P3A or Autel Robotics X-Star?

The X-Star is a nice bird..no cracks right. But no Litchi is enough to make me say buy the Phantom.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The X-Star is a nice bird..no cracks right. But no Litchi is enough to make me say buy the Phantom.

yep no litchi suppose to be able to due third part apps but not at this time

They are working on third party app similar to Litchi & Autopilot. Litchi was released early 2014, in the beginning it was buggy with all kinds of problems: Litchi app

The X-Star Premium is new drone in the market with a great customer service, and that is enough for me. I own both drones, I feel that I am gambling when it comes to buying a DJI product, I am always worried that if I have to contact service is going to take an act of congress for them to get back to me. I have peace of mind when it comes contacting Autel's customer service.

As far as distance goes, in a good day I have gotten 2.9 miles on the X-Star, oh, and no cracked shells. The build does not feel cheap.

The X-Star Premium is designed with an easily removable gimbal which only requires the push of a button on the side of the gimbal to slide it off. This feature will allow the camera to be easily upgraded as payload technologies advance.
Autel added an LCD display to the controller itself which provides critical flight telemetry data such as altitude, range, battery remaining (for both the remote and the AC), gimbal's tilt, AC's orientation, etc. This redundancy provides an increased margin of safety and allows the pilot the option to use the full screen of the external display to view video coming back from the drone at 720P. Let's say that the battery of your tablet or phone dies or that your flying app collapses while you are flying the drone, with X-Star Premium you have an actual LCD that tells you everything you need to know to bring your drone back home safely.

Reactions: flpholt
They are working on third party app similar to Litchi & Autopilot. Litchi was released early 2014, in the beginning it was buggy with all kinds of problems: Litchi app

The X-Star Premium is new drone in the market with a great customer service, and that is enough for me. I own both drones, I feel that I am gambling when it comes to buying a DJI product, I am always worried that if I have to contact service is going to take an act of congress for them to get back to me. I have peace of mind when it comes contacting Autel's customer service.

As far as distance goes, in a good day I have gotten 2.9 miles on the X-Star, oh, and no cracked shells. The build does not feel cheap.

The X-Star Premium is designed with an easily removable gimbal which only requires the push of a button on the side of the gimbal to slide it off. This feature will allow the camera to be easily upgraded as payload technologies advance.
Autel added an LCD display to the controller itself which provides critical flight telemetry data such as altitude, range, battery remaining (for both the remote and the AC), gimbal's tilt, AC's orientation, etc. This redundancy provides an increased margin of safety and allows the pilot the option to use the full screen of the external display to view video coming back from the drone at 720P. Let's say that the battery of your tablet or phone dies or that your flying app collapses while you are flying the drone, with X-Star Premium you have an actual LCD that tells you everything you need to know to bring your drone back home safely.
well said

To the OP, visit the Autel sister site - there's a thread started on what people would like to see added to the X-Star. It will give you an idea what it does better, same and not as well as DJI.

You supported my statement. Litchi is now incredible. I will not fly a bird that doesn't have it. Which is why I said that I would say buy the Phantom since Autel doesn't have it.

I don't like these versus threads because it makes you pit one AC against another. The question was posed so I am answering it. It is likely that you will have more of an issue getting repairs through DJI than with Autel. DJI has been in the business for 10 years and is the industry leader in sales. I am willing to bet that DJI's newly released Mavic has sold more in three days then the X-Star lineup entirely. What I am getting to is it is going to be harder to get support for the DJI product than Autel because DJI has sold 100X more units and I bet they don't have the service staff to support "Autel, Yuneec, 3DR" level service. You can argue that they should but they have their resources allocated differrently.

I don't think anyone said anything about distance. I do know this, lightbridge on my P3 is outstanding. I have flown to 3.5 miles. I myself don't care for the shell on the P3 but I have had it replaced at no cost to me and it took them 8 days to do it.

I would love to have a removable gimbal on my Phantom so that I could add or change camera's as they become available. However, how profitable is it to Autel to have a delivery system that is outdated 6 months after release. I will be surprised if they don't bring in a new system at the end of the year. They are almost forced to bring in a new system if they want to keep up. The modular design notion was also tried by 3DR.

To an inexperienced operator that might be a problem. I'll be honest I rarely look at the telemety other than height and distance during flight. As far as the tablet failing, disconnecting or battery dying. I guess having the telemetry is nice but... I don't need it anyway. I practice these situations all the time, in more than 200 flights I have have yet to be forced to fly without the tablet. I killed the app a number of times on purpose to practice the scenarios you mentioned. With lightbridge and DJI go I have to almost make the app disconnect or fly out 19,000 feet to make the RTH kick in. Everytime, no problems. So telemetry in the TX is a good feature but not a necessary one. Although I'm sure that will be standard on DJI platforms going forward as it is already incorporated into the Mavic.

If you are looking at wifi vs Lightbridge, it no contest ... Lightbridge is many times better than wifi.

Check the Advanced specs again, they go much further than you think.
Max Transmission Distance: Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when FCC compliant.​

Be careful with reviews. Are they true reviews or re they selling reviews.
Do they properly compare against what else is out there?
Is the reviewer experienced in what else is out there?

It would be hard to find a more reliable drone than the P3 Advanced
As for customer service, DJI's is better than the reputation it got earlier when the company grew faster than CS could keep up.
One last thing ... look at the camera.
I don't know about the X-star but the X-star premium has barrel distortion that will bow any straight line except one that passes through the centre.
Sorry, I have to take issue with this comment 'As for customer service, DJI's is better than the reputation it got earlier when the company grew faster than CS could keep up.' I have dealt extensively with them over the summer and it was the single worst customer service experience I've ever endured with anything....ever.

Sorry, I have to take issue with this comment 'As for customer service, DJI's is better than the reputation it got earlier when the company grew faster than CS could keep up.' I have dealt extensively with them over the summer and it was the single worst customer service experience I've ever endured with anything....ever.
That you had a bad experience doesn't make my comment invalid.
Sorry, I have no details of your interaction with them to know what the problem was but there are plenty of reports of users getting good, timely service nowdays.

That you had a bad experience doesn't make my comment invalid.
Sorry, I have no details of your interaction with them to know what the problem was but there are plenty of reports of users getting good, timely service nowdays.
While my comment alone does not, a simple internet search does. All you have to do is search for DJI customer service and you will find tons of horror stories that are continuing to this day. If you still aren't convinced you can then stroll over to BBB and see all the lovely reviews DJI has garnered there. They may have good tech but you'd have to be either an employee or not look for 1 minute to know their customer service is still earning the rep it had. I find it hard to believe my experience is an outlier.

Reactions: flpholt
While my comment alone does not, a simple internet search does. All you have to do is search for DJI customer service and you will find tons of horror stories that are continuing to this day. If you still aren't convinced you can then stroll over to BBB and see all the lovely reviews DJI has garnered there. They may have good tech but you'd have to be either an employee or not look for 1 minute to know their customer service is still earning the rep it had. I find it hard to believe my experience is an outlier.
And having had to use their service twice myself with good results as well as hearing many, many cases of good interactions with DJI service, I'm reluctant to believe that your bad experience is representative of everyone's.
Look on the internet or at the BBB and you'll find complaints for everything because that's where people with complaints go.
But if you have a genuine issue, this isn't the place to make a complaint.
This isn't DJI and they don't read this forum.

dji suing autel now what a joke

I have sent my bird in once. It has 300 miles on it for a hairline crack. The service was excellent.

I don't like these versus threads because it makes you pit one AC against another. The question was posed so I am answering it. It is likely that you will have more of an issue getting repairs through DJI than with Autel. DJI has been in the business for 10 years and is the industry leader in sales. I am willing to bet that DJI's newly released Mavic has sold more in three days then the X-Star lineup entirely. What I am getting to is it is going to be harder to get support for the DJI product than Autel because DJI has sold 100X more units and I bet they don't have the service staff to support "Autel, Yuneec, 3DR" level service. You can argue that they should but they have their resources allocated differrently.

DJI is the industry leader in sales and the leader in worst customer service ever. Wake up, read all of the horror stories in this forum regarding DJI's customer service and their deceptive practices. They are lying to customers who are in need to get warranty repairs, warranty is a consumer right when buying a product. A few members in this forum are requesting warranty protection the credit cards companies provide due to the lack of response from DJI. Take a few minutes of your time and read this thread:
Newest Member to the cracked shell club :(

Reactions: Jnnyr and flpholt
Let's get back on track here. Can anyone tell me what the maximum height above takeoff is? I have heard it's about a half mile, can this be confirmed? I fly in the mountains and staying within 400' of the mountain slope makes that FAA approved. This is why I haven't given up my p2's.

Let's get back on track here. Can anyone tell me what the maximum height above takeoff is? I have heard it's about a half mile, can this be confirmed? I fly in the mountains and staying within 400' of the mountain slope makes that FAA approved. This is why I haven't given up my p2's.
If you're asking about a P3, the full specs are available at www.dji.com.
Max height is 500 metres above launch point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers