P3 went spinning out of control and crashed!

Reaction score
I calibrated the compass of the P3 in the middle of my yard and check all settings which took around 3 minuets. I hovered the P3 for around 20 seconds and then took it up to around 170 feet and then almost immediately it started behaving crazy. So I decided to take it down and it got worse, eventually hitting a tree on the way down......I put the flight log in healthydrones.com and it shows something is up with the battery when I got to 173 feet. Can someone decipher this for me?

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Last edited:
The battery is fine, the issue appears to be the compass went wacky 29 seconds into the flight (click on the Sensor Tab and then the Compass Tab). Did you calibrate the compass before take-off? Was there any large metal objects around (like the car?)

Please post the TXT file you uploaded to Healthy Drones. Also, tell us more about what "it started behaving crazy" means. And, why exactly do you think it hit the tree on the way down?

No not the battery. Some deviation in the cells is normal. I'd watch that but not the problem this time. Look at the compass section. You either had interference and it went nuts. Had a bad compass calibration. Normal range is 1400 to 1600 under compass in the sensor section of the app. When did you last calibrate the compass? and if recently was there any metal structures around? Anything that could have messed with it?

The battery is fine, the issue appears to be the compass went wacky 29 seconds into the flight (click on the Sensor Tab and then the Compass Tab). Did you calibrate the compass before take-off? Was there any large metal objects around (like the car?)
Apparently
we were typing the almost same reply at the same time Moose lol!

Yes, I calibrated in my yard prior to my flight like have done 50 times prior. What I mean by crazy is it started swirling from side to side. I started bring it down and about 60 feet it started coming down on its side and hit some tree branches on its way down.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-01-05_[17-33-04].txt
    42.8 KB · Views: 459
Yes, I calibrated in my yard prior to my flight like have done 50 times prior. What I mean by crazy is it started swirling from side to side. I started bring it down and about 60 feet it started coming down on its side and hit some tree branches on its way down.
Any idea what the compass values were before take off?

Could it be the motors? Or props? I'm not sure a crazy compass would throw off the P3 like that. It certainly can make it fly away, mess up RTH or screw up any movement that demands correct orientation. I'm taking from copters and planes which usually go crazy like that (jerkiness or unstable flying) due to some problem in the motors, rotors or props (or other flying control systems like screwed servos, stuck ailerons or rudders, elevators, etc.). Just wondering...

Propulsion's output is limited to ensure the safety of the battery. And what's with this Warning in the Notifications Section of Healthy Drones?

view
The last time I flew it kinda dipped when I went to hand grab it. I was flying it in high winds so dismissed it as that....

I warmed up the P3 for a few seconds and then took it up to around 170 feet and then almost immediately it started behaving crazy. So I decided to take it down and it got worse, eventually hitting a tree on the way down......I put the flight log in healthydrones.com and it shows something is up with the battery when I got to 173 feet. Can someone decipher this for me?

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

There sure are a lot of mode changes under Notificationsome at healthydrones.com?

Reactions: CFoxtrot
If you would provide the .DAT file a lot more could be determined about the cause of the crash. The .DAT is on the P3 itself, not the tablet. The .DAT has the compass data (X,Y,Z, Mod) from battery on to battery off. It also motor speed data (commanded, actual, and load) which can be used to determine if there were any propulsion issues.

From your description it seems a lot like a flight I analyzed where it was determined that the left back prop broke in flight. Without the .DAT that couldn't have been determined because the other 3 props broke on impact. I agree with @AlexSP above. If the compass had a problem the P3 will switch to ATTI mode and would start drifting away. From your description it didn't just drift away.

Can you Dropbox the .DAT? If not there are other ways to post it.

To get the .DAT file
  1. Go to the DJI GO App and connect to the P3
  2. MC Settings -->
    select Advanced Settings Advanced Settings --> Enter flight data
    mode
  3. wait until you get a dialog telling you that the quad is
    in flight data mode.
  4. Connect a USB cable from the USB plug in the nose of the Phantom3 to your computer. This is not the USB connector on the side of the camera. Your Phantom 3 should have come with the required USB cable
  5. The data drive should mount and be available.
  6. Use the date on the FLYXXX.DAT files to pick the one you want and copy it to your computer

If you would provide the .DAT file a lot more could be determined about the cause of the crash. The .DAT is on the P3 itself, not the tablet. The .DAT has the compass data (X,Y,Z, Mod) from battery on to battery off. It also motor speed data (commanded, actual, and load) which can be used to determine if there were any propulsion issues.

From your description it seems a lot like a flight I analyzed where it was determined that the left back prop broke in flight. Without the .DAT that couldn't have been determined because the other 3 props broke on impact. I agree with @AlexSP above. If the compass had a problem the P3 will switch to ATTI mode and would start drifting away. From your description it didn't just drift away.

Can you Dropbox the .DAT? If not there are other ways to post it.

To get the .DAT file
  1. Go to the DJI GO App and connect to the P3
  2. MC Settings -->
    select Advanced Settings Advanced Settings --> Enter flight data
    mode
  3. wait until you get a dialog telling you that the quad is
    in flight data mode.
  4. Connect a USB cable from the USB plug in the nose of the Phantom3 to your computer. This is not the USB connector on the side of the camera. Your Phantom 3 should have come with the required USB cable
  5. The data drive should mount and be available.
  6. Use the date on the FLYXXX.DAT files to pick the one you want and copy it to your computer

Here is the line to the dat files. Let me know if you can get to my google drive.
Redirecting...

Propulsion's output is limited to ensure the safety of the battery. And what's with this Warning in the Notifications Section of Healthy Drones?
Looks like another case of saving the battery by killing the drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31