P3A/P Dashware profile for for Dat Files

When you go to flylog.info the very first page you see should have the following text.

Before you upload a .DAT please consider using the offline version, DatConverter, instead. DatConverter runs on your PC, i.e., you don't have to wait while the network uploads your .DAT file and then downloads the .csv. The following instructions tell you how to obtain and install DatConverter.

Don't want to do all that and just get your .DAT converted? Then press the Upload button above.

Did this not show up in your browser?

Yes this showed up & I did it...

It produced a csv that I tried to use in the program.. But I got...

"<Required> \ Data Running Time, Seconds data type"

(In a pop up window)

Yes this showed up & I did it...

It produced a csv that I tried to use in the program.. But I got...

"<Required> \ Data Running Time, Seconds data type"

(In a pop up window)
If you've uploaded the file what was the file name. If not, then upload the file to flylog.info and lemme know the file name.

I need to find another free zip program & try downloading zip file again..

As I didn't see anything to convert dat files in the zipped folder

(I think I had maybe 4 files + folder - this is from memory as I'm away from computer now)

One of those files was the instructions - which I followed

But I didn't have a sample csv in that folder - which is when I resorted to that website to convert a dat file of mine..

Which is what got an error when trying to add to the program in the computer

If you've uploaded the file what was the file name. If not, then upload the file to flylog.info and lemme know the file name.

Do you have access to it then?

It was just called fly070 (updated dat file / downloaded csv file about 3-4 hours ago)

Also, what I noticed is from the notes on that website was it mentioned files that weren't in the zip file I downloaded.

So maybe I should attempt another unzip when I have another program

OK, I just retrieved FLY070.csv (that's exactly the copy you downloaded after uploading FLY070.DAT) from flylog.info . I then loaded it into Dashware without a problem. So the problem must be in how you're using Dashware.

You say this website, that website, etc. and I can't follow what you're doing.

If you want the online version then you have to go here Fly.zip

The Dashware profile can be obtained here DatconverterProfile.zip

Bud,

Hi, I am trying to use this flight log reader and I am getting an error on my converted CSV file. I wonder if you might know how I can correct this?
Error.jpg

Unfortunately I have limited experience with Dashware. I installed @Luap 's profile following the instructions and have used it a couple of times. Your best bet is get @Luap or some other Dashware expert to help you.

During the installation there were several steps that I didn't understand and had to rely on following the installation instructions exactly.

I can generate an error similar to yours by not specifying the data profile; not "DatConverter V1", I am wondering why yours has a "(2)". Maybe you copied it twice so you have DatConverter.xml and DatConverter.xml (2)

In order to use luap's Dashware profile you must use the DatConverter found here Fly.zip or upload it to flylog.info and then download the .csv.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Bud,

Hi, I am trying to use this flight log reader and I am getting an error on my converted CSV file. I wonder if you might know how I can correct this?
View attachment 40126

Close Dashware.
And copy again the DatconverterV1.xml only (overwrite it). Part marked in yellow
upload_2016-1-11_20-39-16.png

Close the Fly118.csv file you might have open in Excel (or opened in any other program)
Open Dashware, load the template, then click on the + add Fly118.csv and profile DatconverterV1. (it should not be called DatconverterV1(2)) as per your above screenshot.
i.e. follow the video here.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you still get the same error message load profile as per video in the last screen of the video and make a screenshot of the full screen.

can I confirm a few things please?....

1) I have downloaded Fly.zip - the folder is now in my "downloads" folder (C:\Users\Justin\Downloads\Fly)

2) I have copied "DatConverter" (only) directly into c:\windows\system32

3) I have opened "command prompt"

(Sorry, now I am stuck!!)

1) As far as I understand from the notes provided I am to type "DatConverter -f ../Documents/P3P/FlyLogs/FLY070.DAT"

I have tried this but the response I get from command prompt is:

"Error: Unable to access jarfile C:\Windows\system32\DatConverter.exe

2) what is the "exact" command I should be typing to generate a CSV file from a DAT file?

(for example my FLY070.DAT file is currently located: C:\Users\Justin\Documents\P3P\FlyLogs\FLY070.DAT

ALL HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED !! - I have tried to be as clear as poss, please advise if you need other info

Give me csv's / excel worksheets & I can do magic!

But I am a little stuck with getting the converter to work... I am hoping to return the favour / contribute back when I am up & running

Close Dashware.
And copy again the DatconverterV1.xml only (overwrite it). Part marked in yellow
View attachment 40156

Close the Fly118.csv file you might have open in Excel (or opened in any other program)
Open Dashware, load the template, then click on the + add Fly118.csv and profile DatconverterV1. (it should not be called DatconverterV1(2)) as per your above screenshot.
i.e. follow the video here.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you still get the same error message load profile as per video in the last screen of the video and make a screenshot of the full screen.

Hello Sir

this is the same error I got last night.... (please see my post above)

I have since removed everything - I was going round in circles & got tired.

I am hoping to do a fresh install tonight!!!...

Please can you confirm:

where I should get my copy of dashware - so that I know I have that correct.

& thank you for your video last night... I had most the steps correct - but must have done something wrong somewhere as I got the error message the other user showed a pic of.

Thanks for your help

can I confirm a few things please?....

1) I have downloaded Fly.zip - the folder is now in my "downloads" folder (C:\Users\Justin\Downloads\Fly)

2) I have copied "DatConverter" (only) directly into c:\windows\system32

3) I have opened "command prompt"

(Sorry, now I am stuck!!)

1) As far as I understand from the notes provided I am to type "DatConverter -f ../Documents/P3P/FlyLogs/FLY070.DAT"

I have tried this but the response I get from command prompt is:

"Error: Unable to access jarfile C:\Windows\system32\DatConverter.exe

2) what is the "exact" command I should be typing to generate a CSV file from a DAT file?

(for example my FLY070.DAT file is currently located: C:\Users\Justin\Documents\P3P\FlyLogs\FLY070.DAT

ALL HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED !! - I have tried to be as clear as poss, please advise if you need other info

Give me csv's / excel worksheets & I can do magic!

But I am a little stuck with getting the converter to work... I am hoping to return the favour / contribute back when I am up & running
As per the "Installing and Using DatConverter" that is in the .zip that contains DatConverter.exe it seems that a few people have this problem when installing it in the C:/Windows/System32 directory. You'll need to install it in somewhere else that is referenced by the PATH variable. If you need more info on how to do this look at PATH (variable) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If this isn't going to work for you just upload to flylog.info to get the .DAT converted to a .csv

As per the "Installing and Using DatConverter" that is in the .zip that contains DatConverter.exe it seems that a few people have this problem when installing it in the C:/Windows/System32 directory. You'll need to install it in somewhere else that is referenced by the PATH variable. If you need more info on how to do this look at PATH (variable) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If this isn't going to work for you just upload to flylog.info to get the .DAT converted to a .csv

I appreciate your speedy answer & I have read about "path variable" - which I understand the principal of...

but I am no clearer how I can get round this (& there must be a way)

I am looking to get this working offline (as online will not always be possible)

I know I sound hard work.... but im not a complete daft sod - I am only trying to bridge the gap between your very tech knowledge & the average person (& yes, I put myself between)

Is there any info about my windows OS I can give you to know if this "should" work??

Thank You

Thx

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ok.. I've just got a bit further...

If I am getting "Error: Unable to access jarfile C:\Windows\system32\DatConverter.exe"

.....should I create a "new" path variable? (As I have now located "path variables" on my windows 7 laptop

(where I have the opportunity to do the following "New" "Edit" "Delete")

I appreciate your speedy answer & I have read about "path variable" - which I understand the principal of...

but I am no clearer how I can get round this (& there must be a way)

I am looking to get this working offline (as online will not always be possible)

I know I sound hard work.... but im not a complete daft sod - I am only trying to bridge the gap between your very tech knowledge & the average person (& yes, I put myself between)

Is there any info about my windows OS I can give you to know if this "should" work??

Thank You
Actually, I'm one of the very fortunate few who have the problem where it won't work in C/Windows/System32. And, it was easy for me to put it somewhere else so I didn't look into it much.

You're looking for a place that your PATH variable already refers to. Type PATH to your Command Prompt and you'll see that info.

I'm sure you're quite capable. I appreciate your asking and trying to get it to go. I suspect there are others who just give up and move on.

The website will be around long after this installation wrinkle gets made better. You should use it if you need to.

Ok.. I've just got a bit further...

If I am getting "Error: Unable to access jarfile C:\Windows\system32\DatConverter.exe"

.....should I create a "new" path variable? (As I have now located "path variables" on my windows 7 laptop

(where I have the opportunity to do the following "New" "Edit" "Delete")
No, there is only one PATH. You should modify the PATH variable you have to add a new location. The PATH variable already has C/Windows/System32, DON'T MESS WITH THAT. Try putting the executable in a place already pointed to by the PATH

Last edited:
Actually, I'm one of the very fortunate few who have the problem where it won't work in C/Windows/System32. And, it was easy for me to put it somewhere else so I didn't look into it much.

You're looking for a place that your PATH variable already refers to. Type PATH to your Command Prompt and you'll see that info.

I'm sure you're quite capable. I appreciate your asking and trying to get it to go. I suspect there are others who just give up and move on.

The website will be around long after this installation wrinkle gets made better. You should use it if you need to.

*UPDATE* I have the dashware up & running with that FLY070.csv (I can start playing with this later!)...

Now to resolve my "PATH" situation !!

Thank You for explaining more.. I am about to look at this now

OK... so I have several places that my PATH variable refers to

I am going to move the executable around in the difference locations I have identified at the moment

Can I confirm what I should be inputting to command prompt to get this to work?

Should this work?

" DatConverter -f FLY070.DAT "

Ok....

Anyone help with this?

(I have moved the ececutible between each attemp)

Now see the last attempt....

Attachments

• FLY070CP.JPG
    FLY070CP.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 381
OK... so I have several places that my PATH variable refers to

I am going to move the executable around in the difference locations I have identified at the moment

Can I confirm what I should be inputting to command prompt to get this to work?

Should this work?

" DatConverter -f FLY070.DAT "
Depends on what the "current working directory" is.
DatConverter -f FLY070.DAT works if CWD contains FLY070.DAT
DatConverter -f FLYLOGS/FLY070.DAT for FLY070.DAT being in the FLYLOGS dir
DatConverter -f ../FLYLOGS/FLY070.DAT for up one level, then down into FLYLOGS dir

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31