P3A, HDMI Output Module for brodcasting?

• Thread starter Deleted member 52574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 52574

Hello all,

My high school has asked if I could be their eye in the sky during various live games and events (Off the field of course ;);)) as I have done ariel work for them before with my P3A. Doing live feeds, however, is a completely new endeavour. If I get the HDMI output module, and somehow figure out a reasonable way run that cable to their switchboard, is the quality up to snuff???

In other words, is the signal from the live HDMI out "good enough" (on P3A) that it's usable for high school sports broadcasting over the internet?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Well, depends on signal strength. If your downlink signal is strong, you should get a 720p livestream just like you get on your tablet/phone.

Well, depends on signal strength. If your downlink signal is strong, you should get a 720p livestream just like you get on your tablet/phone.

Signal strength shouldn't be a problem, will have LOS and flying no more than 200yds direct away. Hard to tell how good it'll look when its blow up on a real TV, that's why I'm asking :), thanks though.

Make sure you set the bitrate to max in the app, and it should look pretty good. It's still just 720p, so be OK with that. For internet broadcast it should be more than good enough.

How far one could run the HDMI output from the DJI controller unamplified is a good question. HDMI isn't great over distance generally speaking.

Make sure you set the bitrate to max in the app, and it should look pretty good. It's still just 720p, so be OK with that. For internet broadcast it should be more than good enough.

How far one could run the HDMI output from the DJI controller unamplified is a good question. HDMI isn't great over distance generally speaking.
Thanks! As long as is is reasonable then it would be great.

I agree, HDMI isn't going to be easy however we have a roof that the student cameramen work on. I can get up there with great LOS to the drone at all times around the stadium.Hopefully that'll work and long HDMI runs shouldn't be an issue ;)

I would think if they want you to do this for them that they would also allow you to set up a test link and put your questions to rest. Ask them, all they can say is no, or yes. Sounds like fun. I hope it works out for you.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
I'd be a little concerned with the downlink bitrate of your P3A. It's only 2Mbps max no matter what you set it for in the app. Even though it's 720p, I'm not sure how good that low of a bitrate will look when live games and events are "blown up on a real TV" as you said in post 3.

Reactions: JoBe
Hello all,

My high school has asked if I could be their eye in the sky during various live games and events (Off the field of course ;);)) as I have done ariel work for them before with my P3A. Doing live feeds, however, is a completely new endeavour. If I get the HDMI output module, and somehow figure out a reasonable way run that cable to their switchboard, is the quality up to snuff???

In other words, is the signal from the live HDMI out "good enough" (on P3A) that it's usable for high school sports broadcasting over the internet?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
How are you planning to broadcast HDMI over Internet? What equipment do you have for it?

I'd be a little concerned with the downlink bitrate of your P3A. It's only 2Mbps max no matter what you set it for in the app. Even though it's 720p, I'm not sure how good that low of a bitrate will look when live games and events are "blown up on a real TV" as you said in post 3.

There's only one way to find out. Don't you have all the stuff there already? There doesn't have to be a game going on to try it. Let us know what happens.

How are you planning to broadcast HDMI over Internet? What equipment do you have for it?

I'm guessing he's not trying to broadcast HDMI over the internet. The signal sources all pour into video channels to the video switcher. The switchers active channel is output to whatever format they decide based on what options they have in their hardware/software setup.

I may be wrong about assuming this. Maybe the only thing they are broadcasting is the drone feed. Could make for some long "official timeouts" during battery changes.

Thanks! As long as is is reasonable then it would be great.

I agree, HDMI isn't going to be easy however we have a roof that the student cameramen work on. I can get up there with great LOS to the drone at all times around the stadium.Hopefully that'll work and long HDMI runs shouldn't be an issue ;)

Long HDMI runs shouldn't be an issue?.. Uh.. this is an issue. HDMI has a limited cable length. If you are running distances then you need to convert to HD-SDI. There are some cheap convertors that can be had for $50, which would work for your case, since the Drone would most likely be used for some skyshots and filler material, and if it's out of sync a bit then it's not a big issues (delay will happen on the wireless down to the drone, then in conversation).

Really for these things, highschool broadcast on internet, I'm sure just using a few shots to give an interesting perspective that it should be fine. 720 is always 720, so you know what that looks like on a screen. You will lose detail and of course dark/night shots will look really grainy. Take a 720 file, compress it down to a 2MB/s format and then view it on the TV if you want to see what it looks like. What's your upstream bitrate for the livestream? if it doesn't exceed 2MB then there is nothing to worry about since it would be compressed lower anyways.

Reactions: Richard Gozinya
Long HDMI runs shouldn't be an issue?.. Uh.. this is an issue. HDMI has a limited cable length. If you are running distances then you need to convert to HD-SDI. There are some cheap convertors that can be had for $50, which would work for your case, since the Drone would most likely be used for some skyshots and filler material, and if it's out of sync a bit then it's not a big issues (delay will happen on the wireless down to the drone, then in conversation).

Really for these things, highschool broadcast on internet, I'm sure just using a few shots to give an interesting perspective that it should be fine. 720 is always 720, so you know what that looks like on a screen. You will lose detail and of course dark/night shots will look really grainy. Take a 720 file, compress it down to a 2MB/s format and then view it on the TV if you want to see what it looks like. What's your upstream bitrate for the livestream? if it doesn't exceed 2MB then there is nothing to worry about since it would be compressed lower anyways.

This is excellent information for you submitted by bryan_m. Forget about any advice I may have given you above and follow his advice/info. I've been involved in similar situations but not with the drone as one of the video sources. Sounds a little "over the top" for high school football. You in Texas?

There's only one way to find out. Don't you have all the stuff there already? There doesn't have to be a game going on to try it. Let us know what happens.
This is actually good advice. Dry run without distractions or pressure of a live event always makes things easier for the actually event. You can pick and set all your shots ahead of time as well.

I'm guessing he's not trying to broadcast HDMI over the internet. The signal sources all pour into video channels to the video switcher. The switchers active channel is output to whatever format they decide based on what options they have in their hardware/software setup.

I may be wrong about assuming this. Maybe the only thing they are broadcasting is the drone feed. Could make for some long "official timeouts" during battery changes.

Richard is right, I'm just one of the camera's they'll be using. They already broadcast using multiple cameras, I'll just be another input on the switchboard.

When I said long HDMI runs won't be an issue, I meant that we won't have to use ANY long HDMI runs at all, I'll be just a few feet away from the switchboard. Sorry for that confusion. If I ever want to be down on the field they have long SDI setups all ready for me complete with HDMI-SDI converter. I'm not sure what our current upstream bitrate is right now, but I'll let you know how it ends up looking in the tests. Thanks

This is excellent information for you submitted by bryan_m. Forget about any advice I may have given you above and follow his advice/info. I've been involved in similar situations but not with the drone as one of the video sources. Sounds a little "over the top" for high school football. You in Texas?

Not in Texas, Atlanta GA. My school is quite... let's say enthusiastic about their broadcasting, going for national high school broadcast awards and such (Yes, those exist :D). They have no problem paying for the $100 module and the $300 SDI converters that need to go with it even if it ends up not working, the budget is enormous.

Had the first test today, was broadcasting (Not on the internet) but to the projector in our auditorium during a pep rally. It was awesome! The picture was much better than I expected, VERY few hiccups and a pretty crisp image. Thank you all for your help!

why wouldnt you just live stream to youtube and let them grab that channel?
Why WOULD I do that when I can just give them the straight signal via HDMI?? Live streaming just introduces tons of compression, latency, and dependency on my internet connection. The HDMI solution is better in every way for broadcasting.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1