P3 v P2V+

Reaction score
As someone who bought the P2V+ last month on special offer, I was keeping an eye on yesterday's announcement with some interest.

Due to the low price of the P3, if I were to buy one now, I'd get a P3 rather than a P2, but I don't think I'm missing out on much:

* Better GPS / hovering accuracy / indoor flight.

Haven't had any issues with GPS accuracy and indoor flight isn't something I have any need for

* Improved camera

I'm perhaps in the minority that thinks the P2V+ camera is pretty good. If I were a professional do doubt I'd expect more, but again, it's not a problem for me.

* Better FPV

The biggest problem I have with FPV isn't the resolution, it's seeing the screen outdoors!

* Improved range

I can't really see the drone much beyond 500m, so I'd be nervous flying 2000m away (and it would technically be illegal here in the UK).

* The App

Now, for me this is potentially the issue. Third party developers have access to the DJI SDK to add features such as 'follow me' on both the P2 and P3. However, will they now abandon the P2 in favour of the P3? Is it difficult to make an app that works on both?

What are everyone's thoughts?

I have been waiting to decide on which to get, I had seen the app for the Phantom 2 with follow me in beta and various other extra features. Was looking to get the Phanton 2 with gimbal and add the fpv setup later, I already own a Hero 4 Black. Now I am thinking I should just opt for the Phantom 3, just the integrated camera/gimbal that puts me off, expensive breakage though in the same position as the P2V+.

If the P3 gets more sats, I'm wondering if (1) it is just using a better GPS antenna and (2) if that antenna can eventually be purchased as a part and just swapped into the P2V+.

If the P3 gets more sats, I'm wondering if (1) it is just using a better GPS antenna and (2) if that antenna can eventually be purchased as a part and just swapped into the P2V+.
It's using a different GPS receiver that handles both US GPS + Russian Glonass sats.
It's not going to be suitable for the P2V+

As someone who bought the P2V+ last month on special offer, I was keeping an eye on yesterday's announcement with some interest.

Due to the low price of the P3, if I were to buy one now, I'd get a P3 rather than a P2, but I don't think I'm missing out on much:

* Better GPS / hovering accuracy / indoor flight.

Haven't had any issues with GPS accuracy and indoor flight isn't something I have any need for

* Improved camera

I'm perhaps in the minority that thinks the P2V+ camera is pretty good. If I were a professional do doubt I'd expect more, but again, it's not a problem for me.

* Better FPV

The biggest problem I have with FPV isn't the resolution, it's seeing the screen outdoors!

* Improved range

I can't really see the drone much beyond 500m, so I'd be nervous flying 2000m away (and it would technically be illegal here in the UK).

* The App

Now, for me this is potentially the issue. Third party developers have access to the DJI SDK to add features such as 'follow me' on both the P2 and P3. However, will they now abandon the P2 in favour of the P3? Is it difficult to make an app that works on both?

What are everyone's thoughts?

Agree in all the points! I also purchased P2V+V3 a month ago (having lost P2V+ in a flyaway, luckily insurance covered it fully). P3 is fancy, must admit it. Anyway, being among first ones purchasing it might have some disadvantages.

Based on DJI's track record, the P3 is bound to have its own set of mechanical and electronic issues come to light. I couldn't help but chuckle when the FPV froze up on the operator shortly after launch a couple of times during the unveiling presentation.

I also just got a P2V+. I am very happy so far. I am wondering why the P3 of $999 is cheaper. I bought P2V+ V3 bcs I did not want to be a beta tester. I think if I bought a P3 now, I would go thru all the pains the early adopters of P2 went thru...anyway, I do not know if I made a good purchase or not...would like to hear more opinions

My thought on the P3 is that since it's a P2V+/Inspire hybrid, the kinks will be worked out since they know where they went wrong on both platforms by now. I have a P2V+ now and bought a P3A yesterday figuring I'd fly the P3 and figure out whether it is better (ie not buggy, etc) and sell one or the other.... or just keep both if I can't decide :) But if you're enjoying your P2V+ then don't lose sleep over it. The P3 price isn't going to go up, and you're right, you can sit back and laugh at me and others once the flyaways start ;)

I also just got a P2V+. I am very happy so far. I am wondering why the P3 of $999 is cheaper. I bought P2V+ V3 bcs I did not want to be a beta tester. I think if I bought a P3 now, I would go thru all the pains the early adopters of P2 went thru...anyway, I do not know if I made a good purchase or not...would like to hear more opinions

Very good points.

The thing I like most about the P3 is the 1.5 mile range. I'd like to be able to take the Phantom out in the middle of nowhere and fly FPV further than 500m. I also like the app the P3 uses but it's not a big deal. Everything else I could live without. More sat locks? I get 9-11 now and my Vision is rock solid. Bigger battery? But flight time is less. Better camera? 4k is not a big deal at this time. In another year or two it will be but there would probably be more drone choices then. Sonics? I don't fly indoors and I doubt many people do. Automatic landing and take off? Well, the prior drones pretty much do this anyway (yes, I need to press a stick up to launch).

If I were buying a new Phantom I'd _certainly_ go with the P3! However, I'm not so sure I really need to buy the P3 while I own a perfectly good Vision.

I agree, Lightbridge is a great addition! It eliminates the 5.8 gHz control circuits and was one of the things that made me originally consider the Inspire. I've got my brand new +v3 boxed but can't seem to drive it up to the UPS store....think I'll think about it a few more days....

dude, take it right back out. P3's wont ship for a few weeks and you need something to fly in the meantime!

Lightbridge is what pushed me over the edge.
I have mixed feelings about this.

Overall it's great, HOWEVER:

My biggest gripe about the P2V+ was the insanely oversensitive yaw controls with no way to fix this without electrical modifications to the transmitter. As a result, I bought a Futaba T14SG - Despite it sharing the control uplink in the same band as the WLAN downlink (in theory, bad) it seems to be working pretty well - ESPECIALLY the massive improvement in controllability by using exponential control response.

With the P3, I'd have to return to the utterly awful DJI stock controller, or purchase a Lightbridge groundstation (have they confirmed that Lightbridge GS units will actually talk to the P3?) which costs as much as the P3 does.

Unless the P3 stock transmitter has a trainer input port?

The P3 looks really nice feature wise, but I have a p2v+ that I bought last spring that's been great.

I'm actually more interested in finding discounted parts, batteries etc for my current platform than upgrading anytime soon.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Overall it's great, HOWEVER:

My biggest gripe about the P2V+ was the insanely oversensitive yaw controls with no way to fix this without electrical modifications to the transmitter. As a result, I bought a Futaba T14SG - Despite it sharing the control uplink in the same band as the WLAN downlink (in theory, bad) it seems to be working pretty well - ESPECIALLY the massive improvement in controllability by using exponential control response.

With the P3, I'd have to return to the utterly awful DJI stock controller, or purchase a Lightbridge groundstation (have they confirmed that Lightbridge GS units will actually talk to the P3?) which costs as much as the P3 does.

Unless the P3 stock transmitter has a trainer input port?
From what I've read, Lightbridge GS units will not work w/ the P3. However, apparently the Inspire remote will.

dude, take it right back out. P3's wont ship for a few weeks and you need something to fly in the meantime!

I decided to keep my +v3 and fly it until my P3P arrives! bbfpv, you made a good case! Besides, I own more than one car (convertible and a hot little red sports car) and I drive each according to my mood. I think this will be the same!

Mostly though, I liked your suggestion of using one of my Phantoms to find the other one when it gets lost! That was funny!

Reactions: bbfpv
The P3 looks really nice feature wise, but I have a p2v+ that I bought last spring that's been great.

I'm actually more interested in finding discounted parts, batteries etc for my current platform than upgrading anytime soon.

For sure, and I mean absolutely for sure, there will be a plethora of used P2V+ v2 and v3's available, very shortly!

For sure, and I mean absolutely for sure, there will be a plethora of used P2V+ v2 and v3's available, very shortly!

We're going to need an Ark to survive the coming flood of used P2s.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31