P3 vs. P4 connectivity

Reaction score
Hi.

I have some problems with the connectivity on my P3. The video feed is not that stable, only in optimal enviroments where there are no buildings and alike. And when contolling the drone from a car, the video feed is very likely to disconnect, especially when the drone is behind the car, and the antennas are pointing out in the front of the car. Which I guess is quite fair.
So my question is, would this issue be improved significantly if I upgrade to a Phantom 4?

Thanks! :)

So my question is, would this issue be improved significantly if I upgrade to a Phantom 4?
If you are using a P3 Standard (wifi), the Lightbridge connection on the P4 is 10x better.
But if you aren't orienting the antennas properly towards the Phantom or don't have a clear, unobstructed line of sight, that can affect performance of any drone.

Reactions: Pharm
@Meta4
Thanks for your answer
Alright. So based on my annoyances with the P3 connectivity, a P4 would be a good investment I guess.

dont expect to have good connection if you are pointing your rc north and your uav is heading south behind you.

dont expect to have good connection if you are pointing your rc north and your uav is heading south behind you.
No the idea is simply to, among other things of course, to control the drone behind the car, but still following the car. Not that they should go in the opposite direction

It all depends of course, on whether or not there's a straight line of sight between the antenna(s) and the bird. The metal car roof will do an excellent job of blocking the signal if it is between the antenna(s) and the AC (Oh, the RTH nightmares I can envision on loss of signal!). If you're sitting up front (especially piinting the RC TOWARD the front), then the roof will obviously block the signal. In that case, you may encounter the same problem with a P4.

...But if you aren't orienting the antennas properly towards the Phantom or don't have a clear, unobstructed line of sight, that can affect performance of any drone.

This is the crux of the issue. Lightbridge notwithstanding, a P4 will likely fare no better than the P3S if there's an obstructed line of sight.

Thanks alot for your thoughts about this. I understand what you're saying.
I've tried the track feature with lichi on the P3, which was quite poor. I'll try out the track feature on the P4, and based on that result I will determine if I should buy it or stick with the P3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers