P3A arriving today...suggestions??

Reaction score
My P3A should be at my house when I get home today. This is my second DJI quad (FC40).
I have been reading the manual and watching youtube vids and scouring this site and think I have a game plan.
I've decided to use it as is for a while...meaning no firmware upgrades right off the bat.
So my plan is:
Charge batteries.
Hook up my tablet to the DJI Go app and get familiar with it.
Calibrate and change any settings in the app (turn off beginner mode)
Do the compass dance.

Fly?!?

Anything else?

At the least:
  • Calibrate the IMU
  • Calibrate the remote controller
  • Calibrate the compass
If you want to update the firmware, then follow these instructions. If you're interested in exploring some tips and other P3A-related info, then check out PhantomHelp.com.

you have to due a imu calibration first before you fly

Ooops...looking at the link msinger posted reminds me of one other thing...FAA registration.
Guess I should do that tonight.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
Don't be so worried about FW updates. Don't believe everything you read on internet forums. I updates my P3A by the book and encountered no issues whatsoever. It flies like a dream with the latest software.

Trust the technology (GPS) but also learn to fly without it (in Atti mode) later.

Also, avoid flying low - go to at least 150 feet and learn to fly there. You will have a better chance avoiding trees and stuff.

Finally, enjoy!

//Tom

Reactions: elwoodmike
don't be afraid to let it fly until you lose signal that way you will learn and fell great how it returns to home but make sure you set rth high enough so you don't hit anything I have mine at 70 meters

Reactions: Phantom-Four
My P3A should be at my house when I get home today. This is my second DJI quad (FC40).
I have been reading the manual and watching youtube vids and scouring this site and think I have a game plan.
I've decided to use it as is for a while...meaning no firmware upgrades right off the bat.
So my plan is:
Charge batteries.
Do the compass dance.

Fly?!?

Anything else?
Why no firmware updates?

Be sure to remove the block of foam from the camera. There wasn't one on my Standard so I didn't look for or see it on my Pro.

So my plan is:
Charge batteries.
Do the compass dance.

Fly?!?

Anything else?
Congrats on your P3A.

About the videos - keep in mind that some things have changed over time, so many of the early videos are now outdated in a few areas.

I think you made a good decision about not updating firmware right away. I am always an advocate of making sure that everything works fine first before introducing additional variables that may be hard to diagnose if a problem does arise. One thing however, if you have 1.5 on your AC you should probably move away from that version sooner than later.

Happy flying sir. Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the posts!
I just opened the box and the controller is completely dead, so first things first I put the charger on it and am charging one of my batteries also.

Ugh....cant wait for this weekend now!!!

yes

Quick question...does the charger get very hot while charging?
Mine seems pretty darn hot....

The manual says not to charge the RC and the Phantom at the same time. Others here say it's fine??

Never take off or land in sand, dirt, debris. This could contribute to a motor unstruction in mid air.

Learn to manually land and hand catch (look up video on hand catching)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Get a tracking device. Trackimo is best choice.
2016-02-26 15.13.25.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj