P3a Frequently "Disconnected" + Lag

Reaction score
Does anyone please have suggestions for remedy to the following: Frequent disconnects between app and phantom - including while on ground or plywood landing pad and especially while flying no matter what location, using primarily an iPhone 6+ running iOS 8.4 with P3a firmware 1.2.8 and latest iOS pilot app 1.2. I have tried 2 different devices (iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6), 2 different OEM lightning/USB cables, and one Anker shorty cable, tried both straight up and angled antenna angles, performed IMU calibration, gimbal calibration, relinked controller and phantom, disabled video cache, lowered transmission stream rate, attempted various custom channel selections - and nothing improves it. Out of the box, this unit worked, then within days after updating pilot app and firmware to 1.1.9, it began having the disconnect troubles/message, at one point I thought changing the cable helped and had perhaps a couple flights without the disconnect issue. The disconnects got worse after firmware upgrade to 1.2.8 and every time I fly, it frequently disconnects.

Additionally, I got a "gimbal overload" message a couple days ago (which went away after turning everything off then back on) and ever since then it has lag between an action and the image streamed. In other words if I adjust gimbal height, yaw or any aircraft/camera movements, it is a couple seconds before I actually see on the device – the image the camera sees. The feed is no longer live.

Realizing these may be two separate issues and my quad copter may be all screwed up and need a looksee by DJI, and realizing I don't love the idea of sending it off for six weeks since it flies fine otherwise, it would be nice if this was fixable within adjustment to the settings, firmware or app. Talking with DJI yesterday, the rep suggested loading older firmware 1.9.1 then upgrade back to 1.2.8 (which could reset things) and vaguely said the instructions were the same but he didn't know if it would work. So when I got off the phone and put an earlier version of firmware on P3a's micro sd, it would not take it and sat there for quite a while doing a double beep instead of the four beeps indicating if it was installing properly. Looks like I'm stuck with 1.2.8 for now unless someone has a suggestion how to backtrack.

I welcome help with either/both of these troubles and even - "what would you do ?" - between; living with it and waiting for the next firmware or app upgrade/update, send it to DJI for repair knowing that will potentially take around six weeks.

The rub is, this was going on within 30 days after I bought it and I probably could've exchanged it but so many people warned me that things would be flaky for the first few months after a product release I thought it was normal till I recently talked to a friend who said he never has the disconnect issue. Are there many other folks having this/these kind of troubles?

In my opinion you might be stuck with these issues until DJI updates a new firmware . It really sounds like you are one of many that have seen problems shortly after upgrade to the new firmware.

then within days after updating pilot app and firmware to 1.1.9, it began having the disconnect troubles/message,
I thought it was normal till I recently talked to a friend who said he never has the disconnect issue. Are there many other folks having this/these kind of troubles?
The fact that the firmware update was days before the problem occurred probably means that they are unrelated. What firmware is your friend running?

If he is running the same firmware as you would he be willing to let you try using his controller? You'd have to rebind to the bird.

You could also try using his tablet/app on your controller. Not sure, but I think you don't have to be running the same firmware for this test.

These tests could help you determine if the problem lies in the bird, the controller, the app, or the tablet.

Last edited:
Thank you for the creative idea. My friend is on the same firmware version but unfortunately is on the other side of the country. If I find someone closer, I really like your idea.

Just to be clear. Are you seeing the grey Disconnected indicator or the red No Signal indicator? Disconnected refers to the app/controller link and No Signal refers to the controller/phantom link.

Does anyone please have suggestions for remedy to the following: Frequent disconnects between app and phantom - including while on ground or plywood landing pad and especially while flying no matter what location, using primarily an iPhone 6+ running iOS 8.4 with P3a firmware 1.2.8 and latest iOS pilot app 1.2. I have tried 2 different devices (iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6), 2 different OEM lightning/USB cables, and one Anker shorty cable, tried both straight up and angled antenna angles, performed IMU calibration, gimbal calibration, relinked controller and phantom, disabled video cache, lowered transmission stream rate, attempted various custom channel selections - and nothing improves it. Out of the box, this unit worked, then within days after updating pilot app and firmware to 1.1.9, it began having the disconnect troubles/message, at one point I thought changing the cable helped and had perhaps a couple flights without the disconnect issue. The disconnects got worse after firmware upgrade to 1.2.8 and every time I fly, it frequently disconnects.

Additionally, I got a "gimbal overload" message a couple days ago (which went away after turning everything off then back on) and ever since then it has lag between an action and the image streamed. In other words if I adjust gimbal height, yaw or any aircraft/camera movements, it is a couple seconds before I actually see on the device – the image the camera sees. The feed is no longer live.

Realizing these may be two separate issues and my quad copter may be all screwed up and need a looksee by DJI, and realizing I don't love the idea of sending it off for six weeks since it flies fine otherwise, it would be nice if this was fixable within adjustment to the settings, firmware or app. Talking with DJI yesterday, the rep suggested loading older firmware 1.9.1 then upgrade back to 1.2.8 (which could reset things) and vaguely said the instructions were the same but he didn't know if it would work. So when I got off the phone and put an earlier version of firmware on P3a's micro sd, it would not take it and sat there for quite a while doing a double beep instead of the four beeps indicating if it was installing properly. Looks like I'm stuck with 1.2.8 for now unless someone has a suggestion how to backtrack.

I welcome help with either/both of these troubles and even - "what would you do ?" - between; living with it and waiting for the next firmware or app upgrade/update, send it to DJI for repair knowing that will potentially take around six weeks.

The rub is, this was going on within 30 days after I bought it and I probably could've exchanged it but so many people warned me that things would be flaky for the first few months after a product release I thought it was normal till I recently talked to a friend who said he never has the disconnect issue. Are there many other folks having this/these kind of troubles?

I think the video issue may be related to the new 1.20 version of the app instead of the firmware of the drone (which probably cause instability). There seems to be a bug where the gimbal does not initialise properly... and no signal is sent to ipad app...??? Try to point the drone down and around.... so that the gimbal 'resets itself'. This seems to restore the video somewhat at times. Also, make sure hardware is enabled. This improved the video throughput somewhat. The gimbal resetting itself seems to be very related to the no video feed / no signal error. As far as the gimbal overload... this seems to be improved (though not totally done away with) if you totally remove the app and reinstall it fresh. I have version 1.1.9 of the DRONE firmware and this seems to make the drone fairly stable. The issue with the video seems to be the app. DJI NEEDS TO REMOVE THE BLOATWARE VIDEO EDITING FUNCTIONALITY... and give us an app that works... like in the earlier versions of the app. I don't care to have background video editing. JUST GIVE US AN APP THAT FLIES AND RECORDS.

To BudWalker, I have had both the gray disconnected center banner and the red no signal. sometimes they alternate,then display video for a short while then disconnect again.

To Steve 101 any idea how to downgrade my firmware from 1.2.8 to 1.9.1? I very much appreciate all the suggestions so far. Thank you

Try an Android device.

Thanks, will do. I've got a low-end generic 10 inch running ice cream sandwich that has a super dim display, not even sure is capable, but it might at least let me know if it can stay connected on a different platform.

Hello Phantom Friends, B&H was selling used p3a's for $759 this week, so I got one of those, will send my defective one off to DJI and likely sell one of them when the repaired one comes back. There definitely is something wrong with my first p3a. The new one does not have any disconnect issues using the same; firmware1.2.8, app1.2.0, device-ip6+, and cables. What a pleasant experience this has become. No longer fearful it will lose connection at the blink of an eye. Can't believe how long I put up with it, assuming it was just a flaky new product/software. Hopefully most of you don't have the frequent disconnect problems, but if you do - send the little bugger back for exchange or repair as soon as you noticed this!

Hello Phantom Friends, B&H was selling used p3a's for $759 this week, so I got one of those, will send my defective one off to DJI and likely sell one of them when the repaired one comes back. There definitely is something wrong with my first p3a. The new one does not have any disconnect issues using the same; firmware1.2.8, app1.2.0, device-ip6+, and cables. What a pleasant experience this has become. No longer fearful it will lose connection at the blink of an eye. Can't believe how long I put up with it, assuming it was just a flaky new product/software. Hopefully most of you don't have the frequent disconnect problems, but if you do - send the little bugger back for exchange or repair as soon as you noticed this!
Mine will disconnect if the IOS gets too hot or signal is lost on the light bridge-- so all disconnects are not related to firmware--- it fly without issue 98% of the time.:) Good to hear that you got it sorted out!;)

8/2/15 This is an update for any who followed this thread. The second used P3a, (mentioned above which I thought was working) is proving to be flaky as well. Often when I turn it on, it is "Disconnected". Then after several restarts it sometimes works. But this one is not as stable flying as the first one. So I tried the downgrade firmware procedure on the first P3a with no luck. Right now I have two P3a's that don't properly work (gonna try fw downgrade on 2nd one now). I got the first P3a about 60 days ago, so I called B&H asking if they might bend the 30 day return policy the rep said the manufacturer (DJI) doesn't allow dealers to do returns after 30 days forcing warranty instead (sending to DJI, who won't even return 2 emails requesting return procedure, from their own over the phone instruction to reply to an email they sent me). I still have a couple weeks to return the second P3a but at least it occasionally works and I'm hopeful for new firmware to fix em both, then sell one or return second if the firmware comes out in time. Interestingly the rep from B&H mentioned the first batch of Phantoms had lots of flakiness issues and I likely would have done better waiting till it was out a month or so before getting one.

Has anyone else had - then fixed frequent "Disconnected" issues (what worked?), besides with cable swapping, which I've tried 3 different ones. (thanks for suggestion, btw)

I'm understanding from your posts that the iPhone6+ has been present in every configuration where you've had the problem. I.e. you've tried a different P3A, different controller, different firmware, and different cables. Is this right?

Even trying three different cables, I also tried it with my wife's iPhone 6 (non+) and had the same challenges with frequent disconnected troubles.. Today I tried an old android and it limped along but probably isn't up to the task. But thanks to some folks posting about how to downgrade the firmware, after about 8 tries, I was able to downgrade my firmware. First to 1.1.9, still had lag and disconnects, then to 1.1.8 and everything seems to be working now except have a tilted horizon. We'll see, tomorrow who knows how it will behave.

Just a guess, things somehow got corrupt on mine, but fortunately after several tries of using the DJI .bin service file, that resets the DJI firmware back to the first version, enough times, that action maybe jiggled it's brain to the point where it would accept the downgrade to the older firmware. I'm sticking with 1.1.8 for now, but plenty of people on the 1.1.9 version are having good luck as are a huge number of people with the current version. Things got flaky with mine and I hope to be mostly out of the woods now and not have to send it to DJI for repair.

If anyone is interested, this phantom pilots forum thread has the links to the files you will need if you find yourself wanting to try to downgrade your firmware:
http://www.phantompilots.com/index.php?threads/Ahhh,-welcome-back-F-W-1.1.9.49438/

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31