P3A - Getting Started

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Hoping there would be a sticky showing what I should keep in mind when unboxing Phantom 3 Advanced. I already bought spare battery, but what else should I aim to get? Also, should I update to the latest firmware? I'll start with DJI manual to understand how to fly in open space (park). Anything else I can read that would help me?

Regards,
S

Hello everyone,

Hoping there would be a sticky showing what I should keep in mind when unboxing Phantom 3 Advanced. I already bought spare battery, but what else should I aim to get? Also, should I update to the latest firmware? I'll start with DJI manual to understand how to fly in open space (park). Anything else I can read that would help me?

Regards,
S
Congrats on the purchase of the P3A! msinger Phantom Help website DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Helpis a great place to start. But my advice, reiterated by many on this great forum is to read, read, read and then RTFM again before you even think about taking to the sky. Oh yes, get a backpack too!

Thanks Numone. Do you think I should get a cheaper drone like Syma x5 and practice on it first?

This is probably the best cheap drone to start with. I started with it last December and just bought a P3A last month. If you can fly this one you can fly anything.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    230 KB · Views: 329
should I update to the latest firmware?
See what you have first and then ask again. You can use whatever version you have and you don't need to update unless you want to do so. One exception is if you have 1.5 on the Phantom. If you do, I would suggest that you move from that version since it's known to be unstable.

Anything else that would help me?
One thing that is often overlooked is removing the small piece of foam at the top of your gimbal. Many have not seen it and then wondered why they have jittery video.

All good suggestions from everyone. I personally wish I would have put the money I spent on little drones toward the P3.
It really is controlled flight at its best. FPV is great, but you have to keep a constant eye on where you are. I once backed the drone into a tree while watching the screen. And be careful landing so it doesn't tip and wreck something. Remember, if you are confused or fear a crash, just take your fingers off the sticks and it will faithfully hover for you. Can't beat that!

Oh yeah I forgot to say do not use the CSC to stop the motors once you've landed since it is known to cause flip overs. Stop the motors using your left stick down for 3 seconds. Also, before you ask full left stick down will not stop your motors when you are in the air.

Oh yeah I forgot to say do not use the CSC to stop the motors once you've landed since it is known to cause flip overs. Stop the motors using your left stick down for 3 seconds. Also, before you ask full left stick down will not stop your motors when you are in the air.
Definitely - commit that to memory!

Go to DJI site and view all the videos multiple times. You will get a chance to learn tips for a safe flying.

Some of the accessories that you should buy:

Mobile device iOS or android
Extra batteries
ND Filters
Gimbal support
Backpack
64GB micro SD card
Du-Bro prop balancer
DJI neckstrap

Last edited:
See what you have first and then ask again. You can use whatever version you have and you don't need to update unless you want to do so. One exception is if you have 1.5 on the Phantom. If you do, I would suggest that you move from that version since it's known to be unstable.

One thing that is often overlooked is removing the small piece of foam at the top of your gimbal. Many have not seen it and then wondered why they have jittery video.
I'm updating mine from 1.5 this weekend. I'm hearing this alot. Could u tell me please what is unstable about it? I haven't had any issues besides weak transmission signal once in a while. And that was over water 300ft high sometimes 8000 ft away . I'm wondering if that was one of issues . My antennas always pointed in the right direction /no obstruction

Hello everyone,

Regards,
S
Hard shell backpack for sure, I love it!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm updating mine from 1.5 this weekend. I'm hearing this alot. Could u tell me please what is unstable about it? I haven't had any issues besides weak transmission signal once in a while. And that was over water 300ft high sometimes 8000 ft away . I'm wondering if that was one of issues . My antennas always pointed in the right direction /no obstruction
I could tell you yes, but I think this post from @John Locke explains it very well and better than I could:
80 to 90% battery level takeoff is triggering outrage

Reactions: meissner58
All good suggestions from everyone. I personally wish I would have put the money I spent on little drones toward the P3.
It really is controlled flight at its best. FPV is great, but you have to keep a constant eye on where you are. I once backed the drone into a tree while watching the screen. And be careful landing so it doesn't tip and wreck something. Remember, if you are confused or fear a crash, just take your fingers off the sticks and it will faithfully hover for you. Can't beat that!
I crashed and almost lost it lots of times. That is why I said if you can fly it you could fly anything with confidence. It was a learning curve but I did manage to master it, but don't fly it in the wind.

Thanks Numone. Do you think I should get a cheaper drone like Syma x5 and practice on it first?
Well, that's what I did. It was getting an X5 that made me want to get the Phantom! I'm not saying that's the way to go, but it was such a help to gain orientation experience which, personally, I found the most difficult skill to gain. I also have a Hubsan Q4 which is great to use indoors. CSC is a scary thought, so I got one of these from msinger.. CSC Safety - Phantom Help
One of the best investments I've made.

Well, that's what I did. It was getting an X5 that made me want to get the Phantom! I'm not saying that's the way to go, but it was such a help to gain orientation experience which, personally, I found the most difficult skill to gain. I also have a Hubsan Q4 which is great to use indoors. CSC is a scary thought, so I got one of these from msinger.. CSC Safety - Phantom Help
One of the best investments I've made.

post 10 above says that CSC doesn't work mid-Air. Where can I find more about CSC?

post 10 above says that CSC doesn't work mid-Air. Where can I find more about CSC?
Download the latest manual from DJI and watch their YouTube tutorials.

CSC works anywhere. Don't use it to stop your motors because it will tip your drone over if it's on the ground or bring it crashing down if it's in the air. Use CSC to start the motors only and the throttle lever to to stop.
No more questions until you've read the manual and and watched the tutorials.

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase!

I watched a ton of vids and tried the simulator for 3 minutes, then decided to bring it to an empty football field and practice there.

Extras I got:

DJI Strap
2 extra batts
DJI Hardshell Backpack (this is great, trust me)
A tablet (I got a used Nexus 7) (Was using my phone, a Nexus 6P and a little too small for my liking)
Sunshade for my tablet
32GB Memory card, a good fast one also Lexar 1000X (64GB not a bad idea, although I haven't filled it up yet)

As I get more cash I'll get more stuff...

Follow the laws you may have in your country, enjoy and make sure to READ and WATCH the vids. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic