSettings
  • Run ALL updates through Windows Update. Reboot the computer afterwards.
  • Turn off compatibility mode. Right-click DashWare Desktop icon and select "properties". Next select the "compatibility" tab and uncheck the option Run this program in compatibility mode for the users OS (Window 7, 8, 8.1, 10).

Have you or anyone else monitoring this thread run into this issue? I can get all the way to the end. Once I click on "Create Video", the program crashes as seen in the attached image.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 363
Note dashware doesn't work with anything larger than 1080P footage.
Have you tried different MP4s? Different video formats like 720P?
There is a Dashware FAQ Frequently Asked Questions - DashWare
Check the 1st . I know others have had issues but think most got it working - google dashware crash when rendering.
Hope you get it running.

Are there any dash profiles for the Litchi CSV files?

I tried to get Battery % working last night but I couldn't. I imported it as a flytrex and got most of the screen gauges I wanted. Just not battery %,

It can be achieved by a calc.. check previous post in here by Luap

Note dashware doesn't work with anything larger than 1080P footage.
Have you tried different MP4s? Different video formats like 720P?
There is a Dashware FAQ Frequently Asked Questions - DashWare
Check the 1st . I know others have had issues but think most got it working - google dashware crash when rendering.
Hope you get it running.
Luap,

Thanks for the tip. It turns out to be I was trying to render in 4K. Reducing down to 1920 x 1080 fixed the crash problem. Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately , I am down to 1 hair on my head. I had 6 like my avatar. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers