P3A Floats

If you want floats for the sole purpose of keeping it afloat if it falls out of the sky (i.e. Not for taking off and landing on the water), I suggest you guys try a different design approach.

I would install these brackets that were designed to hold external batteries for the the Long Range guys (they are inserted between the shell and the landing gear EXTERNAL BATTERY BRACKET....INCLUDES 2-3 DAYS SHIPPING

Then cut a pool noodle to size and strap them to the bottom of the brackets on both sides.
bd049122d4b8f7e484b968114dc7c72d.jpg

This would keep the added weight close to the birds COG, reduce drag and solve the issue of having the floats show up in your videos/pictures.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

would it effect the laminar flow or pressure coefficient being in the airstream of the blades? Probably not. I did think about putting on the retractable legs with the extended legs. this would achieve what you are speaking of and keep them out of the prop wash. Probably look cool and if you want to try a water landing you can retract the legs. Just a thought

I may do 18 days on the Grand Canyon in September
Based on experience, I would recommend to not fully disclose where you are gonna be flying at because here on this forum we have many "drone police" individuals who will frown and oppose you to fly almost anywhere, if it was up to me, fly everywhere except for airports, just my 2 cents

Actually I have built a few of my own. I fly over fast moving water a lot and just simple floats are not enough. Any float with enough volume to keep the Phantom on the surface, will act like a sail in the wind and likely show up in the video. If you crash in the water, she is just as likely to land buttered side down. I have tried a bunch of different floats, none very successful. Ended up installing some Phantom guts in a waterproof, floating shell which works much better.
I'm very interested in your waterproof shell with Phantom guts. Do you have a thread on it?

That's very cool. Thanks for sharing the design and subsequent sucessful trial flights.
I have only read page one of the linked thread.

RedHotPoker

That's very cool. Thanks for sharing the design and subsequent sucessful trial flights.
I have only read page one of the linked thread.

RedHotPoker
I have made several mods recently which are not posted there. I have a 3 axis gimbal and bigger motors on one.

Pretty sweet stuff, none the less. I am often amazed and pleasantly surprised in the depth some of you go, for your passions and creativity, producing your own models. It really is a lifestyle, & way beyond an average hobby interest. ;-)
Several guys here/there on the RC forums, with their own quality built 3D printers are having a lot of fun in the hobby-business too.
Another area that pleases me no end. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Well I got a chance to fly this past weekend with the floats on over water. Second part of the video is using autopilot. First time so it's ok. Lots to learn though hopefully the thing lasts and doesn't crash on me

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers